vVv LordJerith

vVv Gaming's eSports Survey Results

****Warning! Long, detailed post.

Here are the results from our eSports Survey (n=398). We will use these results to guide our strategy for 2012. The first two charts show that although most of the respondents own many gaming consoles, the two primary gaming platforms are the Xbox 360 and the PC (Chart 1 and Chart 2). Being the most accomplished console organization in the world, it is no surprise that the Xbox360 (41%) edges out the PC (36%) as the most used platform for gaming.

Chart1

gallery_17235_652_5163.png

Chart2

gallery_17235_652_18861.png

When looking at the games actually played, we could see the console focus more as Call of Duty and Gears of War rose to the top of games played. On the PC side, it is important to note that League Of Legends was PLAYED more than Starcraft 2.

gallery_17235_652_6541.png

Game Informer magazine visitors spend on average 18 hours playing video games. The majority of our community spends more than 24 hours a week playing video games, showing that as competitive gamers, we game more than the average.

gallery_17235_652_22613.png

When we look at games being watched, we see that two very interesting trends:

• Starcraft is watched by nearly two-thirds of our community (60%), proving that more people WATCH SC2 than play SC2.
  • Call of Duty is the most watched and the most played console game

Three-fourths (77%) of our members watch at least 3 hours of streaming per week.

gallery_17235_652_18318.pnggallery_17235_652_14124.png

On both the console and the PC platforms, many of our visitors and members purchased at least 15 games per year.

gallery_17235_652_3385.pnggallery_17235_652_12376.png

When we asked respondents to tell us which games LACKED quality content, Call of Duty, Halo: Reach and Gears of War 3 all rose to the top. Although BF3 was in the mix, when we asked to narrow it down to ONE game that respondents most wanted to see quality content, it was Call of Duty (17%) and Gears of War 3 (15%) Overall, this indicates that console titles lack quality content.

gallery_17235_652_21391.pnggallery_17235_652_13958.png

A majority of respondents said that they visit the vVv Gaming Website more than once per day, and over 82% visit our site at least once a week.

gallery_17235_652_10213.png

As far as our website, there were little surprise when it came to the features that are most used, like our forums and shoutbox. The new website has increased the use of the home page, and we also see that the video feature is popular with over half of the respondents reporting they use this feature (52%). When we asked respondents to pick ONE feature, the forums came in a strong first, followed by the shoutbox and videos. There was little surprise on the features most used on our forum profiles with the "About Me" section coming out on top.

gallery_17235_652_8103.pnggallery_17235_652_31378.pnggallery_17235_652_6428.png

Getting more sponsors and more ads (41%) edged out frequent donation drives (33%) as a primary way to increase revenue in 2012.

gallery_17235_652_35079.png

77% of our users are ages 18-29 and 94% are male.

gallery_17235_652_12146.pnggallery_17235_652_7294.png

So, what does all this mean for 2012? I am happy to see that we are doing many things right. The one thing we need to do better is our investment in and content surrounding Call of Duty. Here is a preview of some of the things to expect in 2012:

• Sponsor a Call of Duty team
  • Create content/media for Call of Duty
  • Create content/media for Gears of War 3
  • Establish brand champions in all our divisions (SC2, LoL, CS, MMO, GoW , CoD, Halo, FIFA, Fighting)
  • Add more partners
  • Conduct two large donation drives
  • Explore opportunities in Halo:Reach
  • Explore opportunities in DotA 2
  • Explore opportunities in CS:GO
  • Add Guild Wars
  • Add Diablo 3
  • Continue Wednesday Night Starcraft, The Losers Bracket and Directional Influence
  • Continue promote bloggers and create general gaming content
  • Continue writing for Chicago Tribune Geek to Me Blog
  • Continue League of Legends 1v1 tournaments

I look forward to the hard work in 2012.

So, what does all this mean for 2012? I am happy to see that we are doing many things right. The one thing we need to do better is our investment in and content surrounding Call of Duty. Here is a preview of some of the things to expect in 2012:

• Sponsor a Call of Duty team
  • Create content/media for Call of Duty
  • Establish brand champions in all our divisions (SC2, LoL, CS, MMO, GoW , CoD, Halo, FIFA, Fighting)

I look forward to the hard work in 2012.

This has got me so excited I can not wait for the big things that vVv will do in 2012 :D

COD is relevant once more!!!

You would think that gears of war 3 would ask for more quality content since Call of Duty has a ton of youtubers. Guess people like it their cod fix. Good read and nice job with the graphs and information.

This has got me so excited I can not wait for the big things that vVv will do in 2012 :D

COD is relevant once more!!!

Haha! Awesome stuff. I agree.

Interesting, what kind of media would you like to see from a MLG Call of Duty player? I personally do have a channel and post often (not going to link unless a vVv moderator allows me to. What is most appealing to you when you watch Call Of Duty gameplay?

I have my head shoved so far up my PC's ass for gaming that I forget how strong vVv console players and following is.

100% Agree, also VERY excited for the new year, VERY excited for all of the new content.

You would think that gears of war 3 would ask for more quality content since Call of Duty has a ton of youtubers. Guess people like it their cod fix. Good read and nice job with the graphs and information.

Although there's a ton of CoD content, it's quality content that we need. Anyone can do some headshot montage or some little commentary where you talk about random stuff, but good actual content is what we need.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.