Sign in to follow this  
Voison

Voison's HotS application

Name:
Kenny 'Voison' Gordon (Old vVv name was Volcom).

North Carolina (Was in Illinois for 26 years though!)

Summoner Name:
Voison

What is your current division in Ranked?
Currently still in placements. 2-3 so far... Damn feeders. I was silver awhile ago and Bronze before that. We'll see.

How long have you been playing ranked?
Since season 2, but I've taken long breaks from ranked and LoL off and on. 

What rank were you at the start of last season?
I was not ranked last season, due to taking a break from ranked.

What rank were you at the end of last season?
Wasn't ranked.

What is your favorite champion and role? Why?
As of right now I'm really liking Ekko. Why? Well because he's a lot of fun and has a lot of potential to be a great champ, if played right of course. He can play in mid, top, or even jungle if you get hard leashes at the start. He CC and jump skill can be very deadly when ganking or pushing a lane. 

I also really enjoy Support Morgana or Sona. When I have to play a support role, I normally pick one of these due to being familiar with and comfortable with. Wards... MOAR WARDS!

How did you hear about vVv Gaming? Were you referred to the site? If so, by whom?
I was referred back in the Gears of Wars days. I think it was actually a fake member I faced in a ranked match. It was so long ago I honestly don't remember the name. Back in my day red was Gears of War and Orange was UT3 or Rainbow Six, you young whippersnappers!  :preved: 

Who do you currently know in vVv Gaming? How do you know them?
I know plenty of people. Jerry, Jordan, Rob, Sugar Bear, JayC, Blazek, Shadow, Buzz, Lithium, Biscuit (You spell it wrong!), etc. I've seen so many awesome people come and go though. (Sorry if I left any names out. Was around for many years)

What are your hobbies and interests outside of gaming?
I really enjoy watching movies and listening to music (who doesn't though). I use to love to draw and mess around in photoshop, but I have been extremely lazy the past few months. My tablet is collecting dust. :( Since moving to North Carolina, I honestly love just going out for walks or long car rides. Moving from flat corn fields of Illinois to the mountains is a huge change!

Have you ever been banned or chat-restricted in-game? If so, why?
I have sadly been banned before. I use to rage a lot. I was also extremely unhappy with life etc then so that didn't help with I got bad teammates in a game with me.

When you play LoL, do you primarily play to win and improve, or do you primarily play to have fun and don't care much about learning or winning?
I play to win and to learn from my mistakes. But at the same time I also play to have fun. I have more fun winning though. I would love to get better in ranked to at least get back to Silver or even lower gold. Who knows, I could maybe hit Diamond someday in the future when the game is dead. :P

Have you ever competed in online or LAN tournaments for any game?
I've competed in some online tournaments before for some games. Nothing major or groundbreaking though. I've always wanted to but either didn't have time, funds, or find people to compete with.

Have you attended any national events? (PAX, LCS, IEM, etc.)
I have no, but I've always wanted too. This question applies to the answer above as well. Either funds, time, or people always seem to hold be back from going to events. I mostly just watch events on twitch now. Oh twitch, whatever would we do without you?! 

What type of organization are you looking to join? What would the ideal environment look like for you?
I'm honestly looking for an organization that can fit my needs... (Isn't everyone?) Basically I want to find a place where I can fit in and always find someone or something to talk to.  (Yes office plant #2, faker is really good). I want a place where I can either feel good about winning and not be afraid to lose sometimes. Failure only makes us stronger and I hope my teammates will help me brush off my knees and help me figure out what I did wrong. Not saying people are forced to do it, but it helps in the long run if teammates help each other. I wanna be in an organization that doesn't cater to the elitist but still has some elitist traits to them. I don't want people to hold my hand through everything but at the same time I want someone who will push me to achieve something great. That can either be Diamond in HotS MMR or simply being apart of a competitive team. 

I understand what vVv does for the eSports scene. They aren't Fnatic, T1, TSM, NiP, etc. This isn't a complaint or to be taken offensively, I think most people reading my app will understand what I'm babbling on about... I hope. vVv helps push amateurs into the scene. I've seen plenty of people go from Silver and Gold and be revamped into top ranking players. Sure they will pick up pro players from time to time, they still help them grow and mold into real competitors. Hell, look at me for an example. I use to be some punk who just wall bounced and trash talked all day in Gears of War 1 ranked games (Oh Warzone... I miss you). I've pretty much matured and learned a lot thanks to vVv and everyone of its members... Except buzz (j/k).  :teehee: Yes, I have left vVv a few times and even been banned a few times too. Remember that part where I said I matured? Yeah, that was all part of it. I should probably stop at some point... RIGHT MEOW!  :crazy_pilot: 

If anyone has anymore questions, concerns, or just want to say hi please feel free to do so. I honestly enjoy posting on forums, so the more you people post on my application, the more I can post! (Do it... I'm so bored)

Edited by Voison

I am shocked! lol

Although, I am curious, what has made you want to apply now after so much time has passed?  I remember trying to recruit you back in Wildstar, but you had a firm stand of not wanting to join.  What changed?

Welcome vision, we had some great games yesterday! That Johanna is broken amirite?

Anyways good to see you apply I think it's great

Yes she is and thank you! :)

I am shocked! lol

Although, I am curious, what has made you want to apply now after so much time has passed?  I remember trying to recruit you back in Wildstar, but you had a firm stand of not wanting to join.  What changed?

Yes, back in Wildstar I was apart of another community back then. Was with them for about 2 years, so I didn't just want to jump ship. After Wildstar was released it was sadly another flop of an MMO. End game was either borken, bugged, or people were win trading and carbine said they'd have a fix within a few months... So I left Wildstar. I stayed with my old group for awhile just posting on Twitter & FB etc for awhile, but after awhile I resigned and left. They sadly wanted to change the way they did things, which isn't wrong on their part but I didn't see eye to eye with what they had planned and still don't. They focused on Archeage and basically mass recruited with VERY easy apps, which I'm against in any community. So for awhile I've just been playing FFXIV, TF2, or HotS. I've always thought about re-applying back to vVv but you've never played/supported any games I really had any desire to play and most staff positions didn't really work for me. I saw you guys picked up / support HotS so I figured now would be a great time to apply. Another reason why I'm applying now is I just got done moving to North Carolina with my girlfriend, so I have a lot more free time now to actually work on an application with vVv. I guess I could also say I just really love eSports (Even though I mostly just watch now of days) and want to be around like minded people. I always had people in vVv to talk to about eSports. Didn't matter if it was LoL, SC2, or even HotS lately. It wasn't anything personal or any silly grudge, Bagzli. I knew you guys did well in Wildstar at launch, we (vVv in general) faced each other a lot in BGs or in open world PvP. "All roads lead back to vVv", I think Jerry said this quote back in the day, which is true for many people. Like I said in my app, I learned a lot from vVv and my old community (Team Legacy). Like how to better manage social media, forum posts, better at talking to people for recruitment purposes, and just basic PR skills. ^_^

TL;DR: I was in another community. Bought into the Wildstar hype and figured my old community would do great things in Wildstar (Since they dominated in GW2 at launch), which they didn't and are basically just a zergfest in MMOs now, even though the MMO world is lacking lately (for me) unless you count FFXIV, which no one seems to play around here or in my old community. :P

OH no, nothing personal.  We had a lot of fun killing you in RBG's :P  I think we still have screenshots around the forums somewhere lol

Jokes aside,

It is awesome to see you here, I'm sure you will add a lot of value to our community should you decide to give it your all.  Best of luck with your app!

OH no, nothing personal.  We had a lot of fun killing you in RBG's :P  I think we still have screenshots around the forums somewhere lol

Jokes aside,

It is awesome to see you here, I'm sure you will add a lot of value to our community should you decide to give it your all.  Best of luck with your app!

Haha, I probably have a few screenshots on imgur somewhere. :P

Thank you. ^_^

Happy  to see you back. Welcome. Many people don't know how much hard work Kenny put into applications while he was here.  He was an excellent app manager, and someone who always upheld high standards.

Thank you Jerry. ^_^

Kenny....hard work.....LOLOL jkiloveu

I know right,  hard work and Kenny in the same sentence!? <33

Edited by Voison

(Airplane smiley spam here)

You know me too well! ... A little too much...  :crazy_pilot:

Hello space man! So what were some of the things you learned about recruiting while you were away?

I've learned a lot. The end. :)

No, but in all all honesty some of the most important things I've learned or improved on is how to handle people. That could range from just new recruits to drama issues between two people. Back when I was staff in TL, my job basically ranged from keeping people happy and feeling welcome, staying active on their social media accounts, recruitment threads, and overall just the "face" of the group. I got to experience first hand dealing with other guilds and even some people from dev team for some games. I learned some new tricks when it comes to social media too, which has helped out with my own personal twitter account. Basically I learned the rights and the wrongs on how to gain new followers, get certain peoples / companies attention, and how to try and keep the followers you have. Like when its good time to post or know when your posting/RT too much etc. I luckily got handed a dead, dusty, abandoned twitter/facebook account to play around with. So if I messed up in the early stages it wouldn't cause too much harm. Did I mention people? Because I LOVE PEOPLE now. Even when it comes to real life, I love meeting new people now. I can honestly say vVv & TL helped me get over some serious social anxiety I had... Well have. Sometime there are certain days I still want nothing to do with anyone and just want to stay home (some days I do that) but it isn't as bad lately though. Blah... Here I am posting my life. :P

TL;DR: PR. People. Social media.  :crazy_pilot:

Edited by Voison

Can you tell me about a couple of the situations you had to handle that stand out the most to you?

And what would you say are the top 5 things you learned about keeping and growing a following on Twitter? I noticed your own account has quite a few followers.

Can you tell me about a couple of the situations you had to handle that stand out the most to you?

And what would you say are the top 5 things you learned about keeping and growing a following on Twitter? I noticed your own account has quite a few followers.

Sure! ^_^

One situation I think really stands out for me was when GW2 first launched and TL (My old community) was told to basically stay away from the GW2Guru forums. The GW2guru forums currently have over 74k members and 2085316 posts. When I say we were told to stay away, it wasn't an official statement from their staff, it was from our leadership. We didn't want anyone to post on the forums (at least the WvWvW (Huge open world server vs server pvp) section) because a lot of our members were getting flamed, attacked, and just failing for the old bait and troll trap. We weren't very liked back then. :P It was my job like I said to basically be the face of the guild. If someone asked a question about TL, I answered it. If someone attacked TL, I responded but in the right manor if I could. A lot of people would get worked up but someone said "TL blows, they lost against super squad" or something along those lines, and then they would get banned for breaking rules and making us look really bad. We had videos on youtube with around 90k and 50k views each, so they were pretty popular in the GW2 scene at launch. We also had a podcast for GW2 that currently has 49761 views on it. So trying to keep a "clean image" was very important for us. There was many times where old members who were removed tried to start flame wars on the forums, or attack our guild recruitment threads. Did a quick search for team legacy and found a few threads made personally just to attack us. :PExample 1. Example 2. I can't find our old recruitment threads, just the one we made right before we left the game, so that isn't a great example. I guess these 2 videos can be used as examples too. Example 1. Example 2. I also helped out in our social events in GW2. We had one called Pink Day in LA. Here is what we did on our server: Example.

The same thing happened in Wildstar too. Not as bad, but I was in charge of all PR / Social aspects for TL. Here was our guild recruitment thread. Example. We constantly had devs watching us, due to how popular we were on social media. We even had one of our members get hired at Carbine. They (Carbine) had a weekly show they did on twitch and we were one of the first people to featured on their "Guild showcase" video. Oh it was called Nexus report. We were one of the biggest guilds on the PvP server. Our recruitment thread had some of the most views and likes on it. Remember where I said I had to deal with people and situations? This is also part of it. So Wildstar had a lot of hype at launch. So much hype even some big twitch streamers tried playing it. One example was towelliee the tank played some battlegrounds. A group of TL members actually got into some of his games. They won most of the matches and wanted to "brag" about it because its towelliee, he's kind of popular. :P So I basically had to do damage control and make sure no one went into his twitch channel or post anything rude/toxic about it. I remember one member did but it was quickly dealt with before anything was posted in public. Like I said, we had Carbine devs following us on twitter, facebook, and had a few in our teamspeak chilling with us on off nights. The last thing I/we wanted was to be the guild that gloats about being a twitch streamer in random PvP battles. Another situation where I had to handle people was I actually led our FFXIV chapter for awhile, till we got closed beta access to Wildstar. I ran the whole chapter of around 100+ people playing with is. It was honestly stressful but I think I made it. I set up our rad groups, tried to keep people happy and interested in FFXIV, got certain google docs made to help our crafters etc. I remember we had a few disagreements but there was one pretty big disagreement we had in the guild. One of our members basically got fed up since no one would "hold her hand" and do everything for her, so I had to step-in before it got too ugly. It sadly ended up in 5 people leaving the guild after it was all done, but sometimes you just have to get rid of the bad eggs. Oh, another situation is when I was building our raid team someone got upset because we had 3 healers and only had 2 spots open. One of the spots went to my friend who I've known for years and then the other spot went to me. Which when you hear it like that, it sounds like favoritism. I had to explain and show that my friend and I were the right pick for the two spots. We had "heal offs" and I even switched them and myself out between each other to see how far we/they got in raids. After it was all said and done, people realized that she wasn't as good of a healer as she said she was. I had many issues with loot too, but that is pretty common when you raid in an MMO. People will get greedy. Some people will end up hating you but you just have to be fair about everything, even if people end up hating you. That is something else I've learned while being in my other community. Sometimes you have to be an asshole to succeed.

I got to talk to a ton of devs from Carbine while I was staff at TL, which was pretty awesome. Well I got to talk to a lot of people at Arenanet too, but I can't talk about that too much... hush hush. I remember getting to talk to one of the devs on the art team for Wildstar, was pretty cool for them to look at some of my Wildstar art and compare it and give me pointers. I also got the chance to sit down with a few other devs and go over some of the good and bad things in Wildstar. Honestly thanks to vVv and TL, it taught me what to say and how to say it in a professional manner. I think that really helped when it came to some of the devs really liking us as a community (TL) and hooking us up. I was able to become a forum moderator on a really popular wildstar site because of that, which in returned helped me out in the wrong run on improving my PR skills and social networking etc. 

I guess I can talk about social media now. :P I got other stories if needed.

When it comes to twitter, a lot of people want a lot of followers. Why? Well because it makes them feel popular, feel good, and sometimes look good. So people ask "How do you get so many followers?" Well its not rocket science but it can be difficult if you don't fully understand people or social media. When you see someone with a lot of followers they probably did something to get all those followers. Like lead a company, are a popular streamer, good at finding ways to get attention, etc. The 1st part of how I got a decent following was thanks to vVv. Did you read the post on my app where Jerry said I worked hard as application manager? Yeah, I got the base of my following thanks to that. Back then it was basically mandatory to either follow vVv or myself. It was a great way to earn brownie points for new apps and in return I got a really good following numbers. What I did from there was used that number to gain more numbers. Like think of it this way, if someone tweets to you or favorites one of your post about say Call of Duty and they have over 5k followers, you might think they are a "someone important". I've noticed this back in GW2 and Wildstar actually. I personally gained a lot of followers because I had a decent follow number, and knew when to RT or favorite posts. I mean TL & vVv helped me reach good numbers but it also helps if you know when you are posting too much and being annoying. If I follow someone and they just spam my feed, they get a real quick unfollow. It normally doesn't matter who it is. I don't want to see just one person on my feed. A lot of people don't realize they are tweeting way too much. You can have people like Boogie2988 or Projared tweet too much and lose followers, but its normally just a few hundred which is nothing to them. Now if you only have a following of say 500 people, losing 100 followers isn't something you want. Kind of common sense but somehow people still mess this up. :P Another good way to get / hold followers is to make sure your tweets have quality to them. If you post stuff that has no interest to your following or anything to do with what your account is about (if it for a community etc) then expect to lose and not gain followers. If you post stuff like "FOLLOW ME ON TWITCH GUYZ", why would anyone want to follow you? Like I said, I find it easier to gain and run a twitter account for a gaming community then it is for a personal account. When I rebuilt the TL Twitter and Facebook, it had nothing... I was able to get at least around 1k followers on our twitter and around 1k likes on their facebook page. It was never mandatory to follow/like our social media pages, so I had to gain a following from scratch basically. I was able to get the eyes of a lot of devs by finding their twitter accounts and favoring their posts etc. If someone you don't know favorites your stuff, sometimes you will click on their profile right? Human curiosity is a great way to get someone to follow you. Bait them into trying to find out more about you and then go from there. It helps if you are active on forums or said game. It takes a lot of work to get people to know you. I wouldn't have gained the start of my followers if it wasn't for vVv, but it didn't come without busting my ass on applications and getting "all eyes on me" while I was in vVv. I was staff so of course people followed my twitter. People wanted to be noticed and earn browniepoints. I still apply this today when it comes to twitter. If you look at my current top followers, it will be a ton of FFXIV players. Why? Because I play FFXIV and got "all eyes on me". I reached out to a forum site called "The dream network" and started digging my roots into them. Posting news article and pictures before anyone else could etc. I got noticed by the staff there and was made a Mod. Some of the staff members followed me because I find news quickly and post it on twitter etc. What did they do in return? They made youtube videos and streams on twitch quicker before other people. The people I'm talking about have a HUGE following when it comes to FFXIV. They are some of the biggest guide makers and video makers for FFXIV. So I earned their trust and they followed me. Great. So now lets say you play FFXIV and follow MrHappy (One of the big streamers) and you look at my profile. You know what its going to say? "Followed by MRHappy" because you also follow him, so I've gain a ton of followers because people see MrHappy and others follow me, so they follow me as well. Like I said though, it also helps if you put work into it too. I find news & pictures about FFXIV and post on A TON on forums though. I also made some art for FFXIV player so that helps too. How do you gain followers? Work work work. Be active on forums and make sure people see you (In a good way) and make sure your twitter is easy to find for them. Make art for people and go from there. Make sure you use hashtags correctly and know how twitter works is useful too lol. A lot of people don't even realize that if you post something like "@FFXIV HEY FOLLOW ME" its not going to broadcast to a lot of people correctly, because it starts with @ mention. That tweet will only show up to people who follow you and the person you are tweeting to. This is a great way to not get your words or even you on the spotlight. There are a lot of simple little tips and tricks like that can hold you back from getting your name out there. There are a ton of ways to get followers. A lot of people will follow someone with low follow count and then unfollow them when they follow back. Yes, this will get you quick followers but if you start tweeting stuff they don't care about, say good bye. Why I wouldn't recommend this strategy to people. I get a ton of random followers from people with like 100k followers and they are gone within like 1-5 days later. Another great way to better use twitter is to find programs like managefilter or tweetdeck etc to help you run twitter. Have to be careful though with some of these programs. Another thing you have to remember is to have a good twitter bio. Having a bio like "I like pie" isn't exactly going to help you out when trying to get people to notice you, well unless they like pie too. :P Its also not great idea to have your bio just one giant mess of hashtags. Yes, some hashtags in your bio will help you but they are either an eyesore or will distract people. Having like one or two is great though to help with search engines and finding your profile. Do you want even more tips?! Fine! When you click on a hashtag, you can see either top, live, and accounts. You want to be active on certain hashtags if you are trying to gain a following, so your name pops up in the top posts. Those come up first when you click on a hashtag. :P Try posting news on reddit too. Sites like reddit have become crazy popular in a few years. Make sure your twitter, reddit, forum names are the same (If possible). If you have a twitter name like Bob loves steak, a reddit username like "21212sdw234" and forum names like "Fenix", how in the world do you think people will know that awesome news posted on reddit on said the LoL sub reddit is you? Someone on twitter may find a tweet thanks to a hashtag and remember you posted some awesome news on the LoL Subreddit and follow you to hopefully get more news. One last thing that I find that helped was to plug your twitter everything... Forums, reddit, etc. Make sure people can find your twitter and can find it easily. A lot of people may not have the intent of following you but may even just click on your twitter profile, which helps. You may just gain a new follower because of your twitter bio, picture, or even your top tweet on your profile. Make sure your top pinned tweet is something that will help describe you for people clicking on your profile. It is the 1st tweet they see, so if its something really dumb and out of context, good luck getting that follow. One last thing.... Haha. Use sites like about.me to help get even more views. You can get random people clicking on your profile and have no idea who you are. If you use sites like about.me it helps let people know who you are and what you do. You can even get a ton of views on that site if you uses their tag system correctly. Again, make sure your twitter is easy to find on your page, but not annoying to see either. Like as an example, when you click on my twitter account (Which is mostly used for FFXIV stuff now) you will find my pinned tweet to be a drawing I did. A lot of people will see that and either follow me or tweet to me about commissions or "How do I get a drawing like that", "Can you draw my char for me", etc. I made a post in the FFXIV subreddit one day with A TON of pictures for the new expansion that is coming out. I also posted it on facebook groups and twitter. The imgur album had my twitter URL on it. I gained some new followers from that alone. Took a few hours to make the album, but sometimes its worth the work.

Top 5 TL;DR?

1. Don't post too much but post enough. You may have to find a perfect balance.

2. Stay on subject. Don't post 50 tweets about something your followers won't give a damn about.

3. Learn how to use hashtags correctly and how the little tricks to twitter work.

4. Work. Work. Work. You won't get peoples attention without spending sometime doing something. Find news for a game you like and start posting it before others. Make sure you use hashtags correctly. Start getting peoples attention some other way, if possible. Make sure its in a good way though. Find something your good at and go from there. Posting game news, art, etc are great ways to get peoples attention.

5. If you already have a decent following, stay active with them. Favorite their posts, tweet back to them, etc. Maybe retweet them once in a while. Let people know you are paying attention to them once in awhile. You don't have to be following people to do this. Go through your followers list and find stuff people post. Favorite or RT stuff you personally like. It will pop up in their notifications every time you RT or favorite something of theirs. Also a great way to get new followers. Anyone tagged in said post will also get notifications too.

There is a lot more but I don't think anyone wants to read a book right now. :P

Edited by Voison

On the forums? Yes.

In game? No. Since the recent news about new hacks coming out have sadly turned me away from HotS. Its sadly going to be like SC2 again. :(

Just patiently waiting for Overwatch now. Hopefully Blizzard's system isn't as easily hack able on Overwatch.

On the forums? Yes.

In game? No. Since the recent news about new hacks coming out have sadly turned me away from HotS. Its sadly going to be like SC2 again. :(

Just patiently waiting for Overwatch now. Hopefully Blizzard's system isn't as easily hack able on Overwatch.

welp they have alread confirmed that they are banning people for them and can detect them and it actually not as bad as you would think. Away thought sorry to see you stray from HOTS hope you come back some time.

welp they have alread confirmed that they are banning people for them and can detect them and it actually not as bad as you would think. Away thought sorry to see you stray from HOTS hope you come back some time.

Hots uses the same engine as SC2, so I sadly don't see anything improving. Yeah, they have been banning people for it, but they did that in SC2 too. I still had a ton of ranked games where I was getting map hacked.  :dash2:

Most likely just going to keep playing TF2 till Overwatch beta comes out.

Might re-download LoL and just goof off.

Edited by Voison