Anaxamander

Spectator Mode

I personally can't wait.

A.) It'll allow much more active viewing for in-houses.

B.) If I catch vVv members playing a game on mumble, I can just find them on my friends list to watch al the action they're in.

C.) I can also invite other people from vVv to watch my games so that they can oversee what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong so I can really excel at the champion I'm playing as.

Though, it'd also be nice if you can jump in from a chat as well. But hey, that's just a good suggestion!

I am so excited for this. It's going to make my job as a shoutcaster harder, but it'll let me do play-by-plays like Football is able to do, then immediately go to the present time again. It also will allow for pauses so commercials can be played, making it easier to monetize League of Legends. They had these features with the e-sports community in mind, no doubt about it.

3 min delay

Also, even with the pauses you can only get up the delayed part.

(5 min comemrcial break, you can only progress another 5 minutes into the stream)

No ghosting possible.

I am so excited for this. It's going to make my job as a shoutcaster harder, but it'll let me do play-by-plays like Football is able to do, then immediately go to the present time again. It also will allow for pauses so commercials can be played, making it easier to monetize League of Legends. They had these features with the e-sports community in mind, no doubt about it.

This was definitely done with the e-sports community in mind, however I think it will be detrimental to shout-casters and streamers.

Viewers are going to be able to spectate matches through the LoL client and cut off revenue made by shout-casters and streamers that they make off of third party web-sites.

With unlimited spectator slots in matches, anyone is going to be able to shout-cast or simply view any match that they want. This will lead to a large increase in the quantity of high elo streams over a diminished view-base.

The only way that i see this as being advantageous to shout-casters is that they have a lot of new tools for spectating matches. The few casters that master the new spectating interface will attract more viewers by delivering better content.

A lot of this is mere speculation, but I would like to know your thoughts on this. Will these be significant factors? Will there be more streamers/casters? Will this lead to a smaller viewer-base? How might one differentiate themselves from the clutter of other casters?

This was definitely done with the e-sports community in mind, however I think it will be detrimental to shout-casters and streamers.

Viewers are going to be able to spectate matches through the LoL client and cut off revenue made by shout-casters and streamers that they make off of third party web-sites.

With unlimited spectator slots in matches, anyone is going to be able to shout-cast or simply view any match that they want. This will lead to a large increase in the quantity of high elo streams over a diminished view-base.

The only way that i see this as being advantageous to shout-casters is that they have a lot of new tools for spectating matches. The few casters that master the new spectating interface will attract more viewers by delivering better content.

A lot of this is mere speculation, but I would like to know your thoughts on this. Will these be significant factors? Will there be more streamers/casters? Will this lead to a smaller viewer-base? How might one differentiate themselves from the clutter of other casters?

They're ligitimate concerns, but what you have to consider is that people WON'T be able to just watch any match they want. There will be that little list of five, but in the grand scheme of things that's not very much. You have to have the person as a friend for them to drop in on your match. When people watch a stream, they don't do it just because they want to watch League of Legends. They do it because they want to watch a high-level player play, and that's not going to change. Streamers have also gotten more shrewed. They offer advice and tips while they play, something you'll never be able to get out of just spectating.

As for the "clutter of casters," we're going to end up with a whole lot of amateurs that will try it out and cast it aside I think.

Anax, your argument is solid, but what if they decide to lock out the IPL Finals, MLG Finals, or whatever from the spectating, force people to pay to watch the streams, which in turn means good quality casting or else.

AND if more people CAN cast, maybe more good people can come out of the woodwork and show off their talents.

They're ligitimate concerns, but what you have to consider is that people WON'T be able to just watch any match they want. There will be that little list of five, but in the grand scheme of things that's not very much. You have to have the person as a friend for them to drop in on your match. When people watch a stream, they don't do it just because they want to watch League of Legends. They do it because they want to watch a high-level player play, and that's not going to change. Streamers have also gotten more shrewed. They offer advice and tips while they play, something you'll never be able to get out of just spectating.

As for the "clutter of casters," we're going to end up with a whole lot of amateurs that will try it out and cast it aside I think.

I guess I forgot that not everybody has dozens of high elo players on their friend list lol... Maybe I can start charging for spots on my friend list. :D

We will just have to wait and see how this one plays out I guess.

I think it will mostly get used to watch friends play, thats about it really. Can't see it changing very much apart from being a "fun" addition to the game and give the general community a use for spectator, because now... there really isn't one.

I think it will mostly get used to watch friends play, thats about it really. Can't see it changing very much apart from being a "fun" addition to the game and give the general community a use for spectator, because now... there really isn't one.

"Hey man, you wanna play?"

"Sorry, im about 25 minutes into one"

"Ah cool I'll watch, who're you playing?"

"Hey man, you wanna play?"

"Sorry, im about 25 minutes into one"

"Ah cool I'll watch, who're you playing?"

^^this.

As far as reducing numbers on streams goes... don't think it will do anything negative, if anything it will make more of the community aware of being able to watch other peoples games, the fact that its fun to watch and it won't take long for people to be like "maybe... i could watch pro's play on stream and learn things" so it will probably infact have a possitive inpact on streamers.

Currently I try to watch Scarra steam whenever I can, 100% my fav stream currently, his very informative and explains everything from champion select to destorying the nexus as he goes along.

I don't think it will cut down on stream numbers too much. DoTA 2 runs this thing(and has been.. Riot Games....) and their stream numbers aren't that bad, all things considered.I think the stream numbers maybe might fall a tiny bit(not much) but I don't think it will be anything drastic.

I Don't like this spectate mode tbh, I feel half the people who play league watch streams like half the time, and now this omgosh! It's okay, imo but I wish theirs an option to block your games so people cant spectate Is their this option?

Like pro teams, if they wanna practise new comps etc.. how? you can just watch them? 24/7?

Edited by Meebu

I Don't like this spectate mode tbh, I feel half the people who play league watch streams like half the time, and now this omgosh! It's okay, imo but I wish theirs an option to block your games so people cant spectate Is their this option?

Like pro teams, if they wanna practise new comps etc.. how? you can just watch them? 24/7?

On a custom game you have the ability to exclude spectators. Also, you can only spectate people on your friends list.