vVv Milkyy

Pro Gaming Tips: Why some gamers need to get a life!

Pro Gaming Tips: Why some gamers need to get a life!

by Dakota "Rapture" Lasky and Edited by Jordan "Doomhammer" Kahn

In the series of 'gamebreaker' articles we've had, so far we've learned about how bad habits and bad teammates can ruin your game. Now we get to a sensitive topic in today's article from vVv Gaming, about a "game breaker" that should be addressed in the most delicate terms...

Ah screw it. If you read the headline, you know what we're gonna talk about, namely how sometimes gamers need to put down the control pad, turn off the gaming console, get out of their basements and live in the real world!

In other words: Get a life!

(I'm just waiting for the hate mail on this one....)

When it comes to game breakers, nothing is bigger or more important than life, and I don't mean the Discovery Channel documentary. I'm talking about the things that get minimized so much that the player lives in a dark cave for months without contact with the outside world, and the ones that can get in the way of effective competitive gaming. In the end, it is all about finding balance.

Read more after the jump!

Having a life is crucial to being a gamer for exactly the reason that people accuse you of not having one in the first place! It's easy to imagine the players who shut themselves indoors and play games so long their eyes bleed, but in order for Competitive Gaming to become more mainstream and be accepted by society it's crucially important that the image of gamers change. Gamers need to be well rounded people with activities outside of video games (macho lumberjack beard optional), or parents will never feel comfortable with the thought of their precious Cub Scout being a competitive gamer. And for most of us it just sucks to be compared to those that lock themselves inside their "man caves" and chug energy drinks until their sweat is neon yellow and carbonated.

sml_gallery_8210_903_8640.jpg

"Who needs Hot Pockets when you've got Gamer Grub?"

Being a great gamer is great, but if that is all you are good at then you need a slap of sunshine in that pimply face of yours. Let's face it, pudgy over there who exercises less than he gets laid isn't that healthy, and when your body has Dr Pepper and Hot Pockets written all over it, you've got problems. It's not a good idea to devote your life completely to gaming. Not to say that you can't have a career as a developer, or you shouldn't attend tournaments frequently, but contrary to popular belief dropping out of school to play games competitively has never been a good idea, and likely won't ever be a good idea.

sml_gallery_8210_903_109721.jpg

"STRESSED?! I'M NOT STRESSED!"

But it's a fine line to walk because it's important to very carefully manage your life outside of gaming, since it's a huge factor in how you play competitively. If you're too occupied with the rest of your life it will get in the way of your competitive performance. This mainly stems from stress. Stress is such a big part of gaming that it can be the difference between a win and a loss, or even between winning a tournament and getting double-eliminated. A stressed player simply cannot focus, and the more a player gets stressed the less likely the player can calm down, focus and get the job done. Even simple things can permeate into one's competitive play. A simple argument with a friend, parent or dog who has left a present in the house can lead to a bottled up anger that is a distraction during a match.

sml_gallery_8210_903_30951.jpg

"One key to successful gaming is sleeping and eating right."

And it might also be things that a player isn't doing that can be a major issue. Forgetting to eat or eating wrong, or sleeping too much or not sleeping enough may not be a big deal to you at first, but when the game is on the line and you don't have enough energy to keep yourself at the best level of play, then whose fault is that? Eat those corn flakes, get to bed, and do whatever you have to do to keep those wins coming.

In the end, you must remember that it isn't the end of the world to lose a match, or to argue with a teammate, or to not get a reply from a gamer of the opposite gender that you played in a public match. Shit happens, that's the most basic concept in the world (other than, well, breathing, I guess). It's all about finding the right balance between real life and the virtual one.

sml_gallery_8210_903_23206.jpg

"I haven't seen the sun in a month!"

Even if you are truly enthralled with competitive gaming it is probably not the best idea to pass up some truly memorable outings with friends or family. Experiencing that is probably a better idea than sitting in front of the TV practicing some fancy technique. Find the right balance. Because once you've fallen into the cave of eternal darkness lit only by the LED lights of your replica Star Trek costume with matching captain's chair, then you'll be well and truly broken.

Edited by vVv Bizkit

Ahh yes! Closing yourself in and playing video games all day!  It is really important to get out and experience the outside world.  Typically I usually spend the weekdays at work for 8 hours, working out, then homework, and an hour or two of video games.  The weekends I try to get out most of Saturday and maybe Sunday, allowing the mornings and early afternoons to gaming.

I couldn't agree more, and I can sympathize.  When I was in the Army, I got a lot of flak for being a gamer, people often said things like, "oh so you have no life?" or things like that, but the truth is, I did, and it does help to not constantly be in front of the game screen, and I find that it makes the overall experience much more enjoyable when you do get to sit down and finally play a game for several hours, or all day.  I would only add that to your otherwise flawless article.  Great Job Man, no hate mail from me ^_^.

Cheers,

-Sel

good article indeed... and good for some gamers to read it over from time to time to remember them for what or why gaming can't be a life...
normal socializing is also important indeed and life outside is the best life can offer...

NeonYoda / i had a good lol with this but it is true i feel sorry for WoW players like myself that sometimes do this often and get no sleep nor food it could be a good game or an addiction 

Great read. I found this article not only informational but funny at some points because I can relate. I use to only focus on gaming and it hurt me in my life; I gained weight, got piss poor grades, and I lost the love of my life. But then I turned it all around by "getting a life" and now gaming is more balanced within my crazy, busy life that I now live!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Member Only vVv Shoutbox

Please enter your display name