Rinzler

Thoughts on ways to practice for Guild Wars 2 PvP?

Which of the following games will you be playing to improve your Guild Wars 2 skill?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following games will you be playing to improve your Guild Wars 2 skill?

• League of Legends
    • Bloodline Champions
    • World of Warcraft
    • All of the above
    • Both 1 and 2
    • Both 2 and 3
    • Both 1 and 3
    • Other (If so, say what game in the thread below.)

So, someone recently asked me what would be a good way to prepare for GW2 structured PvP, and in so many words this is what I told them:

LoL has a completely different feel due to not utilizing WASD to move, Bloodline Champions is similar but i can't really measure how much faster my reaction time gets per session, and transitively how that translates to GW2. WoW arena is very similar in feel, but the problem is its an Arena, whereas GW2 is a completely different playstyle. I feel like diving into WoW arena again would translate to me feeling like I would have to treat GW2 like arena, when in all reality I'm running from people for half of the game. Whatever game you choose to play should ultimately result in a complete lack of bad habit forming activities, and work towards a universal purpose, like reaction time.

If i were forced to pick one, I would pick blc because it doesnt form bad habits, and I'm developing a universal skill. If i had to give an answer that I felt was correct, I would say a balance of all 3 games is required. The passive-aggressive laning attitude you have to carry when you play league, the reaction time and execution of BLC, and the real MMO pvp style of WoW.

For this reason I'll be mixing all 3 of the previously mentioned in order to prepare for Guild Wars 2 PvP. Please give me your thoughts and what you will be doing to prepare for release, and I hope to hear from all of you.

I believe of the choices, WoW Rated BGs would probably be the closest thing to give you a similar feel (or just random BGs if you cant get a full team i guess) Although the games are fairly different anyway, so there is still much to be learned with GW2. But it does give you the objective based combat and requires teamwork with a balance of classes and builds.

BLC would probably be my second choice on the list as it does pretty much the same thing, you just change the camera angle. The only downside to it is that BLC is much more like WoW Arena, so the focus is killing off the other team and no respawns, not objective based gameplay. But it would exercise your mind in the right way.

..... or we could all just go back and play DAoC

Edited by vVv Blazek

Please be sure that you played them all before commenting. Very important. This advice matters.

People should be playing Smite, WASD controls, same camera angle, and 1234 for skills.

Interesting. Have you played all the choices above?

LARPING >.>

srsly though, I would think that WoW is the closest one.

LARPing naked FTW

Have you played all the games listed?

Yes I have played everything listed, BLC and LoL are way to different imo, and WoW doesn't have the same feel as GW2, plus not everyone has access to WoW.

So I say Smite, go find yourself a beta key, or pay $20 and play it, it's pretty fun, and has a pretty close resemblance to GW2 in a MOBA setting.

Yes I have played everything listed, BLC and LoL are way to different imo, and WoW doesn't have the same feel as GW2, plus not everyone has access to WoW.

So I say Smite, go find yourself a beta key, or pay $20 and play it, it's pretty fun, and has a pretty close resemblance to GW2 in a MOBA setting.

We have to remember that mindset is probably more important than actual focus on mechanics because of the lack of APM based functionality in GW2. I wouldn't shut a game out because

they're "different".

If you're looking to play something for mechanics based practice, play WoW. I was saying LoL and BLC "feel" way to different, and Smite "feels" pretty close to GW2

I'm not sure how smite is going to exist in a world dominated by league and Dota 2, but I would like to see what happens with it. Would definitely be something to try for the sake of saying you did.

Playing blc right now

I really don't feel that there is any game that can prep you for gw2 it is just do different and complex, and one of the biggest challenges in gw2 is figuring out comps, strats, and builds

Yea, GW1 is nothing like GW2. Also, it's plagued by pvp-bots and that ruins half the games I've played in. I got the Luxon Supporter title/statue from PvP and then I washed my hands of it.

Are there any novice LoL players out there? I'm like level 9 or 10 on LoL, but I would really like to learn MOBA games better. I've always been either a CoD, Halo, or WoW player. MOBA is different than what I'm used to.

Edited by CRUXIAL

Blood Line Champions or SMITE are probably the best ways to practice. You must have a high level of twitch play and quick decision making as well as a need for coordinated ganks/focuses.

I mainly played SMITE to brush up for GW2 PVP

None of the above.

The basic mechanics and controls of GW2 are very straight forward and the controls can be adjusted to feel comfortable for whoever is playing it. The only "practice" you should need is communication, which can be quickly learned by playing any team-oriented video game.

As far as actually preparing for sPvP, the best way to practice is not by playing another, completely different video game, but by learning everything you can about this video game. During the beta weekend, we all spent time learning our classes inside and out. Now that you have a month of downtime, you should learn all of the other classes inside and out.

If you played a thief, you still need to know what all the other classes can do with what weapons, and most importantly what various attack animations look like, and what buff icons look like. You should know what it means when you are targeting a warrior and you see a fury buff go up, or you are fighting an elementalist and he attunes to earth.

The people who are successful in sPvP are not the ones that just "know their class", that is just the start, as anyone can copy a professional player's build and learn to play it quickly. You need to know every class and what they are capable of. I suggest taking the next month to watch videos of all classes playing, as well as watching competitive teams and how they communicate. The only thing you can benefit from playing another game is practice communicating with teammates and possibly getting to know the people you will be playing with.

I haven't played BC in ages but I'm so down to get into that for a bit again. And to tell you the truth if you compare League with GW2 pvp, you'll find a lot of similarities. Despite how bad some champions are in-game on league (ie. Tryndamere) its actually sickgud practice if you're planning to play a warrior. Darius and a few others aren't bad either. I have SMITE as well, but its on a new level of imbalanced (I'll give the benefit of the doubt since its a beta). Its got reasonably similar mechanics but when you pubstomp people with op heroes on SMITE, once you get on GW2 it'll be a backtrack. Nevertheless, I'm able and willing! Send me a message on mumble to 'Slashirot' and I'll come join in if I don't notice beforehand.

Edited by Slashiroth

I agree with a lot of these post. I play all those game and Smite has a similar, not the same, feel to GW2. I play solo que LoL to learn more patience =P because its such a frustrating game. Bloodline Champs is a good game if you do scenarios and not the 3v3, but I don't play it much due the the fact that there are not a lot of people playing it. The que times are horrificly long.

If anyone wants to play these games with me or if I can join you let me know please.

Well, i felt like playing GW1 to practice, because of all the achievments and stuff...

But its such a different game and all.

I really have no idea or purpose on any other game before GW2 comes out...

I've never played Lol (shame on me right?) but if it is anything like Dota and HoN. The frustating part is not playing with friends and focuses people.

This weekend i played a lot of Dota 2 and it felt frustating beacause no one playes TOGETHER. there are 5 guys playing in your team, and they all wanna play their own game.

This is another reason for me wanting to joing up with vVv. Jesus!

WoW would be the closest in terms of mechanics,

but all of them would be great for communication, if a team can't synergize correctly and work together not only on the battlefield but off-field too when it comes to Build Discussions and tactics then they will not get far on RAW power skills alone.

All the games above are great for learning counters and team composition.

I think a very nice game to practice on might be HiRez Studios' "SMITE". i has wasd movement and also the 3rd person PoV also uses the number buttons for skills :) only thing it's missing is the dodge button that GW2 has :) compared to LoL and the other games listed i think this is a slightly better choice (except wow maybe depends on the person's preferences).