gallery_17235_854_263.png

gallery_4154_65_17133.png

Elgato Game Capture HD Product Review

Introduction

There is no doubt that over the last few years, content creation has been a force multiplier in the growth of competitive gaming. Streaming allows gamers ranging from professional to casual to share and connect with their fans and gaming enthusiasts. Platforms such as Twitch and YouTube have changed the eSports ecosystem and products like Elgato's Game Capture HD enable gamers to effectively share their experience and interact with fans easily without sacrificing high quality and performance.

sml_gallery_4154_416_14922.png                                   sml_gallery_4154_416_7107.png

I was introduced to Elgato after our Call of Duty team placed 3rd at MLG Dallas. Realize was very eager to take advantage of his recent success and expand his following onto other platforms including YouTube and Twitch. I started to do some research on which product had the best performance, yet wouldn't require technical expertise or demanding hardware. Everything pointed at Elgato's Game Capture HD, so I reached out to them to see how we could work together. Realize had purchased his own Elgato, and utilized the exceptional quality to grow his personal brand and fan-base at a very impressive rate. The rest of the team and I were supplied with products and I wanted to test it out for myself and share my experience using the device.

gallery_4154_416_30986.jpg

The Setup: Simple and Quick

Setting up the Elgato Game Capture HD was ridiculously simple. I could immediately tell that this was a product designed for ease of use as everything you need came included in the box. The Game Capture itself is very small in size and has a very intuitive design with a HDMI out which connect to your TV or monitor and the USB which connects directly to your computer. This device requires no external power source, which is unique for this kind of device, and is a testimony to Elgato’s premium quality and thoughtfulness when designing this product. 

gallery_4154_416_21969.png

Included in the box:

• Elgato Game Capture HD         • Quick Start Guide
• USB cable                                 • HDMI cable 
• Component adapter                  • PlayStation 3 cable

Whether you’re streaming to PS3 or Xbox, you will be able to stream minutes after installing the software which can be downloaded here. Once you have the software loaded and settings tweaked to your preference, you’re only one click away from recording and exporting your gaming content for the world to see.

http://youtu.be/0-DZryp05gU

vVv michs09 and Elgato team up for FIFA content

Software Features: The Competitive Advantage

The Game Capture HD has several features that push the device above the competition including Flashback Recording which allows you to capture any moments you may have missed with ease. Elgato is the world's first solution that enables you to instantly connect and stream to YouTube and Twitch in one-click. In addition to streaming integration, you can share your best moments across your favorite platforms including YouTube, Facebook and Twitter through one-click sharing. Finally, the software has basic editing capabilities that allow you to quickly trim and export your gaming moments onto your favorite editing program with ease and convenience. 

elgato-game-capture-hd.jpg

Technical Specifications

• Interface: USB 2.0
  • Input: Xbox 360 (unencrypted HDMI), PlayStation 3 (A/V In)
  • Output: HDMI (pass-through)
  • Supported resolutions: 1080p (simultaneous 60 fps pass-through and 30 fps capture), 1080i, 720p (60 or 30 fps), 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i, 288p, 240p
  • Dimensions: 2.9 x 1.0 x 4.3 in
  • Weight: 5 oz

System Requirements

• Mac: Mac OS X 10.7 or later, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
  • PC: Windows 7 or later, 2.0 GHz dual core CPU, sound card
  • 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port

Conclusion

Whether you're already an influential personality, pro-player or just trying to break into the streaming or YouTube scene, Elgato's Game Capture HD is designed to help you connect, engage and perform. Competitively priced at $179.95, this device has innovative features and an intuitive design which makes well worth the investment: http://www.gamecapture.com/

Pros

• Full 1080p HD
  • Multi-platform capabilities with all cables included out of box
  • Twitch integration
  • Simple setup, sleek and compact design 
  • One click social sharing
  • USB Powered
  • One touch recording and exporting
  • Elgato <3's eSports

Cons

• Editing functions in software could be improved
  • No HDMI for PS3

Big thank you to the team over at Elgato for creating such an awesome product for the community and supporting vVv Gaming!

gallery_4154_40_5926.pnggallery_4154_40_13682.pnggallery_4154_40_9177.png

Nice, I've always had lag issues when I used to stream and considered getting a capture card, but the one I was looking at back then didn't work with i7 processors.  If I pick up streaming again and have lag issues I'll definitely check it out.

Well done on this review. I personally was looking into this, as it was highly considered.

Elgato seems it has the best quality for the price you will be paying.

I was honestly contemplating on getting one of these or something that actually goes internally into my CPU. This was definitely a good read though and very informative.

Nice review Rob the i use Elgato and its by far the best capture ive owned. I've owned Happauge and Monsoon both good but this one takes the cake. Nice read

It's incredible what a small device can produce. Great read Rob, hope to see you stream some Black Ops 2 in the future ;)

Edited by vVv Matter

Nice. I have the black magic intensity it was expensive and only does 720p output to the monitor.....been considering this one for a while. By the way this and paused described, I might get it. Still want to try out the black magic shuttle then decide.

I bought a Happauge PVR just recently and just been wanting to use that right now >.<  I just didn't want to spend that kind of money for something like this (which is a good capturing device) to not enjoy recording.  Will keep this in mind though!

Do you think this will still be worth it with the next gen console capabilities of DVR and live streaming straight from the console?

If you're looking at making streaming a serious hobby or profession, then definitely.

If you're looking to put in no effort, probably not.  But then you probably won't be streaming for long because no one will want to watch your stream.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Please enter your display name