EXpoZuR

My Astro A40 vs SteelSeries Siberia V2 Experience

*This is to help you if you need to make a decision regarding your next headset purchase. It is merely my experience with the headsets and is not meant to say which is better. This post contains only the observations that I have made.*

As we all know, Astro has been the main gaming headset for Major League Gamers for quite some time now. And recently, SteelSeries has released the Siberia V2 headset which rivals the performance and look of the Astro A40s. I have had the pleasure of using both the A40 and Siberia headsets and here are some things I can say about both of them:

astroa40-3.pngsiberia.jpg

Price:

This is is a big part of anyone's decision when getting a headset. The Astro A40 comes in at over 200 dollars with the mixamp and headset which is a bit pricey to any gamer on a budget. The Siberia V2 definitely trumps the Astro A40s in this department. Steelseries has released the V2 in many different colors ranging from around 80-100$ which makes the Siberia V2 a great choice for gamers with a light wallet. If you are choosing a headset simply on price I would definitely go with the Siberia V2.

Comfort:

For any serious gamer, comfort is an essential part of a headset. In my experience, I had used the Astro A40s for about 2 years before I used the Siberia V2s, and when I tried the V2s I couldn't believe the comfort I got. They are easily half the weight, maybe less, and have in my opinion more comfortable/larger earcups. They also sit much tighter on your head, I could probably do a handstand while keeping them on my head. Their head strap is also unique in that it conforms to whatever shape your head is, plus it is a comfortable felt material. Now, I'm not going to say that the Astro A40s are not a comfortable headset, because they definitely are. But if you were to switch from Astros to the Siberia's, well, let's just say you might not even remember you have them on.

Durability:

No one wants a broken headset, and this is a problem that I have seen with both the Astro and Siberia headsets. My first pair of A40s lasted me for quite a long time, but became increasingly loose in their turning earcups. However, despite many falls from my desk, my A40s have stayed working. They are also made of a durable yet bendable material that won't crack and seems to decrease impact. When I first tried the Siberia V2 I could tell that the outer plastic was not as durable as the A40's. Which is sort of a give and take, they are lighter but because of this they are less durable. Also, once when I took off my Siberias, I heard a small pop in the left earcup which made the earcup very loose. This happened after only a week of use. So if you are looking for durability in your headset, the Astro A40s seem to be the way to go.

Sound Quality:

This is a tough area to judge, because both the Astro A40s and Siberia V2s have excellent sound quality when playing a game. One thing I did notice, however, is that the Siberia V2s do a better job of cancelling noise, which is good for most people. However, I usually enjoy watching TV while I play so complete noise cancellation was not something that I could appreciate to its fullness. The Astro A40s seemed to have better bass where the Siberia V2s had more treble. So to summarize, the Astros seemed to cancel less sound but had better bass while the Siberias cancelled more sound and had higher treble.

Microphone:

In my experience, the microphone is where the Astro A40s blew out the Siberia V2s. The Siberia V2 has a very small microphone, which is retractable, a very cool feature. However, when talking to my team on Xbox Live I found myself having to almost eat my microphone to get it to pick up my voice. And if I played for a while I found that my microphone moved too far away from my mouth for anyone to hear me. Now this might just be my experience with a faulty mic and may not represent most Siberia mics. However, the Astro microphone is much larger and completely removable which picks up sound surprisingly well. I have never had a problem with my team hearing me when using the A40s. The Astro A40 microphone in my experience was by far better than the Steel Series microphone.

So, to summarize, I feel that the Siberia V2s have a much better price and are more comfortable. Their sound quality is about equal, although the Siberias do cancel out more sound. The Astro A40s are quite a bit more durable, but do experience problems over time. The A40's microphone was much better in my experience, it could pick up sound wherever it was on my head while the Siberia mic needed to be almost in my mouth to work.

I hope that this helped you in your future headset decision, thanks for reading and let me know what you think about the headsets.

*Note: I am not entirely sure how to use the Siberia V2s without an Astro Mixamp, although I have been told there is a way.*

Edited by EXpoZuR

you have to have a SteelSeries mix amp if you dont have an Astro one. Definitely reccomend using an Astro one over that though.

great post btw, ive been waiting for areal in depth review and you hit it spot on. thanks man

you have to have a SteelSeries mix amp if you dont have an Astro one. Definitely reccomend using an Astro one over that though.

great post btw, ive been waiting for areal in depth review and you hit it spot on. thanks man

Thanks so much! I'm still fairly new but I'm really looking forward to getting into the community :) You're welcome, I've been wanting to review that for a while now. Glad I could do it here.

Edited by EXpoZuR

In regards to durability, the cable that links the voice chat to XBL broke 5 times on me for the Astro A40's; while SS has only given me a problem once.

Used Astro for 2 years, SS for over a year. I still love Astro, but only for their MixAmp, which kicks ass with the 5HV2's I have. I also noticed that in order to my SS to pick up my voice I have to nearly eat the mic on Xbox, PC it works fine.

If I could make a recommendation, go with a Steel Series headset and get the Astro Mixamp. You get a plethora of cables from the Astro Mixamp which allows you to connect the SS to it.

Overall constructive and non-biased post;my feelings are similar.

Awesome post, really appreciate it since I've been mulling the decision for around a week now.

Thanks man I really appreciate that. I hope it helped you out.

In regards to durability, the cable that links the voice chat to XBL broke 5 times on me for the Astro A40's; while SS has only given me a problem once.

Used Astro for 2 years, SS for over a year. I still love Astro, but only for their MixAmp, which kicks ass with the 5HV2's I have. I also noticed that in order to my SS to pick up my voice I have to nearly eat the mic on Xbox, PC it works fine.

If I could make a recommendation, go with a Steel Series headset and get the Astro Mixamp. You get a plethora of cables from the Astro Mixamp which allows you to connect the SS to it.

Overall constructive and non-biased post;my feelings are similar.

Yeah I should have mentioned that. Whatever they make the Astro mic cable out of is complete garbage. Mine breaks every 2 months or so. However, they do send you a new one whenever you e-mail them. I can't actually use this to compare though because I used my Astro cable with my Siberias. Thanks for posting that.

thanks, for the review, thanks to you i 80% sure to get the siberia v2 gold/black soon! :thumbsup:

also i have a few questions before i make my decision

what is the astroamp and what does it do to the ss siberiav2?

Edited by RayOfLight

Astro Mixamp:

usb_mixamp_18.jpg

The Astro Mixamp is what allows you to connect your Astro A40s or Siberia V2s to your gaming console. It also allows you to control the volume of the game as well as the volume of other players in the game or party you are in. Any and all information about the Astro Mixamp can be found here:

http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamp-usb

Please note that if you are getting Siberia V2s then you will need this cord in order for them to work with your Astro Mixamp. The cord can be purchased here:

http://www.astrogaming.com/accessories/3rd-party-headset-y-adapter-pkg-d (However it may come with your Astro Mixamp)

Astro Y adapter:

hero_25.jpg