ShiroSan

Learners Night

Hey everyone, i just joined the admin staff on supersonic showdown and i had an idea to share with the vVv community.

New Player Night

I figure a lot of people would like to get into or at least try to play rocket league, and that most of the community would like to get better. Hence my idea, Why don't we have a night devoted to helping these  players learn the game and improve their skills, positioning, or any aspect. My idea is this, have a tournament where the players are newbies, or people that haven't had a lot of time with the game yet, they form teams and are paired with a coach that has had a lot of time within the game or is very knowledgeable about its concepts. After every set, the coaches will have time to go over the games and review or point out areas that could use improvement, the coaches would also be able to spectate the sets so they could see first hand on what would need to be improved. The review time of the tournament would be why it might have to start a bit earlier in the day just so it wouldn't run till the break of dawn. I feel that the game experience along with the guidance of a couch that knows the game well would help improve any player tremendously. I would like any opinions or suggestions of what should be changed including how much review time, i felt like 5-10 minutes would be a good amount or how you think about this idea. The only hold-up would be getting in touch with coaches and finding players that would be willing to put the time in.  Thanks for reading this and have a good day.

-Shiro

Edited by ShiroSan

Hey Shiro and congrats on becoming admin! Rocket league is amazing, fun and challenging. I mean cmon! Who doesn't like hitting a giant soccer ball with an RC :P lol. But seriously Shiro I like your idea on this. Instead of a coach for each team, why not just have a team captain? The role of a team captain is to help players, vision the team and the direction he/she wants it to head, and if they wanted to go more in-depth with it, they could also make a play book for the team to run and practice on before scrims. Just a thought I had.

On a side not, are you talking RL for PC or console? I used to play it on PS4 awhile back.

PC. And while i dont oppose the idea of team captain i feel that if they are playing the game they would be focused on the game and not on small mistakes that the newer players might be making, that is why i feel a coach that can spectate and review would work out better

Edited by ShiroSan

I like this idea, we have had similar attempts in our League of Legends department that didn't quite work out.  I still though believe this can work.  In order to make it work you need a clear action plan.  Have you sat down and wrote steps on how you are going to achieve this?  A simple bullet point list that states I need to do this, this and that by this and that date can make this kind of project run a whole lot smoother.  If you haven't I advise you to do so.  Once you have a clear action plan we can discuss further on how to make it a reality.

I had a talk with Saturn about the idea and we came to some good suggestions and changes. Format: instead of a tournament that has a 4-5 hour comittment we break it down into hour long sessions with the coach. The thought of a long time commitment might not interest coaches so this way we can work around their availability. Lesson plan: coaching would be 1 on 1 with player and coach which allows for them to get the most out of that hour asking questions and being shown things in practice mode. But it would be limited to general questions such as "how to handle in the air" or "how do I start a dribble". Players would also be able to bring replays to be analyzed and gone over. The coaching program would also extend to lower skills teams although those would need to provide replays before coaching. An idea we had was after a TBD amount of weeks we have a midterm tournament for students to show their improvement or progress. Coaches: coaches would provide us with an hour time frame that they are available and that time would be visible for any wishing to sign up. It will be up to the coach if he is willing to work with a team or if he just wants to do one on one. Thought points: I still am in the process of thinking on ways to advertise this, or of punishment for those that no show or troll during coaching. I am also thinking of forms of incentive but this is why we have this for discussion. Another problem I have would be forming connections with coach's but that can worked out. Sorry for the long post keep feeding suggestions to me and let's make this a thing

Finding coaches might be the most struggling thing in all this. Times, dates & places can all be adjusted accordingly. The first step is to find people who are willing to be coaches, fill them in with the info you've came up with thus far and see if they still want to work with it. Promoting your idea to social media is the best outlet to gain credible or not so credible people, so choose wisely. The best place to promote if you haven't done so yet, is go to RL's website on the forums and pitch your idea. I am pretty sure you will get bites at the chance, but again it all boils down to credibility which is also a struggle in itself.

I know I am ranting on and on so I apologize for that. If you need help Shiro i'd be happy to lend a hand if you'd like.

Im down to help out and coach if need be. Im not the best player but I def know what to do and not do. I was playing with shadow yesterday showing him some cool stuff and teaching him how to fly.

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Please enter your display name