Valius

Do you think GW2 is pay-to-win?

I've read numerous amounts of posts on GW2Guru about people complaining that GW2 is pay-to-win in WvW and it's not free to play because of that.

My argument is that people need to just relax, and play the game for fun rather than caring whether or not the other team bought a bunch of gems and spent them on WvW blueprints. I won't be spending a whole lot of time in WvW, but it sounds to me like people are really angered with this.

It's understandable, but it's kind of like..stop worrying about everyone else and just enjoy the game. Have fun instead of being scared because the opposing world has a 10% increased damage buff with their arrow carts.

Thoughts?

I understand their thoughts, for those people who are going to focus on WvW it really does come down to who has more siege weapons. Being able to get more far easier with real money may cause problems they need to be bought with like the pvp currency not money.

Best as I've seen it's pay for looking good (cosmetics) or pay for spending less time in game for same reward (xp + renow/favor(whatever it was) boosts).

Now, if it is possible to get more siege weapons using bought currency, I can see that being an issue. Good thing I'm much more into PvE than PvP.

I don't agree with games that you can pay and be better that somebody that didn't pay.

Paying for gems in GW2 isn't paying to be better. Yes, you may get a buff (from what I have heard..never had it), but also know that you most likely will have that same buff, so does it really matter? I just don't see how it's that bad.

I kinda doubt they will allow stuff like that in anything that actually matters like tournaments. Just playing with a bunch of randoms who cares if someone is a bit stronger it's not like it matters a whole lot if you win.

In WvW, maybe you could see it. But it would take an absurd amount of money to upkeep. Even then you give a 10% advantage to noobs, they are still going to lose.

I understand their thoughts, for those people who are going to focus on WvW it really does come down to who has more siege weapons. Being able to get more far easier with real money may cause problems they need to be bought with like the pvp currency not money.

I would disagree, this debate came up a ton in DAoC esp with Relic Raids.

What wins/loses WvW will be 1. Organization, 2. Coordination, 3. Active players throughout the week

Not how much seige you have.

If you are noticably more organized/coordinated than your enemies, you can easily overpower seige/develope tactics to ignore it.

There are many abilities in the game to deal with projectiles and many tactics from other games that transfer direclty over that can help.

I would highly suggest looking up WAR, DAOC RvR and taking notes.

I listened to Bridger from Team Legacy break it down on his podcast. Basically, there's no advantage unless you spend upwards of thousands of dollars on gems, etc. I don't foresee this happening.

I kinda doubt they will allow stuff like that in anything that actually matters like tournaments. Just playing with a bunch of randoms who cares if someone is a bit stronger it's not like it matters a whole lot if you win.

That's why I said WvW. In sPvP that would never happen.

Edited by vVv Valius

I really dont think GW2 is Pay-2-Win.

All the items that are there avaiable dont make a competitive diference.

You can lvl up faster and get some better skinned items. but ultimately, is playing that makes u good. is how you play with your team mates, how u position yourself and when to use your skills.

I dont see "payers" getting much difference in competivity.

From what I've read everything item related is cosmetic and is there to look good. I think people are more concerned with the karma, exp boosters. I didn't read how much exp the boosters give (probably double) but it only lasts 1 hour. That isn't a very long time, probably enough for one level or half a level if your like 75. Point being, your going to need to spend a lot to get effectively use the boosters, they aren't cheap either in comparison to how much you need.

Watch This, it will explain everything.

*edit - the start might not seem like it, but it gets to how it won't be pay2win.

Great video... It really explains a lot of stuff in the economy...

I don't think there's anything to be really concerned about on this front. As has been pointed out, WvW is about a lot more than who has a few extra siege weapons. Besides, both teams have the same access to the gem store.

Also, the teams are huge, so the feeling of one player being inferior to another will be very minor if it exists at all.