vVv LordJerith

My past 5 years . . .

This is hard to write. Not because I am sad. I am very excited to see vVv Gaming grow under the leadership of vVv Doomhammer and our great staff! No, this is hard to write because I am ANGRY. I am angry about all the things I still want to do! But mostly, I am angry because I have failed to tell the vVv Gaming story in a long time. A lot of people in recent interviews ask me, “How did vVv Gaming start?” Well, I’m gonna tell you (yea, right, like you can sum up 5 years in a forum post, lol).

The vVv story is one about people. From day one, we wanted only two things from the people who joined vVv Gaming: they added value and they wanted to be here. It was also about being unique and different. It was about being innovative and always looking to the future.

We started in 2007 with one Gears of War team. We won the first MLG event for Gears of War. This fact, most everyone knows.

gallery_6_14_4989.jpg

That picture was from the second GoW event, MLG Dallas 2007. Yea, we took the second there, not too bad. What most people don’t know is that we were not only the team to win the most money in 2007 for Gears of War, but we would do the same thing in Europe, with our team vVv Focus. After our first year, we were international. By the time we were done with the Gears of War series, 18 of the top 32 MLG players got their start in vVv Gaming. Our talent factory was born.

Then the advice started coming. “vVv Gaming will be nothing if you don't support CounterStrike1.6, World of Warcraft, or Warcraft 3.” To this, I simply stuck out my middle finger and said, “Watch us!”

gallery_5702_228_510200.jpg

In 2008, we started on the PC with Warhammer Online and Left4Dead. We had the second best L4D team, and we had a top guild in Warhammer Online. We would go on to have "Top 5" guilds in Aion, Rift and SWTOR as measured by server and world firsts. We also went on to do something else and that was to formalize one of the most unique mission statements in not only eSports, but all of competitive gaming.

"In everything we do, we believe that all gamers with a passion for competition need an engaging outlet to share and express their passions. Competitive gamers thrive in a diverse environment that is social, empowering, supportive and informative, and all gamers, regardless of skill, have a place in competitive gaming. Competitive gaming should entertain, be educational and make you feel a sense of domination, whether you’re the top player or simply a fan. The way we do this is called vVv Gaming, and we just happen to be the best competitive gaming community in the world. Wanna join?"-vVv LordJerith

Everything we do is to fulfill this mission statement. The more we worked toward this, the more we found our soul. Eventually, we knew that we needed to define “what is vVv Gaming?” We knew that since we did not buy top players, we were not a “talent agency” like most other teams. We had put our community first. We finally defined what is vVv Gaming:

“vVv Gaming is a competitive video game organization with a dynamic and vibrant community. Top players and upcoming talent from numerous video games flock to vVv to have an experience best summed up by our motto: Entertain.Educate.Dominate.

With entertaining podcasts, educational articles about teamwork, competition and strategy and dominating finishes at major tournaments around the world, we deliver unparalleled value to anyone interested in competitive video gaming.”

Today, as most of you know, we are the most accomplished console organization in the world with Top 4 LAN finishes on 4 continents. We've also had two Starcraft players, Glon and Toxsik go from low-level to GM. By attracting some great people in the SC2 community, we have been able to open up a real training project, called Aspire, to help more people achieve this feat. Again, most of you know this.

I want to share some facts with you that I think you might not know in order to better help you understand how truly fucking awesome we are:

• We put our partners first! We did all this never taking a single dollar from any sponsor (just products).
  • We never lured players with money or bought talent. We spent less than any other organization.
  • We have a true, value-driven organization. We created culture where "adding value" was in the DNA of the organization.
  • We have always focused on growth. We have had steady website growth for 5 years straight
  • We have always been on the forefront of using social media. Our social media presence has grown over 250% in 1 year (just this last year!).
  • We go beyond traditional eSports and contribute to the broader gaming culture. We are the longest contributing writer to the Chicago Tribune Geek to Me blog.
  • We have faced tough challenges and bounced back stronger and smarter. We have survived being hacked, me being hacked and our YouTube being hacked.
  • We are eSports! We have had someone at over 37 major eSports events on 5 continents!
  • We have always been focused on excellence! We have Top 4 LAN placements on 4 continents.
  • We always keep our promises! We have always kept our promises to our players and fans.
  • Our guilds have been widely successful. We have had Top 5 guild based on server and world firsts in every MMO we played.
  • We have always been transparent and kept our community informed even through large growth spurts. We have produced consistent news and content for 3 years running.
  • We’re consistent. Our podcast show, The Losers Bracket, is in its 3rd year.
  • We’re very selective. We have accepted only 12% of people who applied. A testimony to our high standards.
  • We’re humble. Members know that they are no better gamers the day after they are accepted into vVv Gaming, than they were the day before they were accepted.
  • Our community is not only committed, but generous. We have exceeded every fundraising goal we have ever set.

So, back to why I am mad. Every time someone says something negative about vVv Gaming, I think. . . really?! What the fuck MORE could we do? Buy a few Korean Starcraft players? Buy a “traning house” and stick everyone in it? Sorry, that’s not vVv Gaming.

gallery_0_935_73390.jpg

I’m so damn proud of what we have done, the speed at which we do it, and how well we serve our community, I just shake my head. So, to all the haters: Seriously?!! What the fuck have you ever done in eSports? Seriously kidddddddd. . . you can’t even hold a fucking team together for 5 weeks, let alone build a global community that is still running strong after 5 years. You're Uncle Fucking Woody. We've denied more people than have applied to your shitty clan/team/organization. Fuck, we have REaccepted more people. So, fuck off.

With that being said, I know that Jordan Kahn will have a huge role to fill, but he, much like me, will not do it alone. He has a great staff, an awesome community, and a great history in which to do great things. If you are not proud of who and what it is to be a member of vVv Gaming. . . I’m just not sure what else we could be doing aside from buying talent, and we will NEVER do that. We are a talent factory. People come here to be great, and do great things. Stories start here!

Know that we will do amazing things with League of Legends and Guild Wars 2, as well as continue to develop Starcraft players. We will still create great content. We will always look to the future. We will always be hungry for top people who are committed and passionate about vVv Gaming. We are like no other organization in eSports, and we like it that way. Personally, after 5 years, I think we fucking rock!

I love you vVv Gaming. I hate turning it over. It’s hard to do. I know, "people survived Auschwitz." I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t think it was good for everyone. We have some great people who are ready to lead, and it is time for me to give them that chance. Please give them the love you have given me. I can’t wait to see where Jordan and the team take vVv Gaming in the next 5 years. You have all made me a better person, and I think we all know that I would not have this huge opportunity at Riot Games if it were not for vVv Gaming. I really do leave my role a better person than I was when I started it, and that is because of all of you.

I still will own vVv Gaming. I will be on the leadership council of our Guild Wars 2 Guild and playing the game. I will still be in vVv Gaming. I will always ask for nudes when you ask me for favors. vVv for Life!

Guest vVv Ambush

all i gotta say is i hope dragon reads this :P but amazing lj i am happy that i got to meet you at Anaheim and i am happy about the time that you have been here and i am soo dam curious to see what vVv gaming will have in for us for the future with doom! i know with your guidance we will be able to become the best that we as a community can become!

all i gotta say is i hope dragon reads this :P but amazing lj i am happy that i got to meet you at Anaheim and i am happy about the time that you have been here and i am soo dam curious to see what vVv gaming will have in for us for the future with doom! i know with your guidance we will be able to become the best that we as a community can become!

Count on it! This is the beginning of a great new chapter with young, hungry leadership with a lot to prove.

You've been a great leader to us, since I've known you and had the opportunity to be in vVv. I am glad I got to work with you and I certainly do hope to keep going, to make you, vVv and even myself proud. Don't be a stranger :)

You've been a great leader to us, since I've known you and had the opportunity to be in vVv. I am glad I got to work with you and I certainly do hope to keep going, to make you, vVv and even myself proud. Don't be a stranger :)

It's people like you who will help Jordan make vVv Gaming even better. You already make me proud. <3

Well said. I've only been here for over a month and it's really changed the way I think about things and gaming in general. I am proud to be a part of it.

I've been here for just over a month and I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to still get interviewed by you Jerry! I'm honored to be a part of this community and even more so after reading exactly what a 5 year history has accomplished. Best of luck to you and your exciting new adventures.

Respect and thanks,

Anna

Jerry, I have't been in vVv for that long, but during this time I have grown to respect you as a smart and committed leader. I have also grown to love this community, except for JayC, but he is easily overlooked by the rest of the amazing people here (jk JayC <3). I completely agree that we have an amazing staff running vVv and there is no doubt that they will keep things in shape without you as our leader. Since you will still be around, I don't really see this as a bad thing, maybe you will have more time to actually play LoL with us? Anyway, I am really excited to see where vVv will be in a couple of years with these changes. Also, if vVv staff needs help with anything else, besides the usual graphics, I am more than willing to help out.

Jerry, Since meeting you and Jordan in rift, I've learned a lot, seen a lot, and done a lot. I can honestly say you, vVv gaming in it's entirety, and the people within it in the short time I was actively playing within it changed the way I viewed gaming and the communities that make it what it is. Thank you for all that you have done, and all that you will continue to do, You couldn't leave anything in better hands than Jordan's who has had such a great example so close to learn from and be supported by. Much respect, and thank you Sir for all that you have put into this great community, and just being who you are. Best wishes on your future endeavors, I hope they are just as fruitful.

Jerry, Since meeting you and Jordan in rift, I've learned a lot, seen a lot, and done a lot. I can honestly say you, vVv gaming in it's entirety, and the people within it in the short time I was actively playing within it changed the way I viewed gaming and the communities that make it what it is. Thank you for all that you have done, and all that you will continue to do, You couldn't leave anything in better hands than Jordan's who has had such a great example so close to learn from and be supported by. Much respect, and thank you Sir for all that you have put into this great community, and just being who you are. Best wishes on your future endeavors, I hope they are just as fruitful.

You, madam, are pure class. Thank you for these kind words.

Jerry, I have't been in vVv for that long, but during this time I have grown to respect you as a smart and committed leader. I have also grown to love this community, except for JayC, but he is easily overlooked by the rest of the amazing people here (jk JayC <3). I completely agree that we have an amazing staff running vVv and there is no doubt that they will keep things in shape without you as our leader. Since you will still be around, I don't really see this as a bad thing, maybe you will have more time to actually play LoL with us? Anyway, I am really excited to see where vVv will be in a couple of years with these changes. Also, if vVv staff needs help with anything else, besides the usual graphics, I am more than willing to help out.

With people like you in vVv gaming, you will help make Jordan and vVv successful. We are glad to have you!

I've been here for just over a month and I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to still get interviewed by you Jerry! I'm honored to be a part of this community and even more so after reading exactly what a 5 year history has accomplished. Best of luck to you and your exciting new adventures.

Respect and thanks,

Anna

I look forward to playing GW2 with you, and you bringing your experience and wisdom to our community. We're honored to have you with us.

This guy right here has taught me more than most people have in my life and shown me a multitude of things both concerning competitive gaming and life lessons itself. Good luck with this next chapter of your life and enjoy yourself. You've done great things here and will continue to do great things.

It has and will continue to be a pleasure,

Devon

Really a heartfelt post. Jerry you have done so much for vVv Gaming and sometimes I felt people never understood or took a second to acknowledge it. I'm glad to hear that even though other things in life are coming up, vVv will still always have you.

On a personal note, our endless conversations, scoldings, and bullshitting are priceless. It was a lot of fun to work with you and the rest of staff for that matter in the effort to advance vVv Gaming. Although I was still pretty young I learned a lot and the real life applications have proven fruitful. I appreciate all the time you dedicated to me in learning my position and trying to better me. And even though vVv and I are no longer correlated, I'll always love this place.

Best of luck in the future, hope to hear big things happen.

- Mike.

Edited by Doctor

Obviously the organization, culture, and environment is much different now, but you better fucking bet that never in the world will I forget the first ever vVv Gaming Family pizza dinner at Meadowlands 2007, that's definitely a memory I'll hold on to forever.

Regardless of the up's and down's as it relates to vVv Gaming's relationship with the GoW community, no one can argue that vVv didn't create a ridiculous amount of memories for hundreds of kids around the country, whether it be online or at events. So many good times and good memories, thanks for everything you created for not only myself but hundreds of others.

PS- For some reason I was trying so hard to think of the names of the oldest vVv members from back in the GoW1 days when we had like six vVv GoW teams, and couldn't remember any. Someone help?

Obviously the organization, culture, and environment is much different now, but you better fucking bet that never in the world will I forget the first ever vVv Gaming Family pizza dinner at Meadowlands 2007, that's definitely a memory I'll hold on to forever.

Regardless of the up's and down's as it relates to vVv Gaming's relationship with the GoW community, no one can argue that vVv didn't create a ridiculous amount of memories for hundreds of kids around the country, whether it be online or at events. So many good times and good memories, thanks for everything you created for not only myself but hundreds of others.

PS- For some reason I was trying so hard to think of the names of the oldest vVv members from back in the GoW1 days when we had like six vVv GoW teams, and couldn't remember any. Someone help?

Bigking, Illusive, Convict, Havok

In the last two and a half years, vVv Gaming has done nothing but encourage me to do more with my time. I went from being just a gamer, to a writer, to contributing over 70 articles to a major newspaper blog. I have found something to be pashionate about, and enjoyed doing it for the entire time. vVv Gaming went from being a way to escape reality, to something I cared deeply about and a part of my every day life. I have made many friends and acquaintances because of vVv, and in part is due a lot to jerry and his leadership. Jerry has been a huge influence on my life, encouraging me to do more while allowing me the freedom to expand in the way i saw fit. While the many personal conversations have died over time, I have always enjoyed when we did get to talk, or even just listen in on the conversation at hand.

I am happy for Jerry and his position at riot, and while it is a bit depressing that we may not get many more jerry rants, I know that he has done everything he can to set up doomhammer for sucess. And on that subject, I must give credit to doomhammer as well, he has been the primary editor of my articles over the past two years, and I am thankful for everything he has already done for vVv Gaming.

It is hard to really put all my emotions into a simple post, but to summerize it simply: vVv Blazek is and will always be a part of who I am, and it is all thanks to the community, the staff, and Jerry himself. While this may be the end of a chapter at vVv Gaming, it is merely the beginning of the Saga.

I love you Jerry! I've been here the whole 5 years, its amazing to see what all has happend. You've made me a better man, for that I thank you. Keep in touch! Jordan you are the man and a close friend, I remember when we brought you in as PC manager. You are the example of hard work and dedication. I have a new office job, 40 hours a week. I've been off staff for almost a year. I'd love to come back with a vengeance and help you. Hopefully ill be given the opportunity

I love vVv Gaming and all of you!

Edited by vVv Exodus

Jeez, can't believe it's been three years since young Brock was shaking in his boots during his interview with our very own LordJerith. So much has happened since that point that it's weird to think about my daily life before I joined way back then. We've had top teams come and go, players win major LANs and the same players dropped shortly after, and some of the most fun I've had over the past few years. It's sad to see Jerry stepping down, but knowing Doom my entire time here, I'm not at all worried about the future. If anything, I think things will be bigger than ever with some of the things coming up, so I can't wait to see what the future holds!

In the last two and a half years, vVv Gaming has done nothing but encourage me to do more with my time. I went from being just a gamer, to a writer, to contributing over 70 articles to a major newspaper blog. I have found something to be pashionate about, and enjoyed doing it for the entire time. vVv Gaming went from being a way to escape reality, to something I cared deeply about and a part of my every day life. I have made many friends and acquaintances because of vVv, and in part is due a lot to jerry and his leadership. Jerry has been a huge influence on my life, encouraging me to do more while allowing me the freedom to expand in the way i saw fit. While the many personal conversations have died over time, I have always enjoyed when we did get to talk, or even just listen in on the conversation at hand.

I am happy for Jerry and his position at riot, and while it is a bit depressing that we may not get many more jerry rants, I know that he has done everything he can to set up doomhammer for sucess. And on that subject, I must give credit to doomhammer as well, he has been the primary editor of my articles over the past two years, and I am thankful for everything he has already done for vVv Gaming.

It is hard to really put all my emotions into a simple post, but to summerize it simply: vVv Blazek is and will always be a part of who I am, and it is all thanks to the community, the staff, and Jerry himself. While this may be the end of a chapter at vVv Gaming, it is merely the beginning of the Saga.

I really teared up reading this, not sure why. . . Jordan and you will work very well together. Much love Sean.

I love you Jerry! I've been here the whole 5 years, its amazing to see what all has happend. You've made me a better man, for that I thank you. Keep in touch! Jordan you are the man and a close friend, I remember when we brought you in as PC manager. You are the example of hard work and dedication. I have a new office job, 40 hours a week. I've been off staff for almost a year. I'd love to come back with a vengeance and help you. Hopefully ill be given the opportunity

I love vVv Gaming and all of you!

There are too many chainsaws and "you randoms!" in my stories. My favorite

Exodus: Nero, is there a wall near you?

Nero: Nope

Exodus: well go run into it anyway.

Jordan will need good help.

Jeez, can't believe it's been three years since young Brock was shaking in his boots during his interview with our very own LordJerith. So much has happened since that point that it's weird to think about my daily life before I joined way back then. We've had top teams come and go, players win major LANs and the same players dropped shortly after, and some of the most fun I've had over the past few years. It's sad to see Jerry stepping down, but knowing Doom my entire time here, I'm not at all worried about the future. If anything, I think things will be bigger than ever with some of the things coming up, so I can't wait to see what the future holds!

With great staff like you, the man who can do any boring task, Jordan will need your support. HUGS! And stop drinking cheap beer, seriously!

There's far too much to say. I can't imagine games without vVv, or vVv without you, Jerry.

I still can't believe our first "serious" conversation in person involved the famous MYEH noise. I still rofl occasionally about it.

My favorite Jerry quote is easily "Get the FUCK over here, get the FUCK out of the crowd, tell them to FUCK THEMSELVES, and take your god damn top 16, you idiot!"

<3

What Jerry has taught me even in the short time it seems like in vVv is how to take lead of not only being a true gamer but a better person. Everything from what i learned in the time i was in staff to apply to my personal life to being a community member helping newbies out and getting to know everyone has been an amazing experience with jerry being around not only to push me but everyone in vVv and im thankful. Jerry thank you for the guidance vVv has much needed throughout the years to make it to where it is today. Everyone should feel confident that the legacy you built will continue to flourish and be maintained through all of the amazing members we have here today. You are like a father figure that we will all make proud thank you Jerry.

There's far too much to say. I can't imagine games without vVv, or vVv without you, Jerry.

I still can't believe our first "serious" conversation in person involved the famous MYEH noise. I still rofl occasionally about it.

My favorite Jerry quote is easily "Get the FUCK over here, get the FUCK out of the crowd, tell them to FUCK THEMSELVES, and take your god damn top 16, you idiot!"

<3

HA! Doom still makes that noise! Yes, take your win, and sit down!

Wow, i was really touched by this not jus to learn about the vVv gaming and who they are, but also learn about Lord Jerith and all that he has done for vVv and what he continues to do. I know i wanna join this team to help accomplish taht goal, so while other can OWN other games, i wanna be proud holding up the vVv banner in SC2 saying FUCK you to all the other teams that buy, recruit in shady ways. That way I can saw we rock, and that we OWN starcraft 2 not just player wise, but also as a TEAM. I want to thank you Lord Jerith, although im not part of vVv i am glad you started this great organization, and hope that everything goes well for you. I hope one day i can make YOU proud sir.

Andrew S Brown

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Please enter your display name