vVv LordJerith

An Open Letter to MLG

How can you "intelligently aruge" with someone with 0 experience in the subject of debate.

I'm assuming its another account of the same people who posted earlier, from the EU.

So I doubt you have ever been to an MLG event, so you have 0 grounds for any form of criticsm or input, since you have 0 experience on the subject matter, its very simple.

I cant believe how stupid you people are, there is no sense wasting time with your ridiculous responses when you have no merits to back up your arguments.

Once again, no one is "scared" or "hiding" we just dont care! No one does, its as simple as that, and if you cant see that, then you are some kind of stupid I must say. Your opinion is worthless, and your input is null, feel free to make another few accs and repost the same bullshit, people wont even waste the time reading because no one gives a fuck who you people are, get it now? I hope so.

Edited by vVv RoxsicK

There are some very interesting points, I have wondered myself why MLG decides to partner themselves with Doritos, Dr. Pepper and Hot Pockets when they could potentially seek better options...

I think everyone in the vVv community (or any gaming community) knows about prestige that MLG brings to the table when it comes to competitive gaming, however, everyone outside of the cliques and target audience (don't get me wrong, it's essential to have a target audience) don't know anything about MLG. I just think that MLG can be even bigger than it already is.

There is an absolute need for a spectating aspect for the events, I pay $300+ for plane tickets (since apparently MLG loves the East Coast, far away from my West Coast corner in San Diego), plus player pass and I end up sitting on the floor when I want to rest or watch something. I know Halo is MLG's main concern and they have a stage but I think they can definitely provide for more.

Just a few thoughts :)

I absolutely agree with Jerry's points on the necessity of coaching. While teams right now have managed to function without it, I firmly believe that competitive gaming will not move forward, at least on the team level, until coaches are the norm rather than the exception.

ha, I am not denying that you might agree with him. However, I don't. Well I say I don't. Perhaps I don't understand why you believe the coaches job to be so vital? In my opinion, the job is often over hyped/surplus to requirement and could easily be replaced by a clued up player or a manager who can cover several teams. I also don't see the necessity to have a match coach in gaming either. Team sports obviously need a coach but the way practice and such takes place on Xbl, I don't think it lends itself well to that kind of thing and the term coach in Halo 3 or Gears of War for example, normally just means a guy who can time stuff and increase communication.

Who were the Europeans who got banned?

ha, I am not denying that you might agree with him. However, I don't. Well I say I don't. Perhaps I don't understand why you believe the coaches job to be so vital? In my opinion, the job is often over hyped/surplus to requirement and could easily be replaced by a clued up player or a manager who can cover several teams. I also don't see the necessity to have a match coach in gaming either. Team sports obviously need a coach but the way practice and such takes place on Xbl, I don't think it lends itself well to that kind of thing and the term coach in Halo 3 or Gears of War for example, normally just means a guy who can time stuff and increase communication.

Who were the Europeans who got banned?

Well, why do you think almost all sports have coaches?

As far as who got banned, I don't know who they were, just trolling about how bad vVv is, etc, etc. Just not productive. I reviewed staff's decision to ban, tried to find something of value to reply to, but at the end I approved their decision to ban those pots (as well the replies from some of our members) as it was clearly getting off point.

Well, why do you think almost all sports have coaches?

As far as who got banned, I don't know who they were, just trolling about how bad vVv is, etc, etc. Just not productive. I reviewed staff's decision to ban, tried to find something of value to reply to, but at the end I approved their decision to ban those pots (as well the replies from some of our members) as it was clearly getting off point.

Coaching takes many forms in team sports from improving fitness, tactics, technique, mentality and so on, which is why I don't think it's particularly applicable to gaming.

Almost everyone who becomes a coach doesn't have the same in game knowledge and/or skill as the players within the team. The only truly worthwhile coach I have seen is when Killercrank stood up behind his own team after he died because he truly new the game and his team inside out and could still contribute after dying.

Edited by Mellow

Coaching takes many forms in team sports from improving fitness, tactics, technique, mentality and so on, which is why I don't think it's particularly applicable to gaming.

Almost everyone who becomes a coach doesn't have the same in game knowledge and/or skill as the players within the team. The only truly worthwhile coach I have seen is when Killercrank stood up behind his own team after he died because he truly new the game and his team inside out and could still contribute after dying.

Just because coaching in gaming is often done poorly, it does mean that it does not have value. I will agree that most coaches in competitive gaming are not trained and do not understand their role, but that does not mean good coaches can't be trained. I think with a proper definition of the role, training etc. . . coaching would become invaluable.

I agree with this point on coaching, because as much as I'd love to compare esports to traditional sports the role of a coach does not seem transfer. I think that a team manager with an extensive knowledge in the game would be much more beneficial than the type of coach at MLG that just times the power weapons etc. ,but I've never witnessed as well trained coach so that could prove more beneficial than both a subpar coach as well as a team manage.

Overall I this was obviously very well written and had a nice mix of constructive criticism as well as the solutions needed in order to fix and promote the growth of MLG.

Edited by Slim

Just because coaching in gaming is often done poorly, it does mean that it does not have value. I will agree that most coaches in competitive gaming are not trained and do not understand their role, but that does not mean good coaches can't be trained. I think with a proper definition of the role, training etc. . . coaching would become invaluable.

It depends on the kind of role you're expecting a coach to perform really.

It depends on the kind of role you're expecting a coach to perform really.

Well of course, it places the interpretation on the individual with the coach, allowing all the feedback and communication to Add to the individual not Make him. I played sports for a very long time, the sole purpose of coaches is to share their wisdom and outside perspective of things which complete a balance. I think it can be applied to gaming, maybe not the wisdom part (since a lot of coaches at MLG are near of age to the actual team) but they do offer the outside perspective that can accelerate growth in gamers.

If you keep a mindful aspect and listen, you'll only benefit!

While your at it, write him another letter, tell him to give Polira his money back, to reinstate Socom II On the ladders and make GB an independent site like I used to enjoy playing on.

Very good read though, the points made were direct and I think he'll enjoy reading them.

Jerry two words "Perfect & Insightful".

Even though it doesn't touch on Combines, which are and should be gone, it does touch base on most of the issues that MLG is currently having. I especially like how you mentioned the Live Streaming, and COACHING! Coaching definitely hasn't been getting the attention that it deserves.

Translate the benefits of competitive gaming to parents.

This is the major subject that many of the little ones can relate to, including me when I was interested in going to Events. Maybe this Open Letter will open the eyes of the Directors and Management of MLG to promote the gaming to not only more player but parents too.

I hope that they get back to you and they actually use some of this to improve the "MLG Experience".

Edited by vVv Hexticity