Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  vVv Sun Down : (21 September 2014 - 11:55 PM) http://www.twitch.tv/vvvsundown/ Streaming some plat elo DuoQ with Kanark! come hangout!
@  Grits : (21 September 2014 - 11:17 PM) @vVv Viva I second this.
@  vVv Tahvvy : (21 September 2014 - 10:12 PM) sees cool exotic helmet from Xur. grinds for special coins. Gets to 12, 1 away from enough coins, goes to see hes not there. Now i got to wait until next weekend which is buns.
@  vVv Viva : (21 September 2014 - 10:03 PM) Are we never going to bring up how Mumble always lags. lol.
@  vVv Twitter : (21 September 2014 - 08:34 PM) Tweet(@vvv_gaming): Our Amateur Draft League is about to go live! Come hop into picks and bans with @7he_Doctor http://t.co/iI1ZHooI7L #LeagueOfLegends
@  vVv Toxicity : (21 September 2014 - 07:33 PM) This is probably a sign that i should not play this game
@  vVv Toxicity : (21 September 2014 - 07:31 PM) nope
@  vVv F R 0 o T x : (21 September 2014 - 07:28 PM) They have a phone number?
@  vVv Toxicity : (21 September 2014 - 07:27 PM) So where does that leave me?
@  vVv Toxicity : (21 September 2014 - 07:27 PM) You cant access trion support without being a patron, but the site will not process my payment to become a patron
@  vVv Toxicity : (21 September 2014 - 07:26 PM) Sooooooooooooooo
@  vVv F R 0 o T x : (21 September 2014 - 07:22 PM) :gamer2:
@  rollergo11 : (21 September 2014 - 07:00 PM) PC is > all, BUT. Games are games, and fellow gamers should be treated as such. Gamers. ;D
@  vVv F R 0 o T x : (21 September 2014 - 06:40 PM) PC >
@  vVv Phryme : (21 September 2014 - 06:24 PM) all about that XB1 :P
@  vVv Phryme : (21 September 2014 - 06:24 PM) nobody here really has a 360 anymore
@  iPhaNaTix : (21 September 2014 - 05:55 PM) Any 8s going on 360 ghosts?
@  vVv Optimize : (21 September 2014 - 05:19 PM) Some CoD Division GFX I made http://www.vvv-gamin...vision-members/
@  vVv Jesta : (21 September 2014 - 05:03 PM) @vVv Firewater already got it preordered
@  vVv Optimize : (21 September 2014 - 04:58 PM) @vVv FireWater Mayb

Photo

Bunker Builds - Guardian

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Revok (former vVv)

Revok (former vVv)

• 94 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Guardian

Bunker/Support Builds

Posted Image

How's it goin everyone!

Since i've been playing heavy defensive builds for guardian and warrior since the first beta weekend event. I figured it was time to share some of the awesome builds i've encountered and had the chance to play. Since my GS warrior guide is going to be covered in a video i thought it only right to make a written guide as well. My warrior guide is due to be released tuesday if all goes well with finishing editing and gaining a few more clips. With that being said let's get into it!

What is a bunker build and why do i keep hearing the term "bunker"?
A bunker build is someone who builds heavily into defensive trees with their profession. It can range from bunker necromancers to the more used guardian/warrior builds. Hell you'll even see bunker eles.... so get used to hearing the term. Bunker build professions are mostly used to hold nodes in tournaments and sPvP until your team can come back and defend the node you were keeping controlled.

Why should i play a bunker guardian?
Most people frown on the healthpool of the guardian.. but you need to try and not focus so much on the low healthpool and focus more on that crazy amount of utility they have. With the insane amount of toughness/retaliation for those high DPS professions to take the pressure off and the insane amount of condition removal for condition professions and also the crazy amount of team support you can provide while playing a bunker build guardian. It's an extremely popular build in the competitive PvP scene and you're gonna see it everywhere.

Builds

Pubstomping 2 hander / Mace - Shield:
http://gw2skills.net...SOkkIt2YAxOkJGA

Description:
This build is aimed more at pubstomping/solo q'ing in sPvP hence the ogre runes and bloodlust sigil. This build can be used in tournaments but if you intend on using it i recommend swapping the ogre runes for earth or soldier runes for increased toughness. The amount of heals generated in this build give you enough self sustain and condition removal with meditations and the damage with mighty blow on a reduced cooldown gives a good amount of cleave damage on a node. With this build you do have 2 knock backs with one coming from your 2 handed maces and the second coming from your #5 skill with shield. you also have 2 stun breakers with comtemplation of purity and stand your ground plus significant condition removal with COP and absolute resolution in your traits. Retaliation from stand your ground gives heavy melee a huge thing to worry about when attacking you and also gives you the stability to stomp in the heat of the fight without having to worry about incoming cc.

1H Sword/Shield - Scepter/Focus:
http://gw2skills.net...Oudk7swYgxOkZIA

Description:
This build for me i went a little bit more offensive to provide some steady DPS for my team while maintaining my support role. Lets face it scepter damage is fast and it does a ton of damage for a one handed weapon. With the buff they made to smite it is also a good AOE to put on a node for cleave damage to support your team. I chose earth runes for my defensive stats to give me a little bit more toughness and the 5% chance to pop protection. This build has a significant loss in healthpool due to running soldiers amulet with beserkers jewel. But with right handed strength you are pushing 35% chance to crit and if you went for ogre runes you could also get to about 40% chance to crit while maintaining a support role.

while it isn't as beefy i enjoy playing this build the most as shield of wrath blocks a great amount of damage while being able to put out sustained DPS with scepter with a decent amount of burn damage. Scepter also has good chase value with chains of light as well as being able to swap to sword for flashing blade and zealots defense. I know i can get a zealots to hit for roughly 4000 - 4400 on a light to medium armor target. This is a good build to switch to if you're facing a more condition based team as i went for save yourselves for the support capability in team fights. But as always with Save Yourselves you have to be wary on if there is a necro around because corrupt boon can change the tide of the fight on you in a second. Almost every necro will be running corrupt boon. If you want you can swap out sword for mace and adjust accordingly to your preferences.

More builds will be added over the course of the next few days.

EDIT: Accidently chose the instant meditations down the valor tree. I suggest going with honorable shield. Sorry for the confusion.

Signet of Resolve vs Shelter:

I see a lot of guardians still running shelter and i ask myself why? I get that you are drawn to the 2 seconds of blocking but you are also only getting half a heal as well. With Signet of Resolve you are getting a condition removal every 10 seconds and a full heal. so this means if you are taking a substantial amount of damage... you pop your condition removals for regen and hit your heal for a full heal and get back on the defensive. 2 seconds of blocking is just not worth it in my eyes to only get half the health back. While for other clases that go for things that like that (IE sword pistol mesmers with blurred frenzy) your job is to keep conditions off you and your team at all costs. You need to be open to the fact that guardian is a tanky support role and is meant to be played that way. And just losing the condition removal and a full heal over 2 seconds of blocking is just not worth it to me.

I hope this guide shines some light on bunker guardians for some of you and gives you the urge to try and learn how to play one. I know some of the guardian skill sets can have a medium to high skill cap when chained together properly and i wouldn't recommend this for any beginner player. Node holding is a key role in tournament style play and can change the whole course of the game. So i would advise only playing the role when you feel comfortable that you can perform it.

This guide is a work in progress and will be updated when new builds are found or game mechanics are adjusted by Arena-net after patching.

If you have any builds to suggest or comments feel free to post them below for discussion.

- Re - VOK. =P

Edited by RevokUS, 24 September 2012 - 11:18 AM.

Posted Image

#2 CODEHX

CODEHX

I need to post more

• 67 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

Waiting for more weapon combos because I love using the 2h just wondering if I could use that against and I use the sceptor and shield because of its one of the most ranged weapons for guardian and the shield just for extra protection/defense..

Posted Image

WE ARE NOT DISMAYED BY THE DARKNESS THAT SURROUNDS US HERE BECAUSE WE KNOW THAT WHEN ALL HELL CLOSES IN

IF WE STAND AND FIGHT; WE ARE NOT ALONE. WE ARE FEARLESS

#3 Revok (former vVv)

Revok (former vVv)

• 94 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

Weapon sets are more of a preference and with bunker builds you have more options for that. I just use mace and shield because it's what i feel comfortable using and i use it for more support in team fights with the regen and and the protection . Scepter and shield is obviously viable and if you feel better off using that. Then i would say go for it.

Posted Image

#4 CODEHX

CODEHX

I need to post more

• 67 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

If you strongly recommend shield, I would probably go 2h for mobility and 1v1's and dmg then go sword and shield for team fights.

Posted Image

WE ARE NOT DISMAYED BY THE DARKNESS THAT SURROUNDS US HERE BECAUSE WE KNOW THAT WHEN ALL HELL CLOSES IN

#5 Revok (former vVv)

Revok (former vVv)

• 94 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:06 AM

The 2 handed mace / mace - shield combo is a heavy bunker build. When i'm running tournies i usually run this build to just outlast with regen and the protection buffs you get and not worried so much about the increased damage output that 1H sword can give you. But yeah it's viable to do that. I guess it just boils down on how your playstyle fits into it.

Posted Image

#6 CODEHX

CODEHX

I need to post more

• 67 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

Thumbs up to this build. Using the 2h / Scep/Shield and its amazing!! Watch out enemys, I have the upper hand now!

Posted Image

#7 Revok (former vVv)

Revok (former vVv)

• 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

Told you it was fun. the almost 100% uptime for retal lets them kill themselves. Haha

Posted Image

#8 Aelyn

Aelyn

I need to post more!

• 17 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

Yea, I see what you were saying online last night, this looks great but I don't have a Guardian yet to try it on.

Can't wait to see your thoughts on the warrior!

#9 Sargon

Sargon

Active Forum Contributor

• 111 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

On Shelter vs Signet of Resolve. If traited for Blocks granting might, DPS based builds benefit from the 15-20 stacks of free might during the block. Otherwise Signet of Resolve outclasses Shelter in almost every way especially if traited for 20% reduced Signet CDs it runs on a 32 second CD for about an 8-9k heal while Shelter runs on 30 sec CD and heals for 5k-ish.

#10 Revok (former vVv)

Revok (former vVv)

• 94 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

Very good point Sargon.

Posted Image

#11 Defyiant

Defyiant

Active Forum Contributor

• 339 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Exactly Sargon I only use signet of resolve and love using the reduced cooldowns for signets. I always trait at least 10 in radiance for signet mastery and Blind Exposure if I'm using a sword.

Posted Image Defyiant

Posted Image @NoFaithNGod

#12 vVv Stormie

vVv Stormie

Guild Wars 2

• MMO
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

critique my bunker guardian build, I am more partial to using sword shield for the blind and a little more damage but I have been told mace shield is the only way to go. I just came up with the build yesterday. Let me know what you think.

http://gw2skills.net...GrNObk2s2YEyOEA

Follow me on Twitter @vVvStormie

#13 Sargon

Sargon

Active Forum Contributor

• 111 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

critique my bunker guardian build, I am more partial to using sword shield for the blind and a little more damage but I have been told mace shield is the only way to go. I just came up with the build yesterday. Let me know what you think.

http://gw2skills.net...GrNObk2s2YEyOEA

Altruistic Healing is only really good if your able to put out boons like a mad man, The heal is about 75-100 per boon If your wanting to be a support role and supplying those boons I would suggest using the staff. Resolute Healer as it currently stands is technically bugged, it doesn't knock back enemies but it does create a dome that projectiles cannot go through. As for the Ammy/Jewel I would go for soldiers instead vitality and toughness are your friend precision is a stat that won't be missed in a bunker build.I would swap out the Sigil of Sup water for Sigil of Bloodlust The damage increase as it stacks up is hugely noticeable. As for runes dolyak is an interesting choice but not a bad one.

Finally for the Sword vs. Mace argument the Mace is bugged which is the only reason it is remotely viable at this point. The mace was intended to block one ability and grant protection in the area around you. However if you cast the block and attack right after it block 4-5 attacks IIRC (Will retest this later). As for the sword you don't gain the ability to apply regen or prot, but you gain a blind and tele-port which is infinitely more useful in point control/defense. When playing a bunker your mentality should always be if you lose the point you've failed. The fact that it only takes 4-5 seconds to neutralize a point means eating one hard CC off the point can lead to it being neutral, using the Sword Flashing Blade ability you can get right back on the point.

Just my 2 sense I've had bunker vs bunker many times and have never lost my point with the sword vs. a mace using guardian. In fact Majority of the time I can cap the point against them.

#14 vVv Stormie

vVv Stormie

Guild Wars 2

• MMO
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

I made a few modifications, I agree with your argument about the sword. I will try it out when I get home from work. Thanks for the advice.
http://gw2skills.net...GrNObk2sgYEyOEA

Follow me on Twitter @vVvStormie

#15 Revok (former vVv)

Revok (former vVv)

• 94 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Gonna be updating this within the next few days with some more builds i've been playing.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!