With new details about the MLG 2012 season coming out, and the release of our eSports survey results, it is time for me to announce our 2012 Strategy. We are making some pretty important changes in 2012. I warn you, this is going to be a long post.

First and foremost, there have been some recent changes with our staff. In particular, Asylum, Brock and Esoteric now hold a higher title in each of their respective divisions. Asylum is Director of PC Gaming, Brock is now the Vice President of Visual Media, and Esoteric is now the Director of Console Gaming.

Now onto the good stuff. To begin, I want to share with you something. As we come to our five year anniversary, I have had the privilege of conducting nearly 700 interviews for admittance into vVv Gaming. Of the few interview questions that have never changed, I have always asked, “What do you like most about vVv Gaming?’

Every time, I get the same answer: “the community.” Over the last 5 years, we have forged a very special place. As this very special anniversary approaches, I need to thank some of our longtime members. Please join me in thanking these longtime members:

With all the changes in competitive gaming/eSports, we have to change as well. As we change, we have to preserve our strengths, our community being one of those, as well as become more focused on revenue and business on our sponsored side. The new format for the MLG season will actually help us do that.

Knowing that the community side will remain the same, let me explain how we will evaluate the strength of a sponsored player and what we expect. Let me start by saying before we can sponsor ANY player or team, we need a reason that fans of that player or team will come to our Website. It would not do us any good for fans to come here once or twice. So, in order to keep those fans, we have to give them reasons to visit and stay on our website.

We can all agree that we have been better at this with some games than others. Also, we are lucky that things like our articles and podcast show have a broad appeal, so that is a start, but we still need title-specific content in order to keep fans engaged.

With that, I want to give you a game-by-game rundown of what our plans are for 2012. First, we are going to establish “Brand Champions” (BC) for each title. The BC is the one player who best represents vVv Gaming in a particular title. It is that BC who will always be fully sponsored, and also influences who gets sponsored in that division, along with the VP of that platform (Console = Esoteric, Asylum = PC) or in the very special case of Starcraft (SC2), Sugarbear.

Together, the BC and VP will ensure that we are supporting the right players, managing those players to ensure we get maximum value (streaming on vVv streams, driving traffic and creating content), as well as ensuring that fans always have reasons to visit our steams and website.

Call of Duty

I want to find the perfect BC for vVv Gaming. Some teams have approached us, but developing CoD is front and center for us in 2012, as far as quality content and players are concered. This will happen even if it is not on the MLG Pro Circuit. Apps are open, staff positions are available, and we are scouting looking for sponsorship requests.

Crossfire

After a great run in the WCG, and an awesome frag movie, 2012 will be an interesting time for vVv Lifeline and the game. We will keep a close eye on the developments in this title as it enters a critical stage.

CounterStrike: Source

Our current Source team is doing well, and will be going to the Montreal ETS LAN March 16-18. Expect this team to transition to CS:GO.

DotA2

We will keep an eye on this title. We have some community members playing it, but we will see what happens as this game gets more and more attention closer to release.

Diablo 3

Most of the vVv Gaming community will be playing Diablo 3. Expect us to have a lot of fun activity surrounding this game (and by fun, we almost always mean competitive, lol).

Gears of War

Enmity is our BC, and our team is solid. We will support Gears, and also expect us to do something with Beyond Gaming weekly for Gears of War. This will happen even if it is not on the MLG Pro Circuit. Apps are open.

FIAF 2012

Sadly, vVv Gaming will no longer accept any new applications or sponsoring any more FIFA players. We will continue supporting vVv Michs09 and his practice partner. Expect no expansion for FIFA or sports games in 2012.

Guild War 2

Expect us to have a huge presence in this game. It’s tough, because we will both play it AND want to have a top team. Expect us to prepare for the release, have a guild, and create content.

Halo

We are going to explore options based on what MLG does with Halo. It’s hard to say anything until we know more about what MLG plans to do.

League of Legends

This is the most played PC game in vVv Gaming. Hard to believe, right? Anaxamander is our BC. Expect us to continue to do 1v1 tournaments, as well as grow and develop our team. Apps are open. Expect more guides!

Mortal Kombat 9

CD Jr is our BC, and both him and Reo do well here. We will not be recruiting or accepting application for this division. Expect to see more great things from both of our players in 2012.

Rhythm Gaming

With Paradise’s recent win, expect us to follow this closely as the HERO franchise comes back to life in late 2012.

StarCraft 2

This game is obviously the center of the eSports universe, and we will continue to do what we do. Expect some player changes and some minor tremors as we focus more closely on this division. Wednesday Night Starcraft will continue. It’s hard to say much as we don’t want to give too much away. We have to do things behind the scenes due to the high profile nature of everything SC2. Expect changes.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

We just purged our guild of over 200 members (don’t worry, we still have almost 300), in order to retain only our best players and those who have progressed the most. It was time to ensure that the vVv guild was recognized only for its best, and we could not have those who were not keeping up diluting the guild. Our primary focus right now is guild progression. We will soon be doing guild and server events.

Super Smash Brothers: Brawl

Try as we might to explore what works well for us, we just can’t seem the right mix of players and content to keep traffic on our site. We invested over $1K in Apex, and sadly, the results just don't reflect what we want for 2012. Unfortunately, vVv Gaming will no longer be accepting new applications or sponsoring any brawl players. Our remaining players and apps will be put in the community gamer category. We understand if Brawl players want to leave. This was a tough choice.

Tribes Ascended

We’ll keep an eye on what happens with NASL, but right now we have no plans for this game.

Excited for what we'll be doing with beyond gaming, but pretty bummed about how halo may not be so big anymore. It's too bad brawl didn't work out for vVv, my heart feels for Apple :/

Excited for what we'll be doing with beyond gaming, but pretty bummed about how halo may not be so big anymore. It's too bad brawl didn't work out for vVv, my heart feels for Apple :/

I understand the decision and why it had to be this way. I am very disappointed, but I will continue to play Brawl at local tourneys. On the bright side this gives me a chance to explore new opportunities. I wish the best to vVv Gaming in 2012! <3

Edited by Apple

Definitely sucks about Brawl considering it's one of my favorite games to both play and watch, but yeah it had to be done. I definitely hope all our Brawlers continue to stick around anyway!

Great news, for the most part, on the 2012 season. It's unfortunate for those games we cannot support :(

Congratz to all 5 year members!

Will be looking to see how SWTOR and GW2 develop; unfortunately I made some poor choices when i started SWTOR so i have been playing the alt-o-holic game for some time, thankfully I have settled on 2 classes and after I move, I will become more involved with the guild :)

Looking forward to this year, hopefully will get to see as many people as possible at events!

Edited by vVv Blazek

Brawl getting cut out...I can understand because of the other fighting titles that are more popular, but still...that sucks. Halo, is always left in the dust though, no matter what I proposed last time it always seems to be the same thing,a "we'll see what we can do" situation that turns into nothing...I'll come up with something to propose in the next few days, expect a post soon.

This is great this is why i stay in vVv shoutout to the long time members your are all role models to us. Thanks for the update jerry everything is looking good Best wishes for gears 3 .Just so much great news i hope vVv gets 10x bigger this year i hope everything just goes well.

Hope DI continues to thrive here even without the Smash division, though if this now creates some contest of differences between mindset and physical output, I understand. But I'll continue as it stands, until someone says something, that is.

With a new year comes new expectations, but something that never changes as well... PASSION! is what keeps me here and I am sure I am not the only one. vVv is exciting and I will cheer for any vVv team or player no matter what the game.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.