Sign in to follow this  
oplock

Thanks Border Patrol

Hey guys, wanted to give you an update on why I haven't been around. 

I was detained by Border Patrol on my last trip from Canada for several hours. I was not told the specific reason at the time for being dtained however I was able to deduce it when I got home. Upon booting up my desktop, whichI had taken up there, my computer blue screened giving me some sort of Master Boot Record falure. I tore my case apart and found that my SSD had been plugged in incorrectly, breaking the SATA connector. It is my belief that I was detained for the duration of time it took to disassemble my pc, clone the hard drives of my desktop, Surface Pro and other misc electronics I had in my vehicle, and then incorrectly reassemble my desktop, breaking the SATA connector which then fried my system on first boot. All of my belongings were shifted around in the vehicle when I was let go.

Short story, my hard drives are fried, my RAM is fried. I'm typing this from the wifes laptop, while downloading LoL so that I can get some sort of gaming in. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get everything I need, as all of my extra funds have been going into trying to get my side business off the ground. I'll keep you guys posted.

-Op

Edited by vVv oplock

Hey guys, wanted to give you an update on why I haven't been around. 

I was detained by Border Patrol on my last trip from Canada for several hours. I was not told the specific reason at the time for being dtained however I was able to deduce it when I got home. Upon booting up my desktop, whichI had taken up there, my computer blue screened giving me some sort of Master Boot Record falure. I tore my case apart and found that my SSD had been plugged in incorrectly, breaking the SATA connector. It is my belief that I was detained for the duration of time it took to disassemble my pc, clone the hard drives of my desktop, Surface Pro and other misc electronics I had in my vehicle, and then incorrectly reassemble my desktop, breaking the SATA connector which then fried my system on first boot. All of my belongings were shifted around in the vehicle when I was let go.

Short story, my hard drives are fried, my RAM is fried. I'm typing this from the wifes laptop, while downloading LoL so that I can get some sort of gaming in. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get everything I need, as all of my extra funds have been going into trying to get my side business off the ground. I'll keep you guys posted.

-Op

<3 Sorry to hear this bud. Did they give you any explanation afterward? I'm pretty sure they can be held liable for damages in that instance...

I was not told why I was detained, there was a note on my slip that said "TH", which I assume was "Technology Hold". I had several devices out and in plain view, so I must has aroused some suspicion. I've filed a complaint but it will be ~3weeks before they review it.

In my limited experience the Canadian border control is more apathetic than the American counterparts. Regardless, I hope you get your computer sorted soon :)

It was American BP.

So to update everyone, I've had Best Buy Geek squad look it over, but in order to get an official report, it has to be sent out with a 3-4 week turnaround time. I'm looking for someone local in the PDX area to do the same diagnosis with a shorter lead time. In the mean time, I'm going to rebuild the system with a basic MB and cheap-ish i5 CPU so that I can have something. I'm hoping to have something in a few weeks, so I'll be gaming with you all soon.

<3  Op