Sign in to follow this  
Blazek

Blazek's Diablo 3 Lore Debate

So late Sunday night I was up with some of my buddies drinking and discussing Diablo 3 lore. We got into a pretty big debate over what will happen, the meaning behind the “Wrath” animation, in depth thoughts on the Black Soulstone video, and just general BS’n. Over the course of 6 hours we came to some conclusions of likely things that happened between Diablo 2 and 3, along with what some things depicted within the trailers mean.

So i figured I would go ahead and share the meat of that debate with all of you :) At the very least to give you something to do waiting out the remaining 8 hours, and as a record for how my deductive skills are (or possibly arn't :( )

While a lot of this is pretty heavily deduced logic mixed with theory crafting, it may contain some pretty serious spoilers. Be warned, if you wish to experience the story for yourself and not have anything ruined then DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER. However if you like to theory craft and want to hear / discuss some points of what I believe is going to happen feel free to read on. If you are going to make a reply PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS.

The Meaning of Wrath:

It is pretty clear that the conflict depicted in the animation “Wrath” takes place prior to Diablo 1, what time exactly I am unsure but I believe it is during the height of the Great Conflict.

Information about the Great Conflict: http://diablo.wikia..../Great_Conflict

Information about the Sin War: (http://diablo.wikia..../Sin_War_(event))

This is derived from the fact that Auriel says “At last, we have captured one of the Prime Evils” So the assumption is this is the first time they tracked down and captured Diablo. Further, before the end of the Sin War Diablo had returned and was later banished to Sanctuary, thus it had to be early on.

Diablo’s “Trap”:

Diablo makes the statement that “At last, the trap has been sprung” just before he dies. While there is no apparent trap for the angels, and Diablo is still very much dead, the trap itself is the seed of distrust within the Angiris Council. Prior to diablo’s death, Tyrael attempts to stop Imperious saying that killing him is not justice. Remember the Archangel’s each have their own realm of power, Tyrael’s being justice. By defying Tyrael and not allowing the Angiris Council to make the decision, Imperious’ anger to kill Diablo starts the chain reaction of the Angiris Council no longer trusting each other. My belief is this will be a pretty big part of events to come in Diablo 3.

Opening Cinematic Teaser:

In the opening cinematic of Diablo 3, Deckard Cain states that “at the end of days, the first sign shall appear in the heavens. Justice shall fall upon the world of men.”

This could mean one of two things: First that the angels are no longer able to uphold justice and thus it is up to men to prevent the armies of hell from taking over. This is a possibility as the Angiris Council is no longer able to work together and thus their ability to protect sanctuary is likely not possible. The “First Sign” would likely refer to the star falling from the sky and destroying the Cathedral.

The Second, and what I believe is more likely, Is that The Star falling from the sky is actually Tyrael; I believe this for a few reasons: First the events of “Wrath” caused the angels to not trust each other. Second, after the sin war the Angiris Council found out about Sanctuary and had to vote on what they were to do with it. Imperious was for destroying sanctuary as the mortals could become a threat, Auriel wanted to protect it. The final vote was cast upon Tyrael, who at first wanted to get rid of sanctuary; however his interactions with the mortals caused him to change his opinion and thus Sanctuary was saved.

So back to the original point, why was Tyrael cast down from the heavens? In Act 4 of Diablo 2 when you talk to tyrael he tells you that you must face Diablo alone as he is not allowed to interfere with the mortal realm. However at the end of Act 5 Tytrael is forced to intervene due to Baal corrupting the Worldstone, and destroy it. It is likely that upon returning, Tyrael is punished for disobeying, stripped of his ranking, and exiled. With Tyrael gone there is no longer an Archangel of Justice, there is also likely more hatred between the remaining Angiris Council. This is an opportune time for Azmodan to make his move.

The Black Soulstone Video:

So there are two important factors to the Black Soulstone. The first being, what is the Black Soulstone. Unfortunatly we don’t know a ton, and this Wiki page basicly explains all the knowledge thus far:

http://diablo.wikia....Black_Soulstone

So what we do know is that the Black Soulstone was created by one of the original Horadrim, Zoltun Kulle. Kulle was also the one who held the original 3 soulstones which were used to imprison the three prime evils, however such a burden had left its mark on kulle, absorbing his humanity. To reverse this, he created the black soulstone which he believed would restore his humanity by harnessing the essence of angels and demons. Before using it however he was slain by other members of the horadrim. Eventually the Black Soulstone ends up in Leah’s hands as she is trying to figure out what exactly the soulstone is.

WARNING: POSSIBLE *HUGE* SPOILER

The second important aspect of the Black Soulstone video is when Azmodan appears to Leah. In this sequence, Azmodan says:

“You thought you were so clever, that you had outwitted us all. One by one, our brethren fell into your trap, but not me. I defy you!”

And then goes onto talk about the Black Soulstone. What gamers are meant to think is that Leah has the soulstone and is keeping it hidden; Azmodan figures this out and thus shows Leah his power trying to terrify her…

But is he really talking to Leah? I think not. Let’s think about the character Leah for a moment. She is around the age of 20 (being born shortly after the events of Diablo 1) born from Adria the Witch and Prince Aidan. This means she has sorcery in her bloodline. After the events of Diablo 2, All of the soulstones had been destroyed and the Worldstone as well. This means no more soulstones could be made. So how were the Horadrim, or rather Deckard Cain, going to imprison Diablo from reincarnating?

By using a strong human vessel, to prevent Diablo’s soul from being reborn. This happened in a manner of speaking with Tal Rasha using his own body to seal Baal’s power. (Since the soulstone was cracked and could not contain it alone.) Due to Diablo’s soul being very weak after being defeated in D2, it is a likely possibility that a child born of strong sorcery could be a vessel and contain the power. (think Naruto and the nine-tailed demon)

So in reality, Azmodan is talking to Diablo (who's soul resides in Leah) in the Black Soulstone cutscene. This also brings up the question of why Diablo would betray his brethren. Actually this is quite simple, the 7 great evils had been fighting with each other for some time. While the 3 prime evils (Baal, Mephisto, Diablo) got along better, there was still conflict. In Diablo 2, Diablo allows Marius to follow him. Why? He killed everyone else. He lead Marius along so that Tyrael would intervene, So that Marius would obtain Baal’s soulstone, and hopefully Mephisto’s as well, and side with Tyrael to destroy them. (they could only be destroyed at the hellforge in hell, so Diablo needed his brothers to open the portal.) While Marius did not succeed, you the player do.

It is unclear if Diablo had wished to be destroyed as well. Likely not as he could not have predicted his soul to be placed back into the human world. But in either case his plan succeeded. Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto and eventually Baal were all slain, leaving just 2 lesser evils to deal with before Diablo had full control over Santuary (the mortal realm) as well as the Burning Hells.

How Will Diablo Emerge in Diablo 3?

AGAIN HUGE POTENTIAL SPOILERS

If my theory about Leah being the vessel which contains Diablo is true, then it is likely that Cain is helping Leah keep Diablo’s power in check. Leah gains the visions of hell as time goes on (possibly showing Diablo’s power is returning, and the acquisition of the black soulstone likely expediting the process). While this may start to weigh heavily on Leah, It is going to take something more to cause Diablo to take control. Solution? Cain is killed D:

While Cain is such an important part of the Diablo story aren’t we all tired of him sitting in town doing nothing and telling you to “Stay awhile and listen” when we have a world to save? While I am not 100% sure of this, I believe Cain will die around the end of Act 3, causing Leah to lose control and Diablo to take over.

Will Leah live?

That’s kind of a hard question to answer. Personally I believe her soul will be saved. Either by defeating Diablo and leah returning within an inch of life, or possibly Archangel Auriel saving her life. While my friend tends to disagree, I am hard pressed to believe Blizzard would kill off 2 important characters in 1 game. Also, due to the fact that Leah is the last of the Horadrim, there needs to be someone to continue the lineage.

Anyway that’s what thinking for 6 hours about Diablo 3 will get ya. If you care to comment or have your own ideas feel free to share, but please do use Spoiler Tags to anything that may reveal Plot points, be it real or just deductive logic.

Edited by vVv Blazek

I wish I was there for this debate!

Time to skim through while I work!

<3 U Blazek

Oh and btw, I totally agree with how Diablo emerges in this game.

SPOILER

Diablo is most definitely female and the only likely candidate would be Leah. As you said, Cain keeps her in check and it's about time he dies.

;)

I can't wait to see the cinematic on this..

As for her soul and does she live? who knows.. but Diablo is a female and its going to be her.

Images for proof.

http://www.tikisaurus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/diablo-3-boss-rage-poster.jpg

http://www.ilikewallpaper.com/iPhone-wallpapers/download/4679/Diablo-3-iPhone-wallpaper-ilikewallpaper_com.jpg

Edited by vVv Kraft

we shall see! i dont actually have anything to add just wanted to say good read i enjoyed that. only 4 1/2 hours to go then we can start finding out!

we shall see! i dont actually have anything to add just wanted to say good read i enjoyed that. only 4 1/2 hours to go then we can start finding out!

Thank you! it was indeed fun to discuss and I felt it was worth sharing.

Remember if you plan on playing tonight, hop on mumble! There should be several of us having tons of fun!

Edited by vVv Blazek

you were pretty spot on with almost everything i was playing threw and once i finished normal mode i was like god damn blazek can see into the future :o:P

you were pretty spot on with almost everything i was playing threw and once i finished normal mode i was like god damn blazek can see into the future :o:P

hah, yeah i got a lot of it, unfortunatly i think i overthought some things. However I was discussing the story last night with my friends as I feel there were some plot holes, so I came up with an alternate way to tell the story (specificly end of act 3 onward) with my original ideas to augment the real story. I feel it would have actually been a lot better.

Either way I will be doing a post about all of that next week, want to give everyone a chance to finish the game so that more will be able to discuss it :)

Edited by vVv Blazek

yeah let em absorb the story line first.

what im really surprised about the how early cain was killed off thats really the only thing i wish could be different