Sign in to follow this  
vVv Bagzli

Warning: Fake Email from ANET

Hey Guys,

I've received following email twice so far and it always came from "noreply@guildwars2.com". (See Attached).

Basically the email i saying that my account is undergoing investigation and that I need to verify my account.  The email says that I need to go and verify my account or it will get suspended.  They were even so considerate that they included me a direct link.  The link that you see does not matches the website you go to when you click on it.  Here is an example: http://www.yahoo.com  If you click on that link it will take you to the google page and not the yahoo.  So on the top it says one website but when you click it takes you to another.  How you can tell is that if you right click that link and select option "Copy link address" and then go paste that into notepad, you will see it says google link and not the yahoo link.

So the point of me saying all this is to warn you about this fake email.  This is not a legit email from ANET ( I even confirmed it with them, see screenshot 2).  If you get this email, do not click on that link.  Who knows what you will end up downloading on to your computer by just simply loading the web page that this link is taking you to.  Somehow the email came from their email address which is what made me wonder if it is real or not so I contacted them before I did anything.  If you are unsure, just send an email to support@guildwars2.com and ask them about it.

post-32912-0-61373600-1374165772_thumb.p

post-32912-0-74689300-1374165794_thumb.p

Edited by Bagzli

Dude thanks for this they sent me an email saying something similar. I knew something was fishy when they sent the email to my gmail and not my actual email account set-up with GW/Gw2. I swear I was close to sending the info the only thing that stopped me was not being able to locate the email with my serial code in it. I'm glad you brought this to the community attention and I'm glad this email came to me in the 1st place. It actually made me fire back up the GW2 and start playing a lil bit.

9314830259_80814a0c25_b.jpg

Edited by vVv Defyiant

On some browsers, (I use Firefox) when you hover over a link like that the actual web address shows up on a small pop up window to the bottom right of my screen. I used to get these sorts of emails all the time when I was playing wow, and as Bagzli says, if you're at all suspicious contact the ANET or any other MMO publisher directly at their support email to inquire about it.

Another big indication that this is false is, if the GM's are investigating your account for fraud, they aren't going to let you know about it until they've decided your guilty, then BAM, permaban. If you've been investigated and cleared, you'll probably never know in the investigation had even taken place.

Here's the forum post by Gaile Grey regarding these emails:

Players report that they receive emails that pretend to come from us with various claims. These are phishing attempts, and we want you to know a few things about them.

We will not send emails that state that your account will be terminated if you do not respond. We will not send emails that state that an account has been compromised (unless we are responding to a player). Emails of this type are almost certainly malicious in intent.

To protect yourself from phishing attempts, please consider the following:

For matters related to account security, access the official, secure account page by typing account.guildwars2.com. Log in through that page and secure your account.

To see if a link is suspicious, hover over the URL and carefully review the precise details of the hidden, underlying link in your browser. If the URL in the email is different than the underlying link, DO NOT click the link.

To be extra secure, type the URL into your browser instead of clicking a risky link. Alternately, you can copy and paste the visible link into your browser. (Take care you do not copy and use the hidden, bad link.)

We suggest you take the following steps to make sure both your game account and your email account are secure:

Scan your hard drive for viruses, keyloggers, and any other sort of malware, having made sure that your anti-virus software is up-to-date.

Change the password of your game account to a complex password you haven’t used before and that you use only for this game account.

Make sure you are using the additional email authentication for your game account. You can find further information here: https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9192/kw/Authenticator

Alternatively, you can use two-factor authentication if you own a mobile device. You can find additional information about two-factor authentication here: https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9238/kw/Authenticator

Change the password of your email account. You should follow similar rules for choosing your email password that you following in choosing your game account password.

If your email provider offers any two-factor authentication or similar options, take advance of those to further strengthen the security of your email account.

Further information about account security can be found in this article: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/tips-for-keeping-your-guild-wars-2-account-secure

And an in-depth look at security can be found in this post by Mike O’Brien: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/

Edited by Joona

I ended up doing one of those and got my account hacked but got it back. but now its gone again someone hacked my email this time and changed my password and email on the account. sent in a ticket and working on getting it back again.

That looks like a pretty legit phishing attempt.

I used to work at a bank and the admins once sent out a fake phishing attempt to the whole bank just to see who would bite. I was the only one that didn't lol.... of like 200 people