Sign in to follow this  
Fenixsniper

Fenix's Application (Like I said I'm Back!)

• Name: Dennis Muraski
  • Battle.net ID: Fenixsniper#1104
  • What is your Hero League Rank? 49 I've only played 2 HL games. Not a fan of the system or the draft. I am 2-0 though and one of the games is Gazlowe :^)
  • How long have you been playing? I've been playing since a few months into the Technical Alpha
  • Do you have a team league team? Not at the moment!
  • What is your favorite hero? Why? I love Tyrael. I've read /almost/ every novel with him in it, I loved him in Diablo and now I love him in Heroes too. I fell in love with his kit after the 1st rework (at least I think it was the 1st). He's still the only Hero I've gotten 5 killing blows with and the only Hero I've bought a skin for. I love his style of charging into the middle of the team to isolate a priority target so your team can immediately erase them and have an advantage in the fight. Sooo basically I love everything about him. I wish he still had Cast Aside though.
  • What level is your highest hero? Which hero is it? Tyrael, Azmodan and Tyrande are my highest heroes and they're all 9, I haven't spammed one enough to hit 10 but I'm close. I've leveled every hero to at least 5 besides TLV, Johanna and Murky. Most are 7-8.
  • What role do you prefer? My preference is more Hero oriented then role oriented but I'd say either Warrior or Assassin. 
  • Which is your favorite map? Am I allowed to say Battlefield of Eternity even though it's not out yet... I've been waiting for that map since before last Blizzcon! My favorite map to play is Dragon Shire, my favorite map visually is Blackhearts.
  • How did you hear about vVv Gaming? Were you referred to the site? If so, by whom? I no longer remember how I heard about vVv it was so long ago!
  • Who do you currently know in vVv Gaming? How do you know them? Um... everyone because I've been around for a while...
  • What are your hobbies and interests outside of gaming? Warhammer 40,000, Magic the Gathering, other games, reading, ultimate frisbee. I devour lore related things, I've read a ton of 40k, Star Wars, Halo, Gears of War, Warhammer (fantasy) and other sci-fi/fantasy novels. I like the idea of a world different from our own, and the interesting things that populate them.
  • Have you ever been banned or chat-restricted in-game? If so, why? Not even once :D never had a report deal pop up either.
  • When you play Hots, do you primarily play to win and improve, or do you primarily play to have fun and don't care much about learning or winning? I play to win. Winning is fun. Learning is important and even when I am playing "for fun" there's still stuff I can learn.
  • Have you ever competed in online or LAN tournaments? Unfortunately not because I'm usually working while such events occur. I'm currently trying to find a new job or work out a schedule with my current one so I can compete in Heroes or cast.
  • Have you attended any national events? (PAX, LCS, IEM, etc.) Not as a competitor but I've been a spectator at several MLG Dallas events, may it RIP.
  • What type of organization are you looking to join? What would the ideal environment look like for you? I'm looking to join an organization that will provide a good environment to have fun while still improving myself regularly. The ideal environment would have events focused on improving regularly, whether that's having people around who are super specialized at one hero that help you learn that hero or people to analyze games for you or you for them. An environment where people want to get better and want to help others get better and improve the quality of play and of the games community at the same time.
Edited by Fenixsniper

Hey man, good luck on your app. Just wondering, what is your favourite army in 40k and what army do you play? Also, what deck do you run for MTG? Standard/Modern/etc?

@Unverclopt I'm building a new Raven Guard army right now but that new Khorne stuff is tempting me to change my mind. I don't really have a favorite though I like almost all the armies and am a total 40k lore junky. I typically run a blue/black or blue/white deck, almost always standard.

Hey Fenix, you've been around a really long time and have maintained a really high level of activity during that time, so thank you for that! Do you feel you've been able to make a lot of friends since coming to vVv? What do you feel differentiates what you would describe as a "competitive and friendly" community versus one that is all competitive or all friendly? Do you feel you've been able to experience that here? Why or why not?

I do feel like I've been able to make a lot of friends, despite my hiatus. I feel like in a pure competitive community if you're not at the top of your game and able to compete you aren't wanted, which is a really hard environment to stay in for long. On the other hand in vVv people from all skill levels of play aren't just allowed in games, but are welcomed in them. At the same time for the more competitive people there are options to take advantage of from ADL to the team initiative etc. That's the difference, in my opinion, vVv is a friendly environment where you can be competitive, but don't have to be. I feel like I have experienced that here. Even if I don't always have the time to always enjoy the more competitive aspects I can always find someone who is willing to play something, or willing to help, or even willing to ask for help. There's a lot of good communication and that's a key thing vVv possesses. As for an "all friendly" community I think all communities, competitive or not, should strive to be friendly, and vVv is one that succeeds on that front.

I feel like you do, for the most part. I think it got a little lax for a short time before I disappeared because everyone was super busy but I think that as of now you do for sure. You certainly ask everyone to strive for excellence, but it's on us to deliver!

I'm curious specifically with regard to this statement " I feel like in a pure competitive community if you're not at the top of your game and able to compete you aren't wanted, which is a really hard environment to stay in for long."

Why do you feel it's harder to stay in an environment where the focus is just on skill versus one where we appreciate the diversity of ways people can add value, even though the level of expectation is the same for both?

I think it's a lot easier to burn out and people burn out much faster in a purely competitive environment, which isn't really a good thing for a community, or at least not one that likes to keep people around.  In a community where if you're not good, you're not wanted it's hard to stay around when people don't like you. Conversely in a a community where "the diversity of ways people can add value" is appreciated, people can take a break if they need to but still be comfortable hanging out with the people they've met and can contribute in a meaningful way doing other things. I also feel like the level of expectation isn't the same for both, striving for excellence and working on a high standard in a community like vVv isn't as much about your gameplay, it's more about who you are as a person. Playing the game and trying to improve are important but they aren't the be all end all. I feel like in vVv you want people to be the best people they can be, but in a purely competitive community a lot of people care about nothing but scores and results. They don't give a damn who you are or how terrible (or amazing) of a person you are. Granted they're not all like that, but in my experience many are. I'm not sure how well this answers your question if you want me to try again let me know! x:

I think it's a lot easier to burn out and people burn out much faster in a purely competitive environment, which isn't really a good thing for a community, or at least not one that likes to keep people around.  In a community where if you're not good, you're not wanted it's hard to stay around when people don't like you. Conversely in a a community where "the diversity of ways people can add value" is appreciated, people can take a break if they need to but still be comfortable hanging out with the people they've met and can contribute in a meaningful way doing other things. I also feel like the level of expectation isn't the same for both, striving for excellence and working on a high standard in a community like vVv isn't as much about your gameplay, it's more about who you are as a person. Playing the game and trying to improve are important but they aren't the be all end all. I feel like in vVv you want people to be the best people they can be, but in a purely competitive community a lot of people care about nothing but scores and results. They don't give a damn who you are or how terrible (or amazing) of a person you are. Granted they're not all like that, but in my experience many are. I'm not sure how well this answers your question if you want me to try again let me know! x:

Don't you think you should want results regardless what you're trying to do? Why else are you doing it?

Results are important but you can learn something and improve whether you perform well or not. Even if you don't perform well learning is still a great result. The biggest problem occurs when you aren't learning anything. As to the second question, for fun of course! The journey is just as important as the results! If you're not having fun, why bother?

Results are important but you can learn something and improve whether you perform well or not. Even if you don't perform well learning is still a great result. The biggest problem occurs when you aren't learning anything. As to the second question, for fun of course! The journey is just as important as the results! If you're not having fun, why bother?

So if you're looking for a fun journey, but you found yourself sitting at home watching netflix alone, don't you think the lack of results (finding a fun journey) would bother you?

Are you just calling me out for binge watching on Netflix now? ;_; If you choose to sit down and watch Netflix and it's something you find fun/enjoyable is that not a result and is the experience of the show/movie not a fun journey? No matter what you do (other than nothing if you're not choosing to do nothing) you'll get results, and every result could mean something different to someone. Someone could get 4th place and think they're an absolute failure and take nothing other than their score as a result, or they could see it as they did the what they could given the situation and apply what they learned to improve, in which case the results of their efforts were a lower then they may have liked placing and information they can use to improve said placing in the future. Thinking about it so much it seems like it, like so many other things, is a matter of perspective and how one chooses to see things.

Lol I'm not calling you out! I just think that, like you said, everyone has SOMETHING they'd like to accomplish in life, and even if that thing is a fun journey, not all things are fun to all people. Take, for example, someone forced into prostitution. I think that, unless they really want to be a sex worker, that they need something more than a shift in perspective. They need an actual change in their life to escape that world. Now this is a VERY extreme example, but I hope it helps illustrate what I mean. Do you disagree still? I'm not saying you are wrong, I just really want to know your thoughts on this type of thing :)

The binge watching thing was a joke x: I almost never actually do that. Almost. Anyways, it's true in an example like that it's definitely not a perspective thing.  I'm not quite sure what you're asking anymore though. If we're talking about making changes in their life to accomplish that something they'd like to do then yes, I agree that that is something people should do.

Well the purpose of the questions is to get to know you better and how you think. Earlier you said that you felt that results weren't important as long as you have fun along the way, but I would think that means fun is the result you want to achieve? Would I be wrong in that assessment?