Sign in to follow this  
TheDukeStarcraft

The Duke's Application -- Casting

• Name: Jeremy Tarshis
  • Age (minimum 16): 23
  • What is your in game name (ie vVvRoar.873): SnowDuke.591
  • How did you hear about vVv Gaming? Were you referred to the site? If so, by whom? Twitter, a tweet mentioned this being a great site for casters to improve and grow in the eSports community
  • Who do you know currently in vVv Gaming? How do you know them? I actually didn't know anyone. I came here by myself but have since made many contacts and new friends
  • Why are you interested in joining vVv Gaming?I feel that our missions are one in the same, to grow eSports and to grow along with it. I see vVv as being a great place for me to better contribute to the eSports community and as a place where I can grow and develop as a caster and future eSports personality
  • Adding value is the most important aspect of being in vVv Gaming. From the following list, you must choose one method of adding value. We will evaluate your application based on how you tell us you're going to add value. Caster

• You must have and be able to use Mumble to join vVv Gaming. Are you able to log on and use mumble? (If you don't have Mumble, click here to get information on how to get and install it, and feel free to ask anyone on mumble if you need help configuring it). I have joined and have no problems using Mumble
  • What games coming out are you looking forward to play and why? Assassins Creed III is of particular interest because I like the historical fiction and the story involved in the AC series. Also looking forward to SC: Heart of the Swarm and The Last of Us
  • What are your hobbies and interests outside of gaming? I am a music education major in school right now so music is pretty big to me. I also really enjoy television and movies, and am a frequent blogger
  • What race or races do you play? Zerg is my main, but have spent many seasons playing Random
  • What current division are you in and how many points do you have? Platinum, >100, not playing that much this season due to school. Last season had about 700 or so
  • What kind of competitive tournament experience do you have? I run a weekly fight night exhibition style tournament that I cast and stream. I have played in local tournaments in my community but nothing of a real competitive level
  • Have you attended any national events (MLG, WCG, IPL)? MLG
  • What was your best competitive moment? What was your worst? When I beat one of my local community rivals, whom I casted with every week for a couple months. Most of the improvement in my play came from trying to beat him. My worst was when he beat 4 games in a row, which was when I switched from Random to Zerg to focus on one race.
  • What do you hope to achieve, competitively? Competitively I seek to become a higher level player to gain a better understanding of the game which will in turn improve my casting. I don't see myself as being a professional player but a professional caster is my real goal.
  • You are expected to add 3 Vs to your battle.net ID in front of your alias if accepted (ie vVvRoar) I agree to and would be honored to receive my vVv title
  • Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dukemumford
  • YouTube: www.youtube.com/thedukestarcraft

Hey there Duke! Not sure if you saw Razor's article on casting, but if you're looking for advice it's definitely worth checking out. He's also on mumble a lot so you should hop onto our mumble server and track him down to talk shop :)

You can find all the info needed to get on mumble at http://www.vvv-gaming.com/mumble

I'll have to do a more thorough review later, but for now I just wanted to give you the most important information.

HEY DUKE! razor is constantly talking with me throughout every day and giving me advice if i think of anything to ask if you ever want in or ever want to just listen to a cast do a cast anything you want let me know :) (only if you cant get ahold of him tho.)

Edited by fluffy

Yay Jeremy!

GL with your application.

Keep working hard and I know you'll become very successful. I've seen your drive thus far and I must say you're doing a really great job. Keep it up!

^____^

Hey Duke! I've been around watching your casts. You have good game knowledge, but need to work on your camera control and double check your audio settings, your mic is a bit loud on the stream.

I got two questions for you.

1) Do you have any model caster you want to aspire to be like?

2) Do you re-watch your own broadcasts?

My casting article can be found here: http://www.vvv-gaming.com/forum/blog/295/entry-5636-esports-casting-an-underrated-art/

Also, you can check the latest cast I did with fluffy here, and hopefully give some inputs: http://www.vvv-gaming.com/forum/topic/58620-casting-vods-tips-please/

Good luck with your casting, I'm available if you need to ask me anything! ^_^

Hey Razor,

I've noticed with Skype that for whatever reason, it jacks up my audio output for no reason at all. So I'm constantly lowering it in and out of the stream, but even then I think there is still more room for the improvement. I actually really like Husky's style of casting. It's very casual and funny and I think that fits my personality a lot more than other casters do. I also really like Apollo's casting as well, but I think it has something to do with his accent haha.

I used to rewatch my broadcasts after every stream but I've stopped doing that in recent months. I will start doing that again as well.

Hey Razor,

I've noticed with Skype that for whatever reason, it jacks up my audio output for no reason at all. So I'm constantly lowering it in and out of the stream, but even then I think there is still more room for the improvement. I actually really like Husky's style of casting. It's very casual and funny and I think that fits my personality a lot more than other casters do. I also really like Apollo's casting as well, but I think it has something to do with his accent haha.

I used to rewatch my broadcasts after every stream but I've stopped doing that in recent months. I will start doing that again as well.

Eventually you'll have to develop your own style, but it's still really good to have a role model. I strongly recommend that you watch your casts, even if you just skim most parts, it's like when every pro player watches his own replays..

Have you tried to use Mumble, Teamspeak, Raidcall or another voice software? It could help out with your audio issue.

Try to contact me and let me know when your next casting is, so I can watch it live and hopefully give you some solutions! ^^

Definitely Razor, I'll keep all of this in mind. I don't believe that I have any casts this week, but if I do I will hit you up. I normally have a weekly Monday Night cast but I have to take tonight off. I'm considering Raidcall as an alternative and I will start exploring that more in the next couple of days.

To fix your sound releveling issue, go here:

http://www.sevenforu...ng-disable.html

Tried that already too, couple months ago actually. I've been involved in several casts where somebody's volume would spike like mine because of Skype, so I think it's just time I switch to something else. Thanks though Sugarbear, I do appreciate the help!

Hey Duke,

Great job on being active around the forums! How has your experience been so far as a vVv applicant? Anything that has stood out, either good or bad so far? Also, have you gotten to know many people on mumble yet?

Hey Sugarbear,

I think vVv has been a really great experience so far. People are extremely friendly and very helpful, Razor in particular, and I'm really enjoying this place. I haven't had a chance to jump on Mumble a whole lot because I don't have nearly as much time during the week to play. Most of my time in game is spent casting or analyzing replays for my friends who need help against a certain opponent or what not. But I will make more of an effort to try and jump on more and get to know some people. I would also love to have some vVv members play in my weekly fight night, and come guest cast some time as well!

Good casting man, sounds great. You'd be a great addition!

Thanks! I hope I can contribute more to this great community and provide nothing but excellent casting.

Razor, and Sugarbear, I will be casting a VOD soon featuring vVv.Hasuu and one of my good friends. Just posting this to keep the thread alive.

And alive it shall be, I'm looking forward to watching that. Is there any date or something similar? I want to make sure my schedule is clear so I can watch it ^^

And alive it shall be, I'm looking forward to watching that. Is there any date or something similar? I want to make sure my schedule is clear so I can watch it ^^

It will be on my YouTube so you can check it out anytime :)

Also, just upgraded to Windows 8 and xSplit is not having it, so it may be awhile, or may try something else in the meantime