Blazek

Dungeons & Dragons: Neverwinter Now in Open Beta

http://nw.perfectworld.com/

I figured I would make a post as I haven't seen much talk about this game on these forums. The Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter game has gone into Open Beta as of today. It is a F2P MMO game based around one of the more famous locations in the forgotten realms, the city of Neverwinter. While the story and locations are the same, the game hardly seems like a traditional D&D game (either fortunatly, or unfortunatly for some) and has much more of an MMO approach. One of the more interesting aspects of the game (and possibly the biggest reason im willing to give it a try) is the Foundry system which allows players to design their own quests/adventures for others to experience. These can then be voted on by the community so that (i believe) you can then search by type/design or popularity to get a very custom (almost tabletop D&D like) gaming experience.

From the video play the game seems to be really good however, I am not sure for the game as a whole... as of yet I have not still been able to log into the game and according to this queue timer I fall between 23123 and 4560 then it will jump to 187121. I only saw 3 different server area's you could start from and each had about 6k in people or so. From the looks of the forums you have to buy your bag slots and also respects with cash and it seems to run about 10 bucks for a 26 slot bag and also for a 10 slot bank slot(I believe) and from what I am understanding its really the only way to get bag space after you receive a pack from your first quest. Also if this is a BETA then why are they using an active Cash shop? Now for the most part the forums are pretty tame and do have some valid points I just hope to get into the game and find out the how actual gameplay is and everything else they have done but then even after 4+ hours it seems a bit ridiculous to log into a game even if it is in "BETA".

Well I must admit that after finally getting into the game its pretty dam good, and that's just from the opening introduction scene. I am playing on the Dragon Shards as Krewel Lye as a cleric. The characters have good mobility they have a dodging function that is similar to GW2 the cleric that I have seems to be a range class at the moment and has spells that can be casted on the enemies that when you damage them you and your allies gain a portion of there health back. Its pretty fun so far and well see how it goes, its worth the time investment and they are still working on fixing that god awful q.

The que turned me off. . .  especially since I found out that it's a way to get you to buy a pack, the people who pay get less que. .  . after working at RIot, I am so turned off by dev's like this. . . sorry, just don't have the stomach for that kind of cash cow mentality.

the queue times were kind of expected tbh, its no different than rift or swtor at launch just you can buy a founder pack for priority login, which is kind of a cheap way to get people to dish out some cash right now. As for the reason there is a cash shop in beta, thats how many f2p games do it. Basicly "open beta" means launch for many f2p games, just they don't want to call it launch as there are still issues they are working out and don't consider it a final product. But since everything is retained, it might as well be the launch.

I got to play a bit last night, getting my guardian fighter up to 7. The game feels like they took DDO (Dungeons and Dragons online) and said "what can we eliminate to make it more action based" I don't really mind the game style, however it is a stretch to call it a dungeons and dragons game. Names, classes, locations are about as far as it goes. Having said that, it isn't horrible. The game has a fairly standard talent tree so you can play your class differently, you gain npc allies so you don't always have to group, and it isn't completely instanced like many f2p games are. Also I do like that they gave incentives to use the foundry and actually play other players maps.

As of right now I can't say If it is really worth sticking with this title. I will give it a few more days, however if the cash shop really starts to feel necessary and includes unfair prices then i will probably just quit.

The que times were really buggy it was a server patch they did earlier this morning and it seems to have cleared everything up now. I just logged in and it took all about 20 seconds which is great and it puts this game up on my list even further now!! I am seeing more mixed debate with the cash shop, the biggest bitch that I have seen with it was the bag, respect and character slot costs from what I have been reading some people have been buying just the extra slots for characters to avoid the repsec and bag buying since it was the cheapest solution and the leveling time is fairly fast paced.

Edited by vVv Krewel

The que turned me off. . .  especially since I found out that it's a way to get you to buy a pack, the people who pay get less que. .  . after working at RIot, I am so turned off by dev's like this. . . sorry, just don't have the stomach for that kind of cash cow mentality.

Yes I totally agree with you after this patch though it cleared a lot of things up as far a que waiting but with  a totally free mmo game to play its hard to find that good balance. I am hoping that they are just have the high pricing to cover costs then once it becomes more stable and they have a solid base they will drop it down.

With a MOBA style game there seems to be less cost compared to a full MMO so maybe that why the model was more easily accepted and the pricing doesn't seem that high when you go to the in game stores, and with GW2 and even the first year of SWTOR you still had to buy game itself so that helped cover some cost to it meh coming from the old 15 MMO monthly pay per month to this seems odd but in the end you seem to almost spend about as much I suppose.

Yes I totally agree with you after this patch though it cleared a lot of things up as far a que waiting but with  a totally free mmo game to play its hard to find that good balance. I am hoping that they are just have the high pricing to cover costs then once it becomes more stable and they have a solid base they will drop it down.

With a MOBA style game there seems to be less cost compared to a full MMO so maybe that why the model was more easily accepted and the pricing doesn't seem that high when you go to the in game stores, and with GW2 and even the first year of SWTOR you still had to buy game itself so that helped cover some cost to it meh coming from the old 15 MMO monthly pay per month to this seems odd but in the end you seem to almost spend about as much I suppose.

the number jumping thing was a bug, although it never really lost your place in line. there will still probably be a queue during prime time though, but that doesnt really bother me.

As far as the priority queue, that is only for the founder pack that costs $200, so after may 7th (i believe) you won't beable to get it again.

I think the hard thing is to find a balance with the cash shop that makes it seem fair, yet still bring in money. Some companies don't seem to care and really just milk it for everything (bag slots, hotbars, access to content, etc.) while others atleast feel fair to the customer (such as Tera's model). I really haven't looked into the shop so i cannot say as of yet where neverwinter will fall. To me, if it feels necessary taht i spend money just so i can play the game, then that is a big turn off, however if spending money just allows me to enjoy my game more, then i am usually okay with it. (respecs, character slots, exp items etc. fall into this catagory... atleast for me)

Lastly, i play on the dragon server although i don't really have set times that i play atm.

Edited by vVv Blazek

yeah same here I am on the dragon server and on when I can be on I have a few people that are joining me also on here and with this latest patch it makes things a lot easier though I wish we could of had more then 2 character slots but then again im not one for making a lot of alts so it is not all that bad. I am looking forward to trying to do some foundry design though its down right now, anyhow send me a tell or something

I downloaded this game last night and got several friends to as well and we have had a blast playing so far. I was wondering if anyone has made a guild in game yet and if so could I join it?

Yea, add me and I will start the game. LordJerith@vvv_lordjerith on Dragon shard

yeah same here I am on the dragon server and on when I can be on I have a few people that are joining me also on here and with this latest patch it makes things a lot easier though I wish we could of had more then 2 character slots but then again im not one for making a lot of alts so it is not all that bad. I am looking forward to trying to do some foundry design though its down right now, anyhow send me a tell or something

add me, LordJerith@vvv_lordjerith on Dragon