Welcome to vVv Gaming

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• vVv Bagzli

We have moved to Discord   08/04/2016

There has been a strong desire among the community to migrate to Discord for quite some time. As of today, our community will be using Discord and as a result, we will no longer be actively using our TeamSpeak Server.  The TeamSpeak server will temporarily stay active to help inform all of our move to Discord. Within the next couple of months, it will be shut down completely.  For a quick invite to our new Discord server, you can click here.  
      For a full detailed guide visit http://www.vVv-Gaming.com/Discord
    • vVv Bagzli

New Supersonic Series Start Time   10/17/2016

We would like to thank everyone who participated in our recent survey regarding the start time of our tournaments.  After reviewing responses from the survey sent out to tournament participants we have decided to make changes to the start time of our events to try to better accommodate everyone.  Beginning on Monday, October 24th, all of our tournaments will start an hour earlier - at 8PM Eastern.  This means that registration will close at 7:30 EST, and that check-in starts at 7:30 EST and closes at 7:45 EST.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vVv Saturn

Pax South 2017 Round up

2 posts in this topic

A LOT of good games were on display this year. Plenty of quirky indie games that were good for a quick laugh or good to kill 20-30 minutes.

Nintendo made their presence known with their Switch booth having playable versions of their VERY expected Zelda: Breath of the Wild (which was AMAZING). They also brought with them ARMS, Splatoon 2, "1, 2, Switch", and the new Bomberman. 

Zelda was just short of breathtaking. The 15 minute demo allowed some room to explore the beautiful scenery, but not much else. It felt a lot like Skyrim, an open world to explore, and some quests with an accompanying mini map to keep you on course. The transistion from tv screen to handheld was seamless and had very little impact on performance. The performance of this game weighed pretty heavy on my decision to want to buy the Switch or not, and Breath of the Wild did not disappoint. But don't plan on finishing any temples on the road. The Switch was reported to have a battery life of 3-6 hours depending on the game. Members of the Switch crew told me that while playing Breath of the Wild, don't expect anything more than two and a half hours.

It was definitely worth the two hour wait to play it.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

ARMS, the new 2-player fighting game brings Wii-esque mechanics to the switch. Bagzli and I found ourselves throwing our controllers like drumsticks throwing punches at each other in a flurry of combos. It was confirmed to have 2-player online and split screen, but no confirmed single player offline mode (I'm thinking of a campaign mode similar to any Street Fighter). It nods to Pokken tournament, with the side sweeping camera motions in this 3D fighter, unlike traditional 2D stages.

1, 2, Switch was well, hilarious.

Never have I thought that milking a cow could become a competition, but I am now convinced. This mini-game simulatior was hilarious to watch others play and even better to stare another grown man in the eyes as we both "milk" the joycon controllers. If you haven't heard of this, I'll just let the video  explain. (It's a little longer, but it goes over every game included.)

It has been a long time since I've touched a Bomberman game, but this arena multiplayer was fun to pick up and blow up your friends with. The developers, Konami represented the game, but refused to comment on a single player mode however the only playable version was a local multiplayer. The only confirmed aspect of the game was online multiplayer mode. 

Stepping away from the Nintendo Switch booth, there were more areas to check out, and more games to play.

A cute puzzle platformer RiME was right next door. From Greybox and Tequila Works comes this adventure platformer filled with beautiful landscapes and intriguing puzzles (Bagzli couldn't solve the first one). This game refused to hold your hand in the basic mechanics and offered no help in the completion of puzzles and really forced you to look at the bigger picture rather than just what is in front of you, a refreshing change from hour long tutorials. After one of the more lengthy demos, my initial impressions are positive, 7/10. Beautiful artwork and challenging puzzles, but there was no sense of a plot. Why do I have to get to the next spot? Why can't I just enjoy the view from here? I hope to hear more about this game in the near future and learn more of the story elements.

Now, probably the least expected games I would find myself to be excited about was this one. Dauntless, a co-op monster hunter game looked like absolute perfection. Beautiful landscapes and terrifying monsters were only half of the enjoyment. The monsters, referred to as Behemoths, forced all four players to work as a team to take down. After an unfortunate crash on Bagzli's computer, our squad had to attempt to take it down with only the three remaining. We were unsuccessful in our attempt, but it was well worth the effort. Phoenix Labs, the creators, were amazing to talk to. They were all passionate about games in the Action-RPG, Monster Hunter style games (of which they all played). Their mission is to bring that same experience of working with a team of friends to slay giant beasts. They confirmed dedicated servers will be online, that players will have their own customizable character (straying away from a class based system), and that players will be able to forge all of the in-game items (no comment on microtransactions). Overall, this was my PAX South must play, and I'm very glad I was able to play. Look forward to more news about community events and development updates. Oh yeah, did I mention this game was going to be free to play.

My prediction is that the free to play model will include microtransactions for cosmetic items (skins, accessories, etc.) only, but even with that in mind sign up for future play tests now at: https://playdauntless.com/signup/

I give this game, demo and all a 9/10.

Other than game demos I was finally able to strap into some VR and play around. I'm not completely sold on the $800 plus price tag, however, the games out already had me jumping, slicing, and crouching for dear life for what seemed like hours. Board game/tabletop game fans would be, to put it simply, overwhelmed. Rows of indie developers had tables to demo their games and shops to raise your level +1. 

I hope I was able to give those who couldn't join us at PAX SOUTH a good picture of what there was to do, and more importantly some expected games in 2017.

To conclude PAX South is hard to do in a single sentence, but it was an amazing time to meet friends, play awesome games, and look to the future of what this passion can become.

Resized_20170128_205135001.jpeg

Current and former vVv family members at a post PAX dinner.

vVv Vall likes this

It sure was a blast, thank you for posting such an elaborate article.