Sign in to follow this  
Yui

EULCS Playoffs and Promotions!

PLAYOFFS ALL AROUND!!!  So the EULCS is set up identically to the NALCS.  Again the At the end of these next few weeks we will know who will be representing regions at worlds, which is just around the corner!  I am super excited for this!   Just as a refresher the championship points for eligible teams in EU are as follows:

G2: 90

Fnatic: 50

H2k: 30

UOL: 10

Splyce: 0

Giants: 0

(Both OG and Team Vitality had points from the Spring split.  OG is not eligible for the promotion tournament as they were relegated in the summer split by finishing 9th.  OG drops to 0 championship points from 70.  Team Vitality's 10 points will automatically place them in 7th as the minimum gained championship points from the summer split playoffs is 20.)

These points come into play with the 2nd and 3rd seed for worlds.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How do teams qualify for Worlds?

An excellent question.  The team that wins the summer playoffs bracket takes the first seed for Europe.  So any of the 6 teams that qualified for that tournament can represent EU as the #1 seed.  

The #2 seed is determined by who has the most championship points.  The team that has acquired the most points over the 2 splits will take the 2nd place seed for the region.  The points up for grabs in the summer playoffs are 90 to 2nd, 70 to 3rd, 40 4th, and 20 to 5th and 6th.  Remember that 1st is and automatic qualification and doesn't award any championship points

the #3 seed will come from the Regional tournament.  This tournament will occur after the playoffs and be a gauntlet style tournament that is seeded based on circuit points after the playoffs have finished.  The winner of that gauntlet will represent EU as the #3 seed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cool!  So who's playing in the Summer Playoffs?

The top 6 teams from the regular season qualified.  Each match is a best of 5.  Here's the bracket:

c5338ce23fc3baceafb57d1eb3a19ec0.png

EULCS and NALCS playoffs run along the same dates.  So the first games of the EULCS playoffs are on Satruday, August 13th.  The first week features #3 GIA vs #6 UOL and #4 H2K and #5 Fnatic.  I'm hoping that Fnatic can advance and make it again to worlds this year but both matches should be good ones.  The winners will advance to the semi-finals and face Splyce or G2.  The lower seeded winner will face G2 while the higher seeded winner will face Splyce.

What's this tournament playing this weekend then?

That is the promotion tournament.  It is where the challenger teams that made it through the Challenger series play the relegated LCS teams.  The top 3 teams from this tournament will qualify for the 2017 EULCS spring split.  Matches again are Bo5's.  Here is the bracket:

13da1d593cb24e0a652046dcc9ac14e1.png

Games start this Thursday the 4th of August with #2 Challenger seeded Roccat vs #10 LCS seeded Millenium.  The loser of this game is relegated out of the LCS and their climb back will start again with the challenger scene.  The winner of that game will face Schalke (#8 LCS).  The winners of the games on August 6th will qualify for the LCS while the losers will play one more match on the 7th to try and qualify for the LCS.  Winner of the game on the 7th will qualify for LCS while the loser is relegated to the Challenger scene.

Predictions?

While I hope that Fnatic goes far in this tournament, they haven't proven in the season that they are a top EU team.  I think if they focus while on this break they can regroup and progress through the bracket well.  They have the experience on their roster to do so but it depends on how well the buckle down and perform on stage.  G2 has also looked strong during each split so it will be interesting to see if they can manage to come out on top again.  I know they will be itching to redeem themselves on the international stage.

Thanks for reading!

MIL is out!  Roccat advances to the next round:

1 Rocccat vs Schalke --------------l

3 Loser1 vs Loser2 

2 Misfits vs OG ---------------------l

LCS: Winner1, Winner2, Winner3

the OG vs. Misfits series was pretty good to watch.. Misfits had way too much hype. I don't understand why these CS sides get so much hype, they usually fall to the LCS teams. I had a feeling OG would win 3-1 based off of experience, but misfits got it to game 5. I think they can beat S04, but I'd probably still lean 3-2 S04 unless Misfits can play cleaner than today.

I'm kind of surprised ROCCAT beat S04 to be honest. But Steeelback has actually been really damn good all split long on such a bad team. He's a true carry. 

EU was a little closer than the NA series for this round.  I did enjoy the OG vs Misfits game although it was rather plagued with throws.  On to the final rounds!

1 Rocccat vs Schalke --------------l

3 Schalke vs Misfits 

2 Misfits vs OG ---------------------l

LCS: Rocccat, OG, Winner3

Promotion over!  Misfits took the last EULCS spot with a 3-1 win over Schalke.  I am a little sad to see them go as I thought it was cool that an organization like Schalke would sponsor a league team.  On to playoffs!

1 Rocccat vs Schalke --------------l

3 Schalke vs Misfits 

2 Misfits vs OG ---------------------l

LCS: Rocccat, OG, Misfits