Sign in to follow this  
BlameGame

Getting to masters?

Hello ladies and gents of vVv! Question for yall..

So last season I got promoted to diamond (im a zerg) and did a pretty good job! I got demoted this season because the last half of season 4 I decided I hated zerg then played terran. Held diamond somehow but blizzard hates me. I do play zerg again.

Anywhoo, I was wondering advice you guys have to getting into masters? It seems like a decent number of vVv players are in it (im basically diamond at this point btw because they are all I play) but some mistakes that i've noticed in my play are as follows;

lack of early scout

not knowing when to expand

and others, but I can't pick them out as well. Can somebody watch a few of my reps and let me know? Just inbox me if you can <3 because I feel like i could do masters but i just need to fix a few things. I generally time injects really well, my micro and apm are good, and my mechanics are generally ok as well as my timings but a few things are missing. Thanks guys!!

<3 BlameGame

From a Terran's point of view, it feels like the man difference between a Diamond player and a Masters player is the execution of their build order.

What do I mean by executing a build order? It's very easy to say "Well I'm gonna get X upgrade, then I'm going to attack." The first thing about executing a build order is doing it in the most efficient way possible. Are you frequently getting supply blocked, are you forgetting to make workers, is your tech/production facilities down at the proper time, are you gases immediately being saturated upon completion? All those little tiny macro things make the biggest difference in the long run.

The second part of executing a build order is the point at which it is no longer a build order. You get to a point in your game where there are to many variables for you to have everything planned out. This is when our build order evolves from a build order, to a strategy, and how you want the mid-late-game to play out.

For Zerg, this is a bit of an abstract idea, because most of what you do, is based off of what your opponent is doing. As a Zerg, you have to first understand what you're opponent is going to do in the mid-late-game before you yourself decide what to do in the mid-late-game.

Here's an example: You as a Zerg vs a Terran player, want to open 15 hatch, and take a very early third base. Your opponent opens reactor hellion banshee, and you take minimal losses. The terran begins to take a third of his own, and is transitioning to mech.

So, we have established our early game build order, we stopped what he was going to do, and now he's not doing it anymore, what do we do now? We transition into something else, and do something different while utilizing our new tech and economy. This is when strategy and play styles really come into play. In the example posed above, you could get really aggressive off of 3 base with Lair tech, you could take a very fast 4th, you could get an army and take a fourth, you could tech to hive as your take a fourth. There are some many different options that you can take, and for every build that you can imagine, there are different transitions that best fit for the way your want to play, and to counter the way your opponent is playing, no matter how they open. So play a few games, and go through this thought process. "My opponent wants to do this sort of early play, what can I do to best negate that play?" As time goes on, you'll find yourself understanding the game at a much higher level, and when you are fully accustomed to knowing how to win games with this thought process, Diamond level players will become very easy to beat. Just remember, no matter what style or strategy your decide to use (here's the most important thing of this whole post): Do it in the most efficient way that you can!

When you lose a game, go back watch your replay, and find out why you lost. I can say with almost 100% accuracy, the reason why a Diamond level player will lose to a Masters level player, is because they are not playing efficiently.

I really hope this helps you get to Masters :D.

Those issues you have some of the most important stuff you must know for top diamond and master. You have to, have to know timings in diamond. Because in Diamond+ players start figuring out how to do timings. As vVvTuff said just post your replays and im sure anyone would beable to help you.

Okay, the road to master is all on the individual. Once you hit top diamond/low master level, you will face a lot of cheese and all ins. Learn how to scout very well and learn to make good decisions. Get down your mechanics, and never be surprised by what your opponent is doing. Be one step ahead of them. Once you know timings, you can react properly and make your road to master.

Everything that people above had said are fantastic points and great things to focus on, but I think that there's a big out-of-game mindset piece when it comes to improving as well. My advice is that you try as much as you can not to focus on getting promoted, and just continuing on improving particular parts of your game. For myself, I was on the verge of getting promoted for a full season before it actually happened, and I think a lot of that came from the fact that I wasn't looking at the game properly. I was focusing too much on getting promoted via playing "better", as a broad term, and not enough on the little things that made my play weak. The result was that I was frustrated with my "lack" of progress, which made my performance worse, which made getting promoted take longer.

Day9 said it right when he stated that ladder leagues are measures of progress, not skill, and they should be treated as such. Focus as much as you can towards honing certain skills in game like scouting timings and knowing how many drones you can get away with in any particular game, and try not to worry about getting that little shiny star as fast as possible; just continue to practice and the promotion will come. ^^

From a Terran's point of view, it feels like the man difference between a Diamond player and a Masters player is the execution of their build order.

What do I mean by executing a build order? It's very easy to say "Well I'm gonna get X upgrade, then I'm going to attack." The first thing about executing a build order is doing it in the most efficient way possible. Are you frequently getting supply blocked, are you forgetting to make workers, is your tech/production facilities down at the proper time, are you gases immediately being saturated upon completion? All those little tiny macro things make the biggest difference in the long run.

The second part of executing a build order is the point at which it is no longer a build order. You get to a point in your game where there are to many variables for you to have everything planned out. This is when our build order evolves from a build order, to a strategy, and how you want the mid-late-game to play out.

For Zerg, this is a bit of an abstract idea, because most of what you do, is based off of what your opponent is doing. As a Zerg, you have to first understand what you're opponent is going to do in the mid-late-game before you yourself decide what to do in the mid-late-game.

Here's an example: You as a Zerg vs a Terran player, want to open 15 hatch, and take a very early third base. Your opponent opens reactor hellion banshee, and you take minimal losses. The terran begins to take a third of his own, and is transitioning to mech.

So, we have established our early game build order, we stopped what he was going to do, and now he's not doing it anymore, what do we do now? We transition into something else, and do something different while utilizing our new tech and economy. This is when strategy and play styles really come into play. In the example posed above, you could get really aggressive off of 3 base with Lair tech, you could take a very fast 4th, you could get an army and take a fourth, you could tech to hive as your take a fourth. There are some many different options that you can take, and for every build that you can imagine, there are different transitions that best fit for the way your want to play, and to counter the way your opponent is playing, no matter how they open. So play a few games, and go through this thought process. "My opponent wants to do this sort of early play, what can I do to best negate that play?" As time goes on, you'll find yourself understanding the game at a much higher level, and when you are fully accustomed to knowing how to win games with this thought process, Diamond level players will become very easy to beat. Just remember, no matter what style or strategy your decide to use (here's the most important thing of this whole post): Do it in the most efficient way that you can!

When you lose a game, go back watch your replay, and find out why you lost. I can say with almost 100% accuracy, the reason why a Diamond level player will lose to a Masters level player, is because they are not playing efficiently.

I really hope this helps you get to Masters :D.

I love you.

And thank you all.. ima watch my reps and post a few here within a few days!

I went from Silver to GM, I would say Diamond > Master is the most difficult leap in all the promotions. Here're some tips to help:

- A good gauge for expansion timings for Zerg is by using our larva as the indicator. In macro games, when we have spend all of our larva and have enough minerals for a expansion, it's generally a good time to expand.

- Spend your larva. Make something, anything. Don't keep idle larva.

- If you're floating minerals. Anytime you have 500+mins and aren't making anything, drop a hatch. Expo or macro hatch both are good choices.

- imo always choose a safer build/decision over a greedy one. Once you master safety, you can slowly chip away and be clear on how greedy you can be, and what you can get away with.

Example: I did 1 build for all matchups until I hit Master. 14g14p21h. Many would argue that 15h is the better opener, but I had no idea how to build on the economic advantage. I was losing games with 500-1000+ minerals banked. The economy gained wasn't worth me losing the game.

- Keep playing! It's ok to rage and be frustrated, but do remember more gg more skill. The more games you play, the more you understand the subtle timings and patterns of each race. Every game is a gain, there are no pointless games, not even against cheese!

GLHF GLHF~