Griddlez

Good ELO Climbing Advice

Some really good advice here about not giving up and always taking advantage of seemly bad situations. Taken from http://www.team-dign...o-Queue-Demons/

I think the first way to start this article off is to state something: not all League of Legends games are winnable. You will lose games. Everyone does. But I want to go on record and say: most games are winnable. Anyone watching streams will often hear the phrase “throwing the game” tossed around when mistakes happen. People will blame the loss on lots of things: OP champs, dumb teammates, luck, etc etc. But people rarely blame themselves.

jarvaniv_splash_4.jpg

Sometimes there’s nothing you can do. All lanes get killed, your jungle dies early and they just keep rolling you. Nothing much you can. But sometimes there is. First thing to do: Don’t surrender. Tons of times I’ve been in situations where some enemy carry will be fed, one of our lanes is doing really poorly and our bot lane decides they hate each other. At this point someone will issue a surrender vote, two people will say no and the rest of the team will complain about how this is a waste of their time.

It’s never a waste of time if you learn how to come back. If you just surrender every time you’re down, all you’re saying is, “I have no idea how to play this game. Everytime I’ve won it’s been because everyone on my team does well in laning phase and I’ve been carried since then.” If you’re good at this game, you realize there are things you can do to come back.

Let’s say you’re losing top lane. You’re absolutely getting destroyed This could be for any number of reasons: perhaps a close first blood fight, an early Lee Sin gank or just wrong/runes masteries. What do you do? Do you continue to get zoned top lane complaining to your team that you can’t do anything and then after the game feel better saying you did all you could but their jungler was just better. Try to do something different.

Top lanes with dominance will usually become complacent with their upper hand and when sending their weaker opponent back might not call MIA. A three man gank mid between the top and the jungler can often net a good kill on their mid laner, at which point you can force dragon. Now you have a kill or an assist, a dragon and some good experience gained.

You’re the jungler and your bot lane is getting destroyed. Focusing on another lane might help, making sure that your solos are strong enough to offset the bot can help. Another way is to get an oracles. You’ll see lots of high level players grabbing early oracles, removing wards and gaining map control. This sets up for easier ganks as well as securing global objectives. And make no mistake: Global objectives are the most important part of this game.

They have an assassin team comp that’s doing well. Your team keeps getting picked off. Time to group. I’ve been ahead so far, and the other team groups and forces team fights when we’re out of position. This swings the momentum to their side and they keep forcing when they’re stronger. Teams without a tank line do well in ganks, less well in team fights.

Know what’s happening on the map. You don’t have to be the jungler to see that they have 3 top. At this point you know that sneaking a dragon is a good play. Inform your team, ping them, tell them, do whatever you can to make them see the play they have been offered.

Know how to build. If you’re behind your lane grab a few dorans, maybe an elixir. If you’re being killed, build some magic resistance, rather than finishing your Sheen. If you can’t complete your Rabadons by the time the next fight is going to happen, grab a Void Staff and a blue pot instead. The important thing in close fights is being as strong as possible. Often I see people only buy elixers in a last ditch effort, but you can buy them throughout the game.

So far I’ve been talking about how you can come back from what you might have considered a lost fight. But what about getting ahead and maintaining that lead? It’s harder than it sounds.

Force the right fights. When your team is ahead, you want to stay that way. If you’re stronger don’t split up and farm all the lanes with no wards. Force the next dragon. Grab an oracles, remove map control. Siege towers. Know where your teams strengths lie. If you have a fed AP carry you want to try to force fights. If you have a fed AD carry you want to push towers. AP carries will dominate a early dragon fight, while a fed AD will completely decimate a tower.

If you have a team focused on early game dominance (Shaco, Le Blanc, Pantheon, Miss Fortune, Taric etc) make sure to push your advantage. Don’t get cocky and let the other team farm for 10 minutes, because the game could swing.

Know what phase of the game you’re at know what is important then. Pushing a tower at five minutes might seem like a big accomplishment but often leaving it to deny experience is a stronger play.

exploded_nexus_2.jpg

This is the actual goal of the game. No matter what your kill hungry Shaco says.

Many things swing the game from one team to the other. Camping a bush and picking off their oracled support is a strong play. Stealing the enemy blue buff helps you and weakens them. These small advantages will turn into larger advantages later. But be careful of when you pursue them or not. Wanting to take the enemy blue is a great plan, but if baron is about to spawn it could be disastrous. Know the risk/reward of your ploys and do your best to minimize the risk, be it through warding, good play or effective team communication.

Through all of this you must talk to your team. Tell them what’s happening. Keep their spirits high, tell them you can still win. Pitch plans ahead of time: “Ok their blue is about to spawn in a minute. Everyone go buy and we’ll contest it. Soraka get an oracles and we’ll camp it. We’ll catch someone and then take the blue and force drag.” These kind of plans will get the team grouped, get everyone on the same page and give more focus.

Sometimes it doesn’t have to be that specific. “Ok guys, 3 more minutes to dragon, farm and play safe until then.” Let’s the team know what’s happening. “It’s time to get baron control, need to get an oracles and go sweep. We can ward around and try to bait them.” Try to keep the plans civil, simple and to the point.

Little bit of last advice

Don’t talk to the enemy team. This is something I personally have trouble with. When I’m playing normals I try to have fun with the game and joke around. However, more often than not, the other team takes it as offense and try to trash talk back. It’s a toxic aspect of the game, but I’ve found that talking to randoms produces more problems than benefits.

Obviously this is a harsh piece of advice. I wish I didn’t have to say, but I’ve noticed I do better when I don’t waste time or energy thinking about my next clever comeback to the enemy Yi. Most people play this game solely to win. This means they’re in a competitive mindset and will be “tryharding.” If they perceive you as insulting them they will get angry, since they’re doing their best and you’re mocking them.

Don’t get mad at your team. You ranting about how bad your Caitlin is won’t help her. Feel free to tell her what she did wrong. “Cait, in that fight we needed to sit back not run in.” is far more useful than “OMG CAIT LEARN TO PLAY.” The other side of this coin is, feel free to congratulate your teammates when they do good. Your bot lane get first blood? Type “Good job guys!” make the team feel better, build camaraderie, it’ll help and make your gaming together more pleasant.

Just to reiterate: Don’t surrender. The game isn’t over until your nexus explodes.

He doesn't write anything particularly groundbreaking in this post. It's always been the same. Also, make sure that you don't fall into the pitfalls of riding an OP champ up the Elo ladder, because when he/she gets nerfed, you may just as quickly fall back down.

The best advice to gaining Elo: simply get better at the game. Play more, and instead of watching everyone else make mistakes, focus on YOUR GAME and YOUR MISTAKES. Reflect and improve.

He doesn't write anything particularly groundbreaking in this post. It's always been the same. Also, make sure that you don't fall into the pitfalls of riding an OP champ up the Elo ladder, because when he/she gets nerfed, you may just as quickly fall back down.

Silsol??

Silsol??

He's actually back at 2230. Silsol is a very high risk, high reward player (doesn't take flash ever, notice his summoners are always heal ignite). He also tilts a lot, hence the humongous losing streaks. That's the danger of just chain queuing - losing streaks extend because you are already losing, and your mentality changes (even if you don't perceive it), and you will play worse.

How do you avoid losing streaks? Do you just stop playing for a while after losing a couple times so you can cool down?

good read, whenever i'm on a losing streak I tend to stop for a little while and then play a normal before going ranked again

The absolute most important thing is how you treat your teammates. I firmly believe that ELO hell only exists because of poor attitudes.

How do you avoid losing streaks? Do you just stop playing for a while after losing a couple times so you can cool down?

If I lose 2 or 3 games in a row, I usually stop playing ranked for the day/night. Some days (or even weeks) the queue gods are just not on your side.

If I lose 2 or 3 games in a row, I usually stop playing ranked for the day/night. Some days (or even weeks) the queue gods are just not on your side.

Okay, thanks man. I'll have to incorporate that into my play.

What about winning streaks? Do you keep playing til you lose, or do you try to stop before you lose at some point. (e.g if you win like 5 games in a row, do you stop playing to make sure your elo is at the highest for the day?)

Yeah like me I won't play 2 ranked games in a row. I usually do 1 ranked then 2 draft etc. A pattern I like to do because then If I do lose the 2 draft I know not to do a ranked cuz I'm out of it and I don't wanna lower my elo lower than it already is.

Okay, thanks man. I'll have to incorporate that into my play.

What about winning streaks? Do you keep playing til you lose, or do you try to stop before you lose at some point. (e.g if you win like 5 games in a row, do you stop playing to make sure your elo is at the highest for the day?)

I play until I get bored... I dunno, I'm not one of those players that chain queues on any kind of streak. I hardly play more than 2 or 3 games in a single session (solo queue that is) without breaking it with something else. Ranked 5s is a different matter and I'm more interested in running many games in a row.

Just remember, Elo is only a number. Don't let it define you.

Edited by Rcraft

I play until I get bored... I dunno, I'm not one of those players that chain queues on any kind of streak. I hardly play more than 2 or 3 games in a single session (solo queue that is) without breaking it with something else. Ranked 5s is a different matter and I'm more interested in running many games in a row.

I'm happy to have elo define me cause I play a lot worse than my elo.

Thanks man, that's pretty helpful.

Helpfull advice. On the subject of losing streaks, I tend to play through them, I did the same thing when I was fully playing SC2. It was easier to do on SC2 because I could watch replays and figure out what I did wrong, so even if I lose the next game I can see if I worked on those mistakes. Winning/losing streaks don't bother me that much honestly. They probably should, keeps the competitive streak in me up, but I don't let it define my play.

I hear a lot of "I got 15/5 and my team still loses". This is what separates people who actually know how to climb ELO. Its not about winning your lane, its about helping everyone win their lane. I win 80% of my games with Twisted Fate simply by side ganking every time I see a chance. At higher ELO's less deaths seem to happen in the laning phase until a side gank or jungler gank. The point is don't be so self centered and be pro team.

I hear a lot of "I got 15/5 and my team still loses". This is what separates people who actually know how to climb ELO. Its not about winning your lane, its about helping everyone win their lane. I win 80% of my games with Twisted Fate simply by side ganking every time I see a chance. At higher ELO's less deaths seem to happen in the laning phase until a side gank or jungler gank. The point is don't be so self centered and be pro team.

So very true. I hate when people do that. Play garen top, never leave lane, don't come for teamfights, don't die, and blame it on the team. Like when people insta call a champ I say no, play what we need, not what you want, this is a team game. Not your game.

So very true. I hate when people do that. Play garen top, never leave lane, don't come for teamfights, don't die, and blame it on the team. Like when people insta call a champ I say no, play what we need, not what you want, this is a team game. Not your game.

That is somewhat incorrect. You can't expect low tier players to play champions that are always good for the team. What you have to do is pick a champion that counters your lane and benefits the team. Make good calls and do lots of pings so that people know to go places. If they don't, don't give them a hard time, just politely ask them to respond to the ping next time. Everyone wants to win the game (cept trolls), so they will be agreeable with you. Besides, having people play champions that counter the team, but they don't know how to use the champion is almost as bad as having them counter themselves. For example, we had an enemy Kassadin mid once, so I had a friend of mine go Pantheon mid. (This guy is normally a jungler). Needless to say, he actually fed the Kassadin. We might as well have countered ourselves.

Soooo, let people pick the champions they are good at/like, and focus on your game as well as securing the team objectives (Baron/dragon) and your team will be at a huge advantage from that alone. The other parts of winning the game from that point on are knowing how to win your lane, where to be, and how to act in team fights. If you are flawless in all of these aspects, then you have the makings of a high tier player. The difficult part is whether or not you KNOW where to be, or where you THINK you should be.

Don't say you KNOW something unless it works well every time you execute that decision. Never assume you know everything about the game, or you will NOT get better at it. If you truly did know everything, then you would be well over 2k elo. Always look to learn from your own mistakes as well as the mistakes of others (This is a good way to learn counters btw)

Also, League of Legends is a game that is filled with logic. Just think logically about what your situations will be like, and you will be aware of how to counter it, and how you will do as the game goes on. If you really think about the champions, you can easily figure out which ones are late game, and which ones are early game. If you think of like Leblanc or veigar, you can think of a burst mage that is squishy. You can easily find counters. Leblanc's counter is disruption from her combo and health to sustain through her combo. Vladimir is a great counter to Leblanc. He has more health, and he can pool if necessary. Also, Vladimir dominates the late game through his passive and his q's and e's low cooldown. Leblanc tends to fall off late game, so Vladimir will take over. Veigar also falls off late game, but not to the extent of Leblanc. His w and his stun give him some good late game utility and damage. However, he stays very squishy, so the bruisers can sit on him. Use a Wukong or a Pantheon top lane to dominate Veigar in the team fights. They can easily live through his combo, and they can kill him in a matter of seconds.

I have given only a couple of examples of how you can counter a couple of champions that typically dominate low elo games. Mid is a HUGE lane. If you play mid, and you win your lane, you NEED to gank the other lanes and dominate the game. Also, if you're losing, you should still gank other lanes, when you get the chance. It can get you back into the game with a few quick kills. Mid has a level advantage over bot lane and the jungler. However, kills still give 300 gold a piece (assuming no deaths). A gank bot lane can help mid get back in the game, and it can give your bot lane a huge advantage. Not to mention, killing bot lane opens up the opportunity for a free dragon (more gold). Expect low tier players to mess up constantly with warding. Either they don't ward, they forget to refresh wards, or they don't replace wards after being counter warded. It is very easy to keep timers on their wards and gank as soon as they go down. Just look for those kinds of things.

As a jungler, it is crucial that you gank lanes, keep wards on the global objectives, and ward your jungle/their jungle depending on which team is ahead. If you are behind, NEVER counter jungle unless their jungler just died or is ganking on the opposite side of the map. Dragon can easily give your team an early game advantage. Junglers that can do dragon at level 6 are people like Trundle and Shaco. Look for others that can do it early. As the jungler, buy a pink ward at level 6 and pink dragon. If there are no wards, do the dragon. If there is a ward, kill the ward wait to see if anyone is responding. If they are, try to catch that lane out of position with your lane. If you cannot, then leave the area. If they do not respond, do dragon. They likely did not see you on the minimap.

Anyway, I really don't want to go into every position, but mid and jungler are most important in solo queue, so I thought I would say something. Anyway, this is not directed at Phoenix, it is for all people that want to get better at the game. Wow, I practically just wrote my own how to elo climb...

The biggest thing to elo climbing is knowing how to play the game, and not derping up. That is the most simple version of how to elo climb. Also, it is wise to limit your ranked games to a couple per day to limit the mental strain of it. In other words, as you go on back to back, you tend to get worse.

If anyone has any questions as to what a particular position should be doing through the course of a game, I have the resources to tell you in detail what each position's goals are and how to execute those goals. As well as which champions to choose when.

It always sucks when you got the one guy whos just out for kills, completely ignoring the fact that their team is asking them to actually help out in key situation >.> every game...