Sign in to follow this  
SleepyTigerz

Guild Wars 2 PvP Thread - Updated!

GUILD WARS 2 PVP THREAD

warriorbig.png

UPDATED WITH A FIX ON JOINING PVP TEAMS, TIERS, ARTICLES, VIDEOS, AND MORE LATER ON! :D

- - - - - - - - PvP Teams

PvP is gonna be a huge thing in GW2 and a large part of the vVv guild as well. Hopefully we can get a group together for high level tournament play. However, with the game not being out yet, selecting the team may be a little difficult. Team composition, the time commitment of the players, and skill will be a huge part of the arena/conquest play, so selecting the right players will be critical (For example having a team comprised of high damage dealing classes who can't soak up much damage might have a hard time protecting points and the trebuchet, but having tanky classes who don't have a high level of skill wouldn't be too helpful either).

Tiers:

Now, if you've visited this thread before, you know I had 3 tiers created: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. However, the sign ups for Tier 3 (And even Tier 2 to some degree) has been a bit lackluster. So I've decided to change up the system a bit :P

• Tier V (Filler name FTW, no?) is our tournament team, thus only 5 (or 10 if decide to send another team onto tournaments) are allowed in. You gotta be the best of Tier 1 if you want to make it into this group as well as having a schedule that can coincide with your team's schedule. Because skill level within GW2 won't be known until a few months or so after the game releases, this team won't be started until later on. Also, this Tier has no sign-up; it is by invitation only. Expressing a like to join this team ok, but begging to get in isn't at all. If you are truly the best like you think you are, then your skill will get you on this team ;)
  • Tier 1 is still our "top-of-the-line" or competitive PvPers. They are expected to know their role and class inside and out (Once the game comes out of course, but studying beforehand never hurts! ;)). You can sign up, but you aren't guaranteed to get in. If you want to be apart of this team, you'll need to be ready to: work in a team, learn strategies, have a good attendance rate, and bring the best you've got to the table.
  • Tier 2 is our free to join PvP team! Still slightly competitive and sure to represent our name well, but has different levels of players. This isn't for people who just want to move up from WvW, it is for everyone that didn't make it in Tier 1 or simply can't be apart of Tier 1. Have odd hours, can't make all the events, don't wanna be as competitive as Tier 1, or just want to get your feet wet in a little organized Conquest PvP? This team is for you!

As you may have noticed, Tier 3 is gone! In all the sign-ups, no one wanted to be in Tier 3 if they didn't have to. So now, Tier 2 is a mixture of both and hopefully can accommodate different anyone who's in it, competitive or not. ^_^ All sign up forms sent out from now on will be changed to fit this. Later on, if it is needed, another Tier may be added. If you have any worries regarding this, please message me! I would love feedback on this idea!!

Joining vVv's PvP Teams:

Signing up is simple! As soon as you join our guild, you'll get a message from me asking you if you wish to join the PvP Teams; just reply back to me with a filled out form and you're all signed up! But remember, this does not mean you've made it into your selected tier (Unless that Tier is 2, because that one is free to join!). As of right now, teams are only selected based of the application you submitted and are subject to change once Guild Wars 2 is released. This is the form that you'll be required to message me when you sign up:

Name-

Tier you wish to enter-

Past gaming experience (PvP, competitive stuff, and so on)-

What class do you plan on playing in GW2?-

What role do you plan on playing in GW2?-

How committed will you be to your GW2 PvP group?-

Also the fact that you were, let's say, extremely good at WoW arena play doesn't mean that you'll be great at GW2's PvP. Of course, someone who had more past experience in PvP and MMOs will most likely have a better start then someone who has only played FPSs competitively or something around that.

Roles:

• A single target fighter (Theif, lighting Elementalist, ect.) to scout the battlefield, harass the other team's points to keep player there, take out the enemy trebuchet and jump in and out of battles to take out targets.
  • A 1v1 fighter who excels at 1v1 fights and staying alive to sit on the trebuchet when it is needed and if not needed, can also fufil the single-target's role of harassing the other team's points (Ranger, Necromancer, etc.)
  • A defender who can hold a point if its under siege until backup can arrive (Ranger, Engineer, Warrior, etc.)
  • A tanky character to hold points that are usually parts of large battles and protect their allies while wading through damage themselves (Guardian, Warrior, etc.)
  • A more support-y type of person that can throw out buffs, debuffs, and heals as well as help control the fight. This isn't like healers in other MMOs; they still do damage, even though not to an extent of main damage dealers! (Elixir Engineer, water Elementalist, Guardian, etc.)
  • And finally a damage dealer for large battles who can do huge amounts of AOE (Fire Elementalist, grenade Engineer, etc.)

Joining process for each different role:

Now judging if the person can actually fit into their role will most likely be the hardest part; if an Engineer plans to make a build that will help them hold a point with mines and a thumper turret, then a 1v1 duel won't really show how well they do their job. So, you test them for the role they're gonna play, for example:

• If you're planing to be someone who sits on the trebuchet, you need to be able to hold yourself in a 1v1 duel. Thus, your trial will be going against one of the players of the tier you wish to be in a 1v1 fight.
  • If you want to be a "tanky" class so to speak, you'll have to be able protect your team-mates while in long fights on points as well as being able to wade through damage yourself. The only way I can see to test this is putting you in a few conquest matches and watching how you do. Or maybe even how you do in small WvW skirmishes.
  • I feel there will be 2 types of DPS in the PvP: One that does high single-target damage to take out weak targets or important players and one that can do massive amounts of AOE damage in large fights. For single-target, you will most likely 1v1 someone and try to burst them down. For AOE, we'll most likely just throw you into WvW and see how well you can protect the keep or something like that.
  • Since there is no "healer" in GW2, we would have "supports" who throw out heals every now and then while removing debuffs. For this test, just help your team in WvW stay alive and they will rate you by how much you helped.
  • Defending points will be very important in Conquest mode and if you wish to be a defender, I can see a try out going something like this: you and two other people will go somewhere in the world. One shall be your enemy and the other will be your teammate. You we be assigned to protect a tree or something and your teammate will be place a distance away that is comparable to the distance between two points. If the enemy kills you before your teammate arrives or stays too close to the thing you're protecting too long, you're doing it wrong :) (Or if you aren't picky about it like me, just throw 'em into a conquest match lol)

- - - - - - - Articles:

PvP only articles for specific classes has been very hard to find (Most likely due to the fact the game isn't out yet, duh), so please message me some good ones you find and/or write! ;)

Battle of Kyhlo by Jonathan Sharp

Guild Wars 2 PvP General Info (Game Types, Tournament Info, etc)

Guild Wars 2 World vs. World PvP guide by PCGAMER

Hands-on with PvP in Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 PvP Roundtable With ArenaNet

A look at Guild Wars 2's world vs. world PvP

Guild Wars 2 PvP Details[

QQ Feature: The Warrior Overview

QQ Feature: The Engineer Overview

QQ Feature: The Necromancer Overview

QQ Feature: The Thief Overview

QQ Feature: The Ranger Overview

QQ Feature: The Elementalist Overview

QQ Feature: The Guardian Overview

]The Engineer of Guild Wars 2 – BOON Control In Depth

The Thief of Guild Wars 2 – BOON Control In-depth Review

The Necromancer of Guild Wars 2 – BOON Control In-depth Review

Multi-Intro of Elementalist by Kobert

To Catch a Thief [skill and Trait Explanation] by Talon

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, Shoot more arrows. [Ranger Guide]

- - - - - - - - Videos:

(Linked for less clutter :))

Guild Wars 2 Podcast - Detailed Thief Overview

Guild Wars 2 PvP Systems

The PvP in Guild Wars 2: The Forest of Niflhel (Amazing 1v1 Thief vs. Mesmer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OACvN6HjZ94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvv9VAc74YA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS5MJ2UGN_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_287971&src_vid=hPQH-HasLgQ&v=_uvbNKll-Vc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPQH-HasLgQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_317931&src_vid=hPQH-HasLgQ&v=JfhdRjSKMtY

Please, if you have any ideas for the PvP ideas, better ways to go about the entry process for our PvP teams, more articles, or anyway to make this thread better feel free to tell me! :D

Edited by SleepyTigerz

The only link that works is the engineer on your articles just so you know. And i think competitive PvP will be on the back burner for the first few weeks of the games release but it's good that people are starting to think about it now rather than later.

Holy...

This is awesome sleepy! I was worried you weren't going to be very active but, I was wrong.

I do like this idea tho, lets see what other members think about this so far. :)

@Talon: I'll get that fixed, sorry.

@Voison: Thanks and glad you like the idea! :D And sorry for not being very active so far, been stalking the MMO Campion and Guild Wars 2 Guru's forums a little too much the past few days lol.

I agree with this format and looking forward to playing arouned with it.

i great strategy to do with the theif, is to go to an enemy point and force 2 of them to stay there, while your other team ains an advantage at another point to capture it.

I agree with this format and looking forward to playing arouned with it.

i great strategy to do with the theif, is to go to an enemy point and force 2 of them to stay there, while your other team ains an advantage at another point to capture it.

I guess that could go under the 1v1 role if the treb isn't needed at the time or as one of the single target fighter's jobs. Great idea!

Edited by SleepyTigerz

I would be 100% down for a competitive team. Been playing MMO's and MOBA's competitively for years as well as Magic the Gathering at a high level. Time commitment is not an issue. Considering ArenaNets dedication to the 100,000$ tournament series for guild wars i believe they will have just as much if not more success with GW2 due to the incredible hype backing the game. @BLCTalon on twitter if you'd like to chat and I will be putting out PvP articles on GW2 without a doubt in the future.

I would love to start getting the teams all together, but I think I would need some permission first *Cough cough* Voison *Cough cough*

I myself would also love to be apart of the Tier 1 team. :)

Edited by SleepyTigerz

I would love to start getting the teams all together, but I think I would need some permission first *Cough cough* Voison *Cough cough*

I myself would also love to be apart of the Tier 1 team. :)

If you want to start rounding people up, thats fine! :)

We will see how well that works out, then go from there!

Remember there are 2 forms of PvP in Guild Wars 2: WvW and Conquest (battlegrounds) and thus skill, strategy, and involvement in each will differ for each player.

While this is an excelent start you have Sleepy it seems to focus on conquest. People who are used to WoW / WAR / AoC / SWToR etc. will likely be familiar with this type of gameplay and more easily adapt, as long as they are team players and not just the random queue people you end up with most of the time >.>

WvW is a different beast all together and really only people who are DAoC vets will be used to the strategy involved (to some extent WAR players aswell). Thankfully WvW is done right and gives players more of a reason to defend rather then just constantly jumping to attack another keep. But i digress, WvW is nice as anyone can join the zerg group, however scouts, 8 mans, decoys and defenders all take a bit more corrdination on a much larger scale. Hell it's been quite some time since I have done it and will take time to get used to the GW2 variation.

p.s. if you cant tell im excited :3

Remember there are 2 forms of PvP in Guild Wars 2: WvW and Conquest (battlegrounds) and thus skill, strategy, and involvement in each will differ for each player.

While this is an excelent start you have Sleepy it seems to focus on conquest. People who are used to WoW / WAR / AoC / SWToR etc. will likely be familiar with this type of gameplay and more easily adapt, as long as they are team players and not just the random queue people you end up with most of the time >.>

WvW is a different beast all together and really only people who are DAoC vets will be used to the strategy involved (to some extent WAR players aswell). Thankfully WvW is done right and gives players more of a reason to defend rather then just constantly jumping to attack another keep. But i digress, WvW is nice as anyone can join the zerg group, however scouts, 8 mans, decoys and defenders all take a bit more corrdination on a much larger scale. Hell it's been quite some time since I have done it and will take time to get used to the GW2 variation.

p.s. if you cant tell im excited :3

I'm. So. Fucking. Pumped.

@Blazek: Oh, I'm fully aware of WvW; in fact, I'm pretty damn excited for it and it may be the first things I do when I log on xD But you are right, this thread had almost a complete focus on Conquest for two reasons: One, I really wanted to throw out my idea and start getting our teams together so we can get a head start and dominate the competitive side of things. And two, I never had the chance to play DAoC or other games like it, so I don't have any idea if any of my ideas will work. I'll stare at the WvW map and think of all strats I can, and even if they are good, I'll have no idea because I've never been placed in a situation like it. However, if anyone has any experience in the Realm v Realm side of PvP, please feel free to let me know and I would love to put your ideas, strats, etc. in this thread! :)

Also, when I say I wanna get teams ready for the competitive side of things, I don't fully agree with ArenaNet about WvW being casual. Sure it is much easier to just hope into and have fun, but I believe that WvW will take the same amount - if not more - of strategy as Conquest mode. Bah, I guess I just hate the term "casual". Too many people have too many different terms for it. ><

@Voison: Thanks! I'll start PMing everyone that has signed up so far for the guild about the PvP teams!

@Talon: As Voison said, who are you? Jk jk, but if you wanna be in Tier 1, feel free to message your app to me lol :P

Do you have any notable credentials? I'd like to know who I'm sending my app to considering I've never heard anything about you lol.

Kinda glad you haven't heard of me because if you have I'd be worried lol.

I'm very new to vVv, but I've PvPed for awhile, including arena play and ranked battlegrounds in WoW as a Feral Druid and a Priest healer, however not ever high enough to competitive play because I slowly grew out of WoW and quit a few months ago (I think it's the pandas that really pushed me out of it XD). I also tried to scrape a team together in SWTOR and did pretty well considering the lack of PvP support in that game. I got Battlemaster and almost to Warhero.

So yeah, mostly just a PvPer who loves video games to theorycraft a little too much for her own good xP Besides, I doubt I have a huge say in who goes into what team; leave that to the Guild leader and officer. Also, if it matters to you, a few years back I was very competitive in TCGs. Nationals and stuff... Yeah, I have no life at all! :D

Oh yeah? I used to play MTG competitively. Small world ^.^ I just think its a bit premature to be talking about top tier PvP before the game comes out. But I'm sure people will emerge as it nears closer to release. I have no interest in anything else but playing competitively as I know the scene will be backed by a huge fanbase. Really looking forward to it.

Edited by Talon

Never got in MTG very competitively but when I played it with friends I had a blast ^^

I'm a little competitive by nature really wish to play GW2 competitively as well. And yeah, it's very early, but I've already seen guilds start prepping up for tournament play and getting ready so I thought, "Why can't we?" Domination comes with preparation, and of course, one of vVv's main goals is to dominate. :3

You guys seem very dedicated, and I'm glad you guys are.

If you guys have any friends who want to join vVv Gaming (The guild), just send them to the forums and have them post in the guild list topic.

We are currently open to anyone joining, like we did in SWToR, Aion, and rift. People still have to apply to be a full member of vVv Gaming and would probably have to apply for our PvP teams (Up to Sleepy, Talon, and other PvP All stars!) lol.

Talon & Sleepy should apply to be full members of vVv Gaming.

http://www.vvv-gaming.com/forum/forum/863-community-gamer/

(Just put Guild Wars 2 in on the application - Currently don't have a section for GW2)

or

http://www.vvv-gaming.com/forum/forum/832-guild-wars-2-officer-applications/

(If you want to apply to be an officer, choice is yours.

If you guys have any friends who want to join vVv Gaming (The guild), just send them to the forums and have them post in the guild list topic.

We are currently open to anyone joining, like we did in SWToR, Aion, and rift. People still have to apply to be a full member of vVv Gaming and would probably have to apply for our PvP teams (Up to Sleepy, Talon, and other PvP All stars!) lol.

http://www.vvv-gamin...ommunity-gamer/

(Just put Guild Wars 2 in on the application - Currently don't have a section for GW2)

or

http://www.vvv-gamin...r-applications/

I'll start working on said application. Much appreciated <3

http://www.vvv-gamin...ommunity-gamer/

or

http://www.vvv-gamin...r-applications/

Oh wow, thank you <3 However, sadly I'm sightly below the minimum age requirement ='(

Oh wow, thank you <3 However, sadly I'm sightly below the minimum age requirement ='(

How slightly are we talking? Is it by like one year because we do make exceptions, when people show how mature they are.

I just need dedicated people for GW2, and so far you and talon are doing an amazing job.

How slightly are we talking? Is it by like one year because we do make exceptions, when people show how mature they are.

I just need dedicated people for GW2, and so far you and talon are doing an amazing job.

Only about a year and a half lol

@Blazek: Oh, I'm fully aware of WvW; in fact, I'm pretty damn excited for it and it may be the first things I do when I log on xD But you are right, this thread had almost a complete focus on Conquest for two reasons: One, I really wanted to throw out my idea and start getting our teams together so we can get a head start and dominate the competitive side of things. And two, I never had the chance to play DAoC or other games like it, so I don't have any idea if any of my ideas will work. I'll stare at the WvW map and think of all strats I can, and even if they are good, I'll have no idea because I've never been placed in a situation like it. However, if anyone has any experience in the Realm v Realm side of PvP, please feel free to let me know and I would love to put your ideas, strats, etc. in this thread! :)

Also, when I say I wanna get teams ready for the competitive side of things, I don't fully agree with ArenaNet about WvW being casual. Sure it is much easier to just hope into and have fun, but I believe that WvW will take the same amount - if not more - of strategy as Conquest mode. Bah, I guess I just hate the term "casual". Too many people have too many different terms for it. ><

Its understandable to focus on conquest as it is much more of a structured PvP and one people are much more familiar with, and as far as any chance of GW2 going competitive this is where it will be, so you did start in the right place.

As far as WvW I still haven't looked into it as much as I would like, but I agree it is much more then a "casual" thing. Time zone warfare was a very real thing in DAoC and EVE online, and i suspect it will play a big role in GW2 (unless ofcourse they take the Aion route, hopefully they don't). There are many elements that effect RvR that don't apply to conquest/battlegrounds, thankfully vVv does have some Warhammer vets and I believe I am not the only DAoC vet here either; so that will come as more knowledge about WvW becomes avalible.

Only about a year and a half lol

lol, well if you want like I said you can apply its up to you. I just need dedicated people, because so far not a lot of our members are being active and want to help.

GW2 is going to be the next big MMO, so I want to make sure we come out on top.