Sign in to follow this  
Sun Down

Sun Down Theory Crafting/LoL AMA

Hey guys so the forums have been pretty dead and on top of that void of any real game discussions. I figure at this point I've been playing League since late Season 2, have logged over 6k ranked games in 4 seasons, have played from every MMR from bronze 4 to diamond 3 and also am known for playing literally any champion anywhere with any build. In light of this, I bet there are some questions regarding certain situations, lane match ups, objective fights and build paths that I can help you guys answer/work out.

I'll answer any question posted in this thread and will be checking it regularly!

Example Question 1: Hey Sundown, I'm having a hard time closing out games when we are slightly ahead but not snowballing, what are some tips you have to accelerate the end of the game and help turn some of those close loses into wins?

Example Answer 1: I feel this is a pretty typical problem for a lot of players of SoloQ in general. My advice would be to look and see how LCS and LCK teams are able to take 2-3k gold leads and turn them into 7k and a game end in 10 more minutes. My first advice would be to get solid control over the scuttles and use that to gain wave control so ideally your sides are pushing and your team can group middle. What this allows you to do is pressure middle while they lose CS to the sides, and more importantly allows for you to move your wards up into their jungle. Make sure to type to your team for everyone to get a few wards and to try and move the team vision up the map. If you do this, lead by example and buy a few wards, putting them in entrances from the enemy base into the jungle, and then use that vision to group, pressure towers and create picks in the jungle.

Example Question 2: Hey Sundown, I for the love of god can't win when the enemy team has a hecarim, and I feel particularly responsible because I main top. What's the best way to beat hec in lane and neutralize his overall map presence?

Example Answer 1: Well banning is the best overall counter and hec isn't undeserving of a ban. The first thing to do is try to run into his top side and see if he is starting a camp. Without smite and even with it he can be killed doing the camp if you get sight, let him tank it for a bit then go all in, because odds are he won't have E or an escape. The next thing to remember is that Hec is a melee champ that is reliant on his speed, gank assistance and sustain. Either play someone that out sustains his sustain so you can trade (WW, Aatrox, Trundle, Cho) or a ranged champion that can push him under turret, escape 1v2 ganks and out harass his sustain (gnar, kayle, kennen, vlad). The third thing to keep in mind is summoner timers. Every time his ignite and tp go down they should be timed, as it will allow your team and you to be aware. IF he TPs to a lane with all his summoners, your immediate decision is if you can push top faster than he can recall and homeguard back, and whether or not your counter TP will be worth the fight. You have about 2 seconds to make this choice so knowing the timings of the summoners is HUGELY important. Also, late game, do not get baited by the W, he's going to dive with ulti/E and turn his W on after the initial dive. You WON'T be able to burst a late game hec with W on so you need to switch targets during that time.

So go ahead and shoot :)

Gnar solo q carry? I once had a 5-0 start in first 10 minutes but it didn't matter because I didn't know how to snowball it.

Build mallet, upgrade your trinket ASAP so you can ward and continue to pressure top. Ask your bot and jungler to deep ward bot and make sure you use your teleports only when you're about to full gnar out. Try not to use your teleport to get back to turret and save it to gank/go to dragon. If you're really ahead, mallet/cleaver and force them to 1v2, 1v3 you. Fight by the bushes all the time due to range+boomerang and its okay to fight in your minion wave as your escape jumps you as far is it would if you were standing behind creeps.

In your opinion, what is a fun AD mid laner to play? It doesn't have to be meta, just someone you find is a lot of fun and has good results when played well? Also, what should I do if my team captain promised me nudes and I never got any? Thanks!

In your opinion, what is a fun AD mid laner to play? It doesn't have to be meta, just someone you find is a lot of fun and has good results when played well? Also, what should I do if my team captain promised me nudes and I never got any? Thanks!

Inb4 quinn

A really fun underated AD mid laner is Gangplank. In a short lane, critplank is able to farm super safely, doesn't have to push and is able to use his W to get out of any tricky situations. And I'm a tease :3

A really fun underated AD mid laner is Gangplank. In a short lane, critplank is able to farm super safely, doesn't have to push and is able to use his W to get out of any tricky situations. And I'm a tease :3

What is a counter to critplank mid and what is he good against? Is there a specific lane he wants to pick into, or is he relatively safe in any lane due to his oranges?

What is a counter to critplank mid and what is he good against? Is there a specific lane he wants to pick into, or is he relatively safe in any lane due to his oranges?

Oranges OP, you'll struggle against people who can out right outrange you and have low CD CC that can go through your oranges. Watch out for Xeraths, Ziggs, Azirs etc. He will win against any melee laners, single spell dependent champs, anyone he can safe farm against.

In before he tells you to build him ap. ;)

In before he tells you to build him ap. ;)

AP and AD Gangplank are both really strong. AP just has a SUPER passive laning phase and you have to know when/how to use your ults effectively. AP will only really do dps after 20+ minutes and 2.5 items.

whats your best way about getting around the later parts of the game with crit plank? I find the later the game goes, the less crit plank gets away with not having any sort of defensive stats. The 2k nuke is nice off of Q but it seems as though he can die before he gets to throw off more than 1 or 2 of them

whats your best way about getting around the later parts of the game with crit plank? I find the later the game goes, the less crit plank gets away with not having any sort of defensive stats. The 2k nuke is nice off of Q but it seems as though he can die before he gets to throw off more than 1 or 2 of them

Vision and using your E like a mini sivir ulti. If you can maintain vision control, find the tank on your team with righteous glory, bring the AD or ap with you and go Fanaticing in the enemy jungler. Between your E, RG and parley plus any CC you bring, that target will die. Make sure to save your W for when you can safely disengage and as soon as W is down, you HAVE to act as a really weak AD caster.

Hey Sundown,

Since I main support and have been away from the game for a while. What are the top three supports right now, and best three bot-lane (adc+support) setups?

Depends a lot on player preference/skill level but I would say Alistar, Bard and Thresh. The best combos being Kalista/Alistar Sivir/Alistar and Kalista Thresh (though there are a lot of dependencies on what your team wants to be doing... CLG ran an amazing bard ashe last week, cait is really strong, alistar can lane with anyone so can thresh).

Vision and using your E like a mini sivir ulti. If you can maintain vision control, find the tank on your team with righteous glory, bring the AD or ap with you and go Fanaticing in the enemy jungler. Between your E, RG and parley plus any CC you bring, that target will die. Make sure to save your W for when you can safely disengage and as soon as W is down, you HAVE to act as a really weak AD caster.

Depends a lot on player preference/skill level but I would say Alistar, Bard and Thresh. The best combos being Kalista/Alistar Sivir/Alistar and Kalista Thresh (though there are a lot of dependencies on what your team wants to be doing... CLG ran an amazing bard ashe last week, cait is really strong, alistar can lane with anyone so can thresh).

I would also throw annie in that mix because you know...annie.

I would also throw annie in that mix because you know...annie.

Annie is really good if you prefer a lower skill cap champ. But, Alistar and Thresh offer a lot more utility, being much harder to play though. Ali can still win at lower ELOs and even up to plat without being amazing if you just peel and ulti properly, don't even worry about comboing. If you need to WQ combo in lane, use it when the ADC and sup are standing by a minion and you can W to that Creep then instantly Q. However, Ali can be played just as a heal/peel bot. Max E, W away the most threatening person (jungler/CC/immediate threat, again you have to judge) and walk forward a bit and Q if they keep chasing.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, did you say Bard? Can I ask why? I know CLG did it but for soloq purposes I cant see him being as reliable as some other supports. 

Whoa, whoa, whoa, did you say Bard? Can I ask why? I know CLG did it but for soloq purposes I cant see him being as reliable as some other supports. 

Ability to roam, huge sustain, low low cdr 2 man stuns... ulti for zhonyas and the coin buff is huge help to him as well.

Ive been off to a very rough start this season, starting in Gold I and getting demoted to Gold IV, however Bard has been by far my most succsessful champion other than gragas, now that Ive picked him up. He is really good at saving dumb teammates, can keep two people stunned for 1/3 the total time in a fight regardless of length, and has a rediculous ability to pick fights when you want them/avoid fights when you don't. You basically get to make every important decision for your team, making it much less likely for there to be communication mistakes or idiocy.

Ive been off to a very rough start this season, starting in Gold I and getting demoted to Gold IV, however Bard has been by far my most succsessful champion other than gragas, now that Ive picked him up. He is really good at saving dumb teammates, can keep two people stunned for 1/3 the total time in a fight regardless of length, and has a rediculous ability to pick fights when you want them/avoid fights when you don't. You basically get to make every important decision for your team, making it much less likely for there to be communication mistakes or idiocy.

This basically. You can control the game while being supposed to roam. Don't get me wrong he's high skill capped but still stupid strong.

Do you have any tips on communicating in soloq? I'm only in bronze 1 in my first season of ranked as I try to get into Silver and the biggest issue I have is trying to communicate and get team mates to listen. It's tough because it seems like most of the time people just care about their match ups in lane and worry about their KDA and not playing as a team. Just wondering if you have any advice for that kind of stuff in game.