Sign in to follow this  
vVv Saturn

Season 2 Ranked Changes!

If you haven't seen the latest announcement, Psyonix released their plan for Season 2 of Ranked play. If you want to read it: http://steamcommunity.com/games/252950/announcements/detail/92689497762318623

TL;DR: They are removing ranked points and moving to a tiered rank system, where you can focus less on individual games and more on consistent improvement. https://gyazo.com/935c526a2ea4e280552d55c6a54aa9e4

This all seems great, but it now makes the selection of picking Captains for the Draft event a bit more challenging. Before when there were defined rank points it was pretty easy, 8 highest (or however many needed) ranked players were picked as captains. Now that they removed that number all we are left are with tiers.

I am asking all of you, other than tier alone, what are your ideas on how captains should be selected? After all, we want an event where everyone has an awesome experience. It would be terrible to use a system that a few of us like, but not the community.

Edited by vVv Saturn

You could do a lottery system that makes it fair for each individual "Champion" player to have an even chance at becoming a captain. This would encourage consistent tournament participation from any user champion or not, because users who want to play with a certain champion who don't get picked or that champion isn't a captain that week would want to come back weekly to join for another chance. It encourages champions to come back as well for the chance to be captain (again if already done it before). 

I was thinking to make use of the Leaderboard system, if applicable, the higher ranked you are on vVv Leaderboards, the more chances you have at being a captain.  So if we have 10 captains and we need 9, we can see which of 10 have a higher rank.

This is just a suggestion, but I feel it would encourage people to come back and play more often for that higher rank.  Let me know what you think.

I don't know if anyone else is of this opinion, but I personally would prefer not to be captain. The randomness of not knowing who is going to pick you is more fun and I feel it allows you to meet more new people. For this reason I wanted to know if it's possible to add a question in the google form such as, "Would you prefer to be a captain?" with a yes or no response. I'd imagine most people would like to be a captain and in that case Bagzli's idea from above would be ideal to use to select from the people that want to be captains.

Just to play devils advocate here but randomizing the team cpts is a way to provide every player with an equal opportunity at being a team cpt. Assign each player a number, maybe use the row number of the excel spreadsheet we are using to track. Then run a random number generator to pick x number of cpts in no particular order. It may not be a particularly great idea because there are more variables but if anything it creates an absolutely neutral way to approach the situation. 

If we can use the upcoming ranking system somehow if there was a sensible way to do that, then I would go with that. But based on the conversation in teamspeak I think its fair to say that we are going to be hard pressed to rely on that until we have more details. So maybe as a fallback strat all that shit i said in the paragraph above. 

I'm not particularly fond of the idea that captains may not be the best players in the tourneys. Part of the reason I and others who I've played with in the vVv tourneys like the draft so much is that because the higher ranked players are the captains it gives everyone that joins a relatively decent chance to win, or at the very least do well. If we do random captains then we'll get situations like what happened with the finale where Pluto/Zane were on the same team and ran the table with relative ease.

I don't really see much of a reason why the captains can't be picked the same way they have been. Yeah you can't really go by the pure numbers anymore, but there are more divisions in the new system and I can't imagine there will be a major problem with people being in the same division. And at the cutoff for captains, if there are players in the same division you can do that randomly or go by the leaderboards. 

12 hours ago, -Derek said:

what happened with the finale where Pluto/Zane were on the same team and ran the table with relative ease.

*cough* Pluto/Zane/Cherp *cough*

Edited by vVv Cherp

So with the announcement of 3 new maps coming to the game, and confirmation from a developer that all 3 of them will be available in private matches, I think the question should now be asked if vVv should start doing tournaments, part of tournaments (say the semis and/or finals), or the finale like they do the RLC Pro League, and have teams pick maps to play on. At some point I definitely think this is how it should be, regardless, though.

On 2/4/2016 at 10:47 AM, vVv Bagzli said:

Just to clarify, you are suggesting that we let teams decide their own maps? 

Yeah. In the RLC Pro League each team chooses the maps that are played on. The home team chooses 3 and the away team chooses 2. I don't think it should be done for entire tournaments, or even all of them, but if it is done, should be at least for the semis and/or finals.

2 hours ago, vVv Cherp said:

i like that idea, it could possibly screw some teams over completely tho

That's the point. The whole idea of picking maps is so that one particular team has an advantage. It's like home field advantage in professional sports.

Edited by -Derek

Sign in to follow this  

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Please enter your display name