Sign in to follow this  
Bardo

Add-ons

Aight, so, I didnt use too many addons back when I first played. I remember using healbot, but didnt like it too much. Tried a few actionbar and minimap addons but didnt like those either. ;o.

Now, since I've started again, I've been mainly using:

• Bartender4 (http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/bartender4): It's simple, I can take out the blizzard art at the bottom of the screen, and move the bars to wherever I want them x).

Makes my actionbars look like this:

3Ehpslg.jpg

• VuhDo (http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/vuhdo#t1:description): This shows the members of my party/raid in a better format, and it's also really handy in the sense that it'll show duration of HoT's, an estimate of what my heal will change someone's % of health to, and how long is left on my shield. The best part is being able to bind spells to my mouse buttons. Should also mention that when mousing over someone's window while they're out of range will show me what direction they are. Really good for those times where you lose track of someone. x).

Looks a bit like this on my screen:

tMWUDBN.jpg?1

• Recount (http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/recount): This one is basically just a damage meter, but it can show other statistics. Not necessarily needed, but I like seeing who is doing the most damage x).

Look up Elvui, it's a add-on that improves and changes almost everything about the blizzard ui. Don't know what i'd do without it. Make sure to carefully read how it re assigns shortcuts and the like. 

Edited by vVv WaKai

If you plan on doing any type of raiding you need to have the following addons:

1) Omen Threat Meter.  What this add-on does is allows you to see exactly where you fall on a mob’s threat list compared to everyone else in the raid.  What this does is help you with threat management in the raid of the first few seconds of a pull. Omen is unobtrusive when things are under control, this will help prevent wipes and should be installed.

2) Deadly Boss Mods (DBM).  If you are using an older computer and lots of add-ons give you issues then this is the must have. What DBM adds is an prominent visual and audio warnings to every raid encounter in the game this helps to improve awareness to what is going on. For most encounters, DBM will display timer bars for key boss abilities so that your raid knows exactly when they’re coming. 

3) GTFO.  This mod is great for those raiders that just get tunnel vision and do not pay attention to their surroundings  The add-on itself does only one thing – it blares an obnoxious alarm whenever you’re standing in something that is hurting you.

For those that are planning to take the lead role in raiding here are a couple of add-ons that will help you out:

1) Recount.  Most people probably have this installed anyway (especially if they play a DPSer), so you’re likely covered here.  The reason that you’ll want Recount as a raid leader isn’t for the damage meters (although that information can be useful as well).  On fights where your raid is struggling, you’re going to need to figure out what is going wrong, Recount is a good resource for that.  Recount allows you to see exactly what killed people, and what those people were doing for the ~10 seconds leading up to their death (and whether or not they were being healed, etc).  Recount will also give you visibility into what people are attacking (so that you can find the DPSers that aren’t properly switching targets), and whether or not people are interrupting, etc.

2) EnsidiaFails.  This one might be a bit controversial in your group if you have some defensive and/or soft-skinned types, but it really is a valuable tool that will provide an extra layer of immediate feedback when people make mistakes.  EnsidiaFails (EF) tracks common player mistakes on boss encounters.  These mistakes can be spit out into /raid chat immediately as they happen, reported automatically whenever a boss attempt is over, or reported on demand.  The most common type of mistakes that EF will pick up on involve players that fail to move to avoid damage -this helps ensure that the raid group knows that whatever just happened to them was avoidable, and their responsibility.

Other misc add-ons that I like are

Auctioneer               Raid Frames

Bartender                Vuh’Do

X-Perl Unit Frames    Grid

TomTom                 Decursive

Bagon                     RSA Raeli’s Spell Announcer

Parrott                    Tidy Plates

Edited by vVv Krewel

Other additional mods not included in my earlier list or anyone else's:

Reforge Lite: AMAZING for reforging easily. No math required; just know your stat priorities.

Hermes: If you're tanking, raid leading, and possibly even just healing, you NEED. THIS. MOD. The amount of shit you can configure it to show is astounding. So much of high-end progression is about using cooldowns in the smartest way possible, and that requires knowing the cooldowns of all your external cooldowns. You cannot be a good high-end tank or raid leader if you don't know the external defensive cooldowns of everyone in your raid group.

Weak Auras: Unless something has drastically changed in this last tier I didn't raid, Weak Auras was required for nearly every top 50 guild. You can configure it to show you your debuffs/buffs, lack of debuffs/buffs, debuffs on a boss, external cooldowns placed on you, etc. The part that's awesome for raiding is that each ability a boss casts has a name and you can generally make an aura for every encounter to make it easier. I remember at the beginning of each tier, every guild had their own string of progression auras and nobody shared.

I like to use OmniCC a great addons puts big easy to ready cool down timers on all your abilities and the times are right on top of the ability. May want to check that out.

Ok I think it was Bardo who was telling how much DPS i was doing during the dungeons, what Add-On is that?  Also they were saying something about the Curse DL Client, and it possibly leaking memory and/or Frame Rate problems, is anyone else having this problem?  What do you guys recommend?  Im fairly knowledgable about computers so if you need to get into detail, I'll tell you if you lost me?

Thanks guys

Your Newly Addicted WoW player,

Uncle Doush!

ok i got recount and tomtom, but when the curse download client was open, i did have a memory problem, once i shut it, it stopped, do I have to open the game everytime from the client or once i install i can open from my desktop?

DPS addons:

Maintaining a correct rotation can be assisted by Bitten's SpellFlash addons: But you should learn why this is your rotation. It will change at certain gear levels, or at Blizzard's whim. This is a guide to teach you what you should be doing, and once you understand the underlying mechanics, you will probably not follow your rotation ideally, bowing to movement and certain fight mechanics like clear burn phases, etc.

Detailed data on your performance compared to other raiders is helpful, and a damage meter addon like Skada or Recount is advisable, but do not let the meters dictate your playstyle.

In all honesty, Skada is so much better than Recount on both an information level as well as accuracy.  I would highly suggest swapping out Recount for Skada.

I'll post a screenshot of my UI sometime tonight.  Not finished with it and will most likely be making some changes to it, but it suffices so far for my Resto Druid.

Edited by vVv AmpeD

WoWScrnShot_122713_142653.jpg

Here is my UI.  People might say it's a bit big, but if you think that then just pretend I'm blind and like it this way.

This is ElvUI.  It's 95% of what you see on the screen.  I also use WeakAuras (like the "4" under my name keeping track of my blood charges), and then I use Skada for damage.  I like Skada better than Recount, but either works.

I also have Deadly Boss Mods installed, but people use other stuff now like Big Wigs too.  I think BW is more customizable, but DBM does just fine for me and I'm used to it so I keep it.

Also, dinosaurs.

DPS addons:

Maintaining a correct rotation can be assisted by Bitten's SpellFlash addons: But you should learn why this is your rotation. It will change at certain gear levels, or at Blizzard's whim. This is a guide to teach you what you should be doing, and once you understand the underlying mechanics, you will probably not follow your rotation ideally, bowing to movement and certain fight mechanics like clear burn phases, etc.

Detailed data on your performance compared to other raiders is helpful, and a damage meter addon like Skada or Recount is advisable, but do not let the meters dictate your playstyle.

Ok got the SpellFlash

In all honesty, Skada is so much better than Recount on both an information level as well as accuracy.  I would highly suggest swapping out Recount for Skada.

I'll post a screenshot of my UI sometime tonight.  Not finished with it and will most likely be making some changes to it, but it suffices so far for my Resto Druid.

Ill try Skada I was looking at that but choose what came on top

Here's mine!

This is an old screenshot, but only a few keybindings, weak auras, and mods have changed (I have a different mod to track my raid's external cooldowns better; BL Cooldown kind of sucked).

http://i.imgur.com/NFnGK6P.jpg

Holy SHIT!!!!  

I use a handful, mostly for changing how my UI looks. I generally use recount and deadly boss mods, but I have also heard good things about skada and big wigs. For bars I use dominoes, party frame is X-perl, raid frames are grid2, I use quartz for casting bars, mikscrollingbattletext for the combat text, and then prat for my chat box.

Here is a link to my UI: http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j242/nook_nook/WoWScrnShot_010714_111425.jpg

I use a handful, mostly for changing how my UI looks. I generally use recount and deadly boss mods, but I have also heard good things about skada and big wigs. For bars I use dominoes, party frame is X-perl, raid frames are grid2, I use quartz for casting bars, mikscrollingbattletext for the combat text, and then prat for my chat box.

Here is a link to my UI: http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j242/nook_nook/WoWScrnShot_010714_111425.jpg

Xperl... loved that addon  I remember when it first came out!

Xperl... loved that addon  I remember when it first came out!

I don't know what I'd do without it! I think it looks so much cleaner, and health bars are much easier to see. If I'm using the basic UI, I have to use the raid frames for party to have any good idea of health xD

Some of the add-ons that I use that I don't think I've seen listed yet are:

• _NPCScan: Tracks rare mobs by proximity, making target macros pretty much obsolete. Basically if go in an area where there's a rare mob, or if a rare mob spawns in an area that you're already in, you'll get an on-screen alert as well as a portrait just above your action bars telling you what rare it is. It's clickable, so you can click it to target the mob. The add-on also puts a raid marker on the mob so it's a little easier to find.
  • Postal: Enhances your mailbox and allows you, at the click of a button, to queue all of the mail in your inbox to open automatically, so you don't have to keep clicking. It just queues up the mail and opens it for you one at a time.
  • TomTom: Provides coordinate capabilities in-game and on your map, so if you're hunting down an elite on, say, the Timeless Isle, and someone mentions the coordinates in General chat, you can head over there quickly without having to ask where on the map those coords are. Also allows you to create waypoints to coordinates of your choosing.
  • WiM(WoW Instant Messenger): Just as it sounds, it's an instant messenger. It takes whispers from the chat log and pops up a small-ish Yahoo-esque IM window in-game so you can keep conversations more organized, as each person that whispers you gets their own little chat window. And, when you enter combat, it automatically hides the IM whisper windows so you can see what you're doing.

I forgot to mention OPie. I really love this addon, and it streamlines your UI so much. Totems, Warlock/Pets, Portals/Teleports for mages...

It has a hook in called Spade for farming, that is pure genius.