I've been watching. I probably should tell you that I'm not writing this as the owner of vVv Gaming, or even as someone who works in the video game industry. I'm writing to you as someone who has had the pleasure of experiencing vVv Gaming as a community member. I want to share with you some of the things I've noticed, and I want to point to an observation about something. Let's call it, "something special."

I was struggling with where to begin this. I was going to talk about the move to LA and starting at Riot. Those are just facts, though. The right place to start this is at the League of Legends' World Finals. I was sitting between Rob, Kevin and Jordan. Rob leaned over to me, and he showed me a Forbes article that had come out while we were at the world finals. I think it was right there that the journey that has been vVv Gaming culminated in a very special moment for me.

Indulge me. I want to take you back in time. I want you to know something very important. Everything about the World Finals moment... I did not know that any of it was possible six months before. In six months, what was possible changed. In that moment, a 14-year-old, annoying, emo kid, who was at best a B+ Gears of War player had grown into a 19-year-old that accomplished a win for himself and vVv Gaming solely because of his passion for eSports and commitment to vVv.

After that moment, I've been looking and watching what the people in vVv Gaming have been doing. There is something very special going on here. I'm not sure I can list everyone who has caught my attention. I certainly can't list every act of awesomeness I have observed over the past couple of months. What I can do is share with all of you some of my observations.

• Friends. I'm just amazed at how many of you are actually friends.Think about it. How many people in vVv Gaming make up a part of your daily life? Just for myself, Kevin, Nick, Rob, Greg, have all visited already. Nick is visiting again in December, Nathan is visiting in January; it's actually pretty amazing. In 2013, I'm going to make it a point to attend many more eSports events. I look forward to meeting more of you in person.
  • Great gamers. Has anyone noticed that even some of the worst vVv Gamers are probably better than a vast majority of players out there? I've played with people in the gaming industry. I've played with people in the eSports industry. You should all know that you're better. If you think for a moment that the people in vVv Gaming are not skilled then I encourage you to actually get a group of your real life friends together and compare them to the people you play with daily in vVv. Personally, I choose vVv every time.
  • eSports. I'm amazed at how much eSports continues to grow and change. 2013 will be a huge year. New games like Hawken arrive. Season 3 for League of Legends. SC2 Heart of the Swarm. And the eSports leagues will finally be coordinating and working together. Each of you are witnessing an industry emerge, driven on passion and a consistent commitment to excellence.
  • Social. The way we socialize has changed. When we were primarily a console organization, everything relied on the vVv Gaming forum shoutbox. XBL limited us to 100 friends. Chat parties were limited. Now that we have a focus on PC gaming, we use Mumble to connect. I want you to think about this the next time you feel the shoutbox is empty. We don't need to type to communicate anymore. We can just hop on Mumble, have a short conversation and build stronger relationships.

Finally I want to give a few shoutouts.

• Sontran. You have that "something special." You make people laugh. Your positive nature and energy are infectious. vVv Gaming is a better place because of people like you.
  • Voided. Your consistent financial contributions to vVv Gaming are deeply appreciated. You demonstrate that vVv Gaming has real value to you, and you're willing to support our humble efforts. What you contribute is critical. From our servers to our Mumble server, your contributions help keep vVv Gaming running. I appreciate your consistent commitment
  • Paradise. I can see you growing up. You're starting to leverage your experience in vVv Gaming to drive positive results and set yourself up for success. Your work is part of the DNA of vVv Gaming. There is not a day that goes by that I am not deeply thankful for your loyalty, commitment and efforts in making vVv Gaming better. Your potential as a leader in vVv Gaming is unlimited. What happens here in vVv Gaming matters. People are watching. Never forget, everything you do counts.
  • Medusa. I miss you. I miss talking to you. I see your work everywhere. Your signs idea, although it may have seemed simple, has changed the way we interact at events. You have made vVv Gaming better. I can't believe that no one had the idea to make signs. Even if someone had the idea, you took the step that counts. You made them. You brought them to events, you raised them high for the world to see. I'm very proud of your work. Every time I get a chance to hop into a staff meeting, I hear the voice of someone who deeply cares about the quality of people in vVv Gaming. Thank you.
  • Sugarbear. You remind me that vVv Gaming can have a positive influence on a wide variety of people. After the opportunity to come interview at Riot, your laser focus on vVv University is awesome. Much as I mentioned to Paradise, what you do with this really matters. There is a larger opportunity here than I think you know. You have quietly guided Starcraft 2, attended and contributed at events, and been a thoughtful, consistent, practical contributor to what we do. Every team needs a Sugarbear. vVv Gaming is so very fortunate to have one.
  • SC2 Aspire. What Babytoss has started here with the help of Sugarbear and others, is very important. What you are trying to do is very hard. This is about the journey. Please remember that. The habits and skills you learn will carry throughout life. It matters what happens here. I don't need to tell you that. What you put into it, you will take out of it and more. I'm watching. Sometimes, when you only have two or three people on stream, one of them could very well be me.

This is already too long. There never seems enough space or confidence in peoples' patience to write down everything. There are so many new faces in vVv Gaming. Website traffic is the highest it's been in the history of the organization. Under Jordan and Rob's leadership, vVv Gaming has continued to grow. I have tasked Jordan with grooming Rob to take over vVv Gaming at some point next year. I'm so excited at what Jordan has done with the organization, and realize that I should have been giving others a greater opportunity to lead. With Rob moving to LA, Jordan will personally be able to groom him. This also means there are many more staff opportunities for the greater community. I expect our current staff to grow in their responsibilities. We are grooming future leaders.

Think about that. A tiny group of gamers in 2007 has grown into a global eSports brand that develops players, contributors and leaders. Your efforts as both individuals and a collective community make the lives of others better. Who gets to say that?

There is something very special about vVv Gaming. I don't know what it is exactly. I know it has to do with the people. The people of vVv Gaming have created a very special culture. Being able to experience that culture instead of always having to shape and lead it has been so valuable. I look forward to growing old with all of you. I see myself gaming for the rest of my life. I imagine many of you do, as well. I hope that what we are building with vVv Gaming will not only serve all of us as we grow old and game together, but also serve as a special place for future generations of gamers. Some of your sons and daughters, nieces and nephews, may very well one day wear the three V's.

For many of us, we have gotten more out of vVv Gaming than we have contributed. This place is a force multiplier for success. Onward! Continue to do great things. Stay hungry. Stay humble. Never forget that the world is watching. You are all better collectively than you are individually. Take nothing here for granted. More importantly, this is yours. Own it. Most importantly, become stewards of it. Be stewards for future generations. There is "something special" here.

Amazing speech, really shows how strong vVv's community actually is and how much the managers care.

I agree. Very few other places do you see administration as dedicated as Jerry. And good stuff to all mentioned players. keep it up guys.

Well said Jerry :)

vVv is truly a god send to the eSports community. In my short time here, it has acted as that first stepping stone into the eSports world for me. This community is invaluable. There needs to be more like it. Most eSports teams are focused on being #1, while vVv focuses on players improving to the best of their ability. Thanks to this community, the gap between casual and pro gaming is shortened.

Props to all who make vVv possible

Well, since he didn't mention himself, I believe one other shoutout should come to LordJerith, who was at the birth of this community and I dare to say, that many of us wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him; we'd not have the drive to do what we do, as there wouldn't be a person who was always direct, bold and honest about everything, but also a helpful father figure/role model/mentor to many of us. That's Jerry's "something special" and without that, vVv wouldn't be the community it is today.

Other than that, well said, Jerry. As always.

Well, since he didn't mention himself, I believe one other shoutout should come to LordJerith, who was at the birth of this community and I dare to say, that many of us wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him; we'd not have the drive to do what we do, as there wouldn't be a person who was always direct, bold and honest about everything, but also a helpful father figure/role model/mentor to many of us. That's Jerry's "something special" and without that, vVv wouldn't be the community it is today.

Thank you. You guys are all great! Much vole to my Czech sister. I raise a glass to toast you. Na zdraví!

I remember the good old days when I was in vVv....

Oh man... I'm still pretty grateful when you invited me over for good old quality take out in Chicago.

Keep on rocking vVv. ^_^

<3 LJ this January it will be 5 years in vVv for me. Staff is great Rob has really impressed me as well.as all staff. Medusa you are vVv, Jason.love you my friend, Greg you are the man and.great at what you do. Its been.a blast, onward!!

• Friends. I'm just amazed at how many of you are actually friends.

I definitely want to highlight this. Over my past three and a half years in vVv, I can certainly say some of my best friends have been either vVv members or have come as a result of representing vVv at events. There are even gamers that are no longer in vVv that I still frequently see and hang out with at events. I realize my name has been fairly scarce around the forums over the past half a year or so, and it's likely that many of the newer members of the site have absolutely no idea who I am or what I do, but just know that some of the best times I've had and some of the best people I've met have been as a result of being a part of this organization.

vVv has done and will continue to do amazing things in the competitive gaming scene. Nothing will make me happier to continue to be a part of vVv and all it accomplishes in the future.

Came back from a lego exhibition, turned on my pc, checked Facebook and saw this, Every time I read a thread of yours Lordjerrith I feel inspired and want to make a change, it's somekind of energy booster! Thing is I always read them before getting to bed so when I wake up in the morning the energy level has lowered a bit :/ I'll have to read it again in the morning :D Still, it is lovely to see how much you care about,I'd say, your "second family" :)

Seriously love everybody I've met through vVv Gaming. I didn't even KNOW what vVv Gaming and esports were in October of 2010 until I was introduced to you guys. So proud to say I'm a vVv member still, and it's amazing how great of a community we really are. Looking forward to the future, as always!

You have all built something unfathomably critical to eSports and the individuals that make it what it is. An outlet for thousands of gamers to express an equally absurd amount of passion and talent in whatever area they so choose, a free form environment that has drawn and continues to draw the most diverse range of personalities and walks of life that I've ever seen, but more importantly, a home. I'm not at all proficient in discussing matters of the heart, but I can't let such a wonderful discussion slip silently to the back of my browser history. I'm so proud of all of you.

Here here!

I really enjoyed reading this. Coming from a former, very involved member on staff, I can relate to all of this first hand.

Hopefully I can get that enjoyment again, looking forward to the future!

I really enjoyed reading this. Coming from a former, very involved member on staff, I can relate to all of this first hand.

Well said ALAUNEY! ^_^

Brilliant stuff here indeed and thank you for the kind words, Jerry.

I keep asking myself if I am really that special to people nowadays, all I do is be myself and just to make everyone happy as much as I can. That goes to my Aspire teammates, fellow vVv members, my stream viewers, friends and family, and others that are helping the growth of E-Sports.

Each day I feel like I need to do something better than the last

Much <3 for all vVv, past and present. I have met so many great people because of this community and I have greatly enjoyed all the time I have spent here (whether it was writing articles on a weekly basis or simply checking up weekly to see what I have missed >.<). I am greatful for all the friends I have made and the hundreds of hours of entertainment gaming with some fantastic people.

Thank you all who have contributed to making this place something special in my life. :)

Took the words right out of my mouth. This was an enjoyable read. Brought back many good memories. Edited by Addiction

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Please enter your display name