Sign in to follow this  
Yui

NALCS Playoffs and Promotions!

Hey all!  So its that time of the year again, Summer Split Playoffs!  At the end of these next few weeks we will know who will be representing regions at worlds, which is just around the corner!  I am super excited for this!  It should be interesting to see how the top three spots shake out this year.  Just as a refresher the championship points for eligible teams in NA are as follows:

CLG: 90

TSM: 70

IMT: 50

TL: 30

C9: 10

Team Envy: 0

(Team NRG has 10 points but will not qualify for the regional tournament as they placed 9th in the summer split and cannot gain anymore points)

These points come into play with the 2nd and 3rd seed for worlds.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How do teams qualify for Worlds?

An excellent question.  The team that wins the summer playoffs bracket takes the first seed for North America.  So any of the 6 teams that qualified for that tournament can represent NA as the #1 seed.  

The #2 seed is determined by who has the most championship points.  The team that has acquired the most points over the 2 splits will take the 2nd place seed for the region.  The points up for grabs in the summer playoffs are 90 to 2nd, 70 to 3rd, 40 4th, and 20 to 5th and 6th.  Remember that 1st is and automatic qualification and doesn't award any championship points

the #3 seed will come from the Regional tournament.  This tournament will occur after the playoffs and be a gauntlet style tournament that is seeded based on circuit points after the playoffs have finished.  The winner of that gauntlet will represent NA as the #3 seed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cool!  So who's playing in the Summer Playoffs?

The top 6 teams from the regular season qualified.  Each match is a best of 5.  Here's the bracket:

286220e19de160590e499e99a96b1b98.png

The first games of the NALCS Playoffs start on Saturday, August 13th.  The first week features #3 C9 vs #6 Team Envy and #4 CLG vs #5 TL.  These are 2 very exciting games and I am especially looking forward to the CLG vs TL game.  These two teams have been very close in skill and style this split and it should prove to be a great best of 5.  The winners will advance to the semi-finals and face TSM or IMT.  The lower seeded winner will face TSM while the higher seeded winner will face IMT (So if Envy win they will automatically face TSM as they are the lowest seed even though they are next to IMT on the bracket).

The 13th huh?  What's this tournament playing this weekend then?

That is the promotion tournament.  It is where the challenger teams that made it through the Challenger series play the relegated LCS teams.  The top 3 teams from this tournament will qualify for the 2017 NALCS spring split.  Matches again are Bo5's.  Here is the bracket:

14c8dd2a8e84bf262667585a7013191f.png

Action starts this Thursday the 4th of August with #2 Challenger seeded TL academy vs #10 LCS seeded Echo Fox.  The loser of this game is relegated out of the LCS and their climb back will start again with the challenger scene.  The winner of that game will face Phoenix1 (#8 LCS).  The winners of the games on August 6th will qualify for the LCS while the losers will play one more match on the 7th to try and qualify for the LCS.  Winner of the game on the 7th will qualify for LCS while the loser is relegated to the Challenger scene.

Predictions?

So what do you all think?  I think that TSM will take the #1 seed for North America.  Aside from their one hiccup against P1 they have looked unbeatable in a best of 3 series.  They play well and the squad is looking much better than last split.

For the promotion tournament, I haven't been able to watch much of the challenger scene but I know that C9 Challenger and TL academy are very closely matched and if they have had any oppertunites to scrim with big name LCS Teams (like their parent teams) then I think they will advance out.  I don't think P1 will have trouble qualifying for the LCS.  Their trend in the last few weeks has been positive and they have looked much better than the early parts of the split.

Thanks for reading!

10 minutes ago, vVv Eternal said:

That's how I felt last split... then the finals happened.

Well to be fair TSM was 9-9 at the end of the split.  They also went up against CLG who played out of their minds in a 5 game series that basically was determined by one team fight.

TL academy is out!  It was actually a really exciting series, ending 3-2 in favor of Fox.  If you didn't get a chance to watch it I'd say go back and watch it.  Fox advances to the next round:

1 P1 vs Fox -----------------------------------l

3 Loser1 vs Loser2 

2 C9 Challenger vs NRG ---------------------l

LCS: Winner1, Winner2, Winner 3

Kinda thought TLA would beat Echo Fox to be honest... I'll be interested to see what happens with Piglet next season, he's too good to rot in challenger.

7 hours ago, vVv Yui said:

TL academy is out!  It was actually a really exciting series, ending 3-2 in favor of Fox.  If you didn't get a chance to watch it I'd say go back and watch it.  Fox advances to the next round:

I didn't think the series was that great. Both teams played rather poorly in terms of macro and individual mistakes. 

NA day two was a day of stomps.  Both games were 3-0's.  It will be interesting to see where the C9 Challenger spot goes.  I find it interesting that some of these promotion tourny games lead to more money than winning the world championship.

1 P1 vs Fox -----------------------------------l

3 NRG vs Fox 

2 C9 Challenger vs NRG ---------------------l

LCS: P1, C9 Challenger, Winner 3

Promotion tournament over!  Fox smashed NRG 3-0 giving them the last LCS spot for the 2017 NALCS.  Now on to playoffs!

1 P1 vs Fox -----------------------------------l

3 NRG vs Fox 

2 C9 Challenger vs NRG ---------------------l

LCS: P1, C9 Challenger, Fox