Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Blewpanda : (26 November 2014 - 06:43 PM) jeremy kyle is the shit man
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 06:40 PM) @vVv C Wide Just about to stream HBU??!!?!?
@  vVv C Wide : (26 November 2014 - 06:40 PM) What's up everyone!
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 06:33 PM) @vVv Daviepants hey!!
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 06:33 PM) @davie
@  vVv Daviepants : (26 November 2014 - 06:30 PM) LOL Cam I just saw you favorited my tweet...effing hetero bastard :grumpycat:
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 06:27 PM) I'm about to go live soon, just updating my widgets
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 06:26 PM) are any mods online currently?
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 06:17 PM) okay :)
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 06:17 PM) ah
@  vVv Sun Down : (26 November 2014 - 05:36 PM) one of the mods has to add it in
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 05:34 PM) I fixed my stream now, but I was just being curious :D
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 05:34 PM) @vVv Sun Down I was wondering how I get on the live stream list for vvv?
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 05:34 PM) @vVv Sun Down
@  vVv Sun Down : (26 November 2014 - 05:26 PM) What stream issues?
@  vVv keykat : (26 November 2014 - 05:26 PM) #PAXHYPE!
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 04:52 PM) much appreciated <3
@  Humanity : (26 November 2014 - 04:52 PM) @vVv SugarBear @vVv Daviepants @vVv Medusa @vVv Bizkit @vVv Ranko mind helping me with some stream issues I'm having before I go live?
@  vVv Ranko : (26 November 2014 - 04:10 PM) Indeed
@  vVv Bizkit : (26 November 2014 - 04:08 PM) ooooooo yyaaa

Photo

The Hunt: An Adaptive Ranger Guide [v.BWE3]

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Seiryss

Seiryss

Forum Commando

• 722 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

Posted Image

v.BWE3

And they never check or falter
For they never miss their kill;
Seasons change and systems alter,
But the hunt is running still.

Hello and welcome to vVv Seiryss’ Guild Wars 2 Ranger Guide! Over the course of a few beta weekends, Rangers have seen many changes to their profession – from traits to pet AI. Going forward, as the game inevitably evolves, so will this guide. So be sure to check back often for updates!

The goal of this guide is to provide players with a detailed “one stop shop” source of information ranging from fundamentals to more in-depth analysis and application. Here you will find a basic overview of the profession, Ranger news, a collection of media resources, and a forum that shares a variety of builds – all of which speak to different playstyles and roles.

MENU

(Click on a link to visit that section of the guide!)

NEWS

Change Log & Current Issues

This is a summary of recent changes and/or current issues relevant to the Ranger profession and will be updated regularly.

Pertinent news that may affect Rangers will also be featured here.

OVERVIEW
Introduction to the Ranger
Ranger Pros2

Ranger Cons

WEAPONS

Longbow

Greatsword

Shortbow

Main Hand Axe

Off Hand Axe

Sword

Dagger

Torch

Warhorn

Aquatic: Harpoon Gun

Aquatic: Spear

SKILLS

Utilities

Healing

Elites

PET MANAGEMENT

Pet Directory

Owner’s Manual

BUILDS & THEORY

Condition Damage / Spirit Support Ranger

Direct Damage/Survival Hybrid

MEDIA & RESOURCES

Videos

Posted Image

Change Log & Current Issues
[updated as of July 22, 2012]

General Ranger:
  • Utilities – Rangers are still currently missing 3 Utility skills. Popular speculation: These are likely to be Shouts.
Marksmanship:
  • Eagle Eye is changed from 5% longer range to 5% increased longbow damage and 5% longer range.
  • Spotter: Applies +70 Precision to nearby allies
Skirmishing:Wilderness Survival:
  • Offhand Training is changed from Offhand skills have a longer range to Offhand skills recharge 20% faster and have a longer range.
Nature Magic:
  • Evasive Purity is changed from removing a condition from yourself and allies when you dodge roll, to Dodging removes Blind and Poison from you.
Beast Mastery:
  • Shout Mastery: Rangers currently have no Shouts, will likely be designed for launch.
Pets:
  • “Since the last BWE we’ve improved Pet AI, and we’ve also rebalanced a lot of the pets. Their damage should be higher than before, due to the AI changes, and a lot of them had slight tweaks to their defensive stats as well! This means we had to rebalance some ranger skills to account for the fact that their pets work now. Also, there were a number of bugs that had ranger pets stop attacking. We think we have addressed them all now.” (source)
<-Back to Menu

Posted Image

Introduction to the Ranger

The ranger is a jack-of-all-trades and a master of them all as well, relying on his
keen eye, steady hand, or the power of nature itself.

The Guild Wars 2 Ranger is an adventure profession, suited in medium armor and equipped with a variety of melee and long range offense, traps, signets, and spirits. In previous MMOs, the Ranger class was known for ranged combat, particularly his proficiency with bows or guns. In Guild Wars 2, weapon selection for the Ranger is diverse and electing to wield a melee weapon over a ranged weapon does not necessarily translate into “better” or “worse.” This allows the player more freedom when choosing weapons and adapting to different situations. Another traditionally distinguishing feature of the Ranger is his pet companion. The Ranger pet is an ally that can be used offensively and defensively – the variety of pet species a player can choose is vast, and each one brings its own set of unique abilities to the table. Rangers possess control utilities, the potential for unparalleled healing to allies, and the versatility to fill different PvP roles.

Ranger Pros
  • Robust support potential when traited
  • Potent direct or condition damage in certain builds
  • Signets and Spirits offer great utility
  • Long range
  • Crowd control
  • Powerful Lick Wounds ability in the Downed State
  • Mobility (passive movement speed increase, boons, etc.)
  • Pets: offensive/defensive utility, some pets can heal, dispel or chill. Some pets can apply conditions.
Ranger Cons
  • Currently Rangers are generally underrepresented in the community and in game.
  • Ranger overall damage (excl. pet damage) is lower in comparison to other professions. Anet has said this is due to balancing to account for pet damage.
  • Lacking in AoE damage abilities
  • Long range combat can require finesse when dealing with LOS issues and terrain obstructions.
  • Pets: if you don’t enjoy micro-managing more than just yourself, pets will likely not be ‘your thing.’ Currently you can only control one of your pet’s abilities, its “special.”
<-Back to Menu

Posted Image

In Guild Wars 2, Rangers have a variety of weapons at their disposal. Each weapon (and each weapon combination) has a unique set of abilities. Update: I’ve added some ability discussion to each skill – I have not had a chance to experiment with every weapon available yet but I will update as I do.

For more details on each weapon skill, click on its name to open up the GW2 Wiki page.

Longbow
Spoiler

Greatsword
Spoiler

Shortbow
Spoiler

Main Hand Axe
Spoiler

Off Hand Axe
Spoiler

Main Hand Sword

Spoiler

Off Hand Dagger
Spoiler

Torch
Spoiler

Warhorn
Spoiler

Aquatic: Harpoon Gun

Splinter Shot
Coral Shot
Feeding Frenzy
Mercy Shot
Ink Blast

Aquatic: Spear

Stab -> Jab -> Evasive Strike
Swirling Strike
Dart
Counter Strike
Man O’ War

<-Back to Menu

Posted Image

The Ranger is equipped with a vast arsenal of utility skills. These abilities are divided into 4 categories: Survival, Signets, Traps and Spirits. Also note that there may be a 5th category at release, speculatively, Shouts. Below you will find a listing of these utilities. For more details, click on their skill names to open up the corresponding GW2 Wiki page.

UTILITIES

Survival:
Spoiler

Signets:
Spoiler

Traps:
Spoiler

Spirits:
Spoiler

HEALING
Spoiler

ELITES
Spoiler

<-Back to Menu

Posted Image

PET DIRECTORY

Here you’ll find a listing of Ranger Pets divided into 3 categories: Terrestrial (land only), Amphibious (land and water), and Aquatic (water only). Below, the Pets are sorted according to their ‘family’ and Special ability. For more information the pets, click on it’s name to bring up its detailed GW2 Wiki page.

Terrestrial Pets
Spoiler

Amphibious Pets
Spoiler

Aquatic Pets
Spoiler

<-Back to Menu

OWNER'S MANUAL

Welcome to the section all about how to manage your pets as a Ranger. This Owner’s Manual will cover a variety of information including FAQs and Tips & Tricks. Check back soon for more information as Pet AI will inevitably (fingers crossed) go through some changes as the game progresses.

Pet FAQs:

Q: Pets. How do I get them?
A: Around the world environment, you can encounter the Juvenile form on a pet species. When you are within range, you can Charm the animal by hitting F. Charming an animal unlocks that species in your Pet Management window.

Q: What is a species and what is a family?
A: A pet family is the “group” that animal belongs to. Such as, Bear. Its Species is its type within that family – such as a Polar Bear, or Black Bear. Each family has three basic skills that are consistent, however the species of the animal determines the special skill.

Q: How many pets can a Ranger have?
A: Rangers can charm any number of the pets available in Tyria. However, they have only 3 slots for pets that “accompany” the Ranger. Two slots are pets available for land combat and 1 slots are pets available when fighting underwater. You can only have 1 Active Pet – meaning, only 1 pet out fighting with you at a time. You can also swap between Pets.

Q: How long is the Pet Swap cooldown?
A: In combat Pet swap is 20s, out of combat is pretty much instant. If your pet is dead, you can swap it out for another pet but the cooldown to swap back is 40s.

Q: How do I rename my pet?
A: Open the Pet Management Window [K] and click on the Quill icon.

Q: Do pets go into a downed state?
A: No. Pets only enter a defeated state and need to be revived or swapped out. If you are defeated and revive at a Waypoint, your pet will automatically revive there too.

Q: Which of my Pet’s abilities can I control?
A: You can only control one of your Pet’s abilities, it’s Special skill. You can also send your pet in to Attack, set it’s aggressiveness, and Stow it.

Q: Do my pets get new skills as I level?
A: No. Pets in GW2 do not evolve as you level. Their abilities are fixed based on their family and species.

Tricks & Tips:

Coming soon…

<-Back to Menu

Posted Image

Condition Damage/Spirit Support Ranger
Spoiler

<-Back to Menu

Direct Damage/Survival Hybrid
Spoiler

<-Back to Menu

Posted Image

VIDEOS

vVv Seiryss BWE3 Ranger PvP

WEBSITES

Build Tools:
www.gw2builds.org/
http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/
http://www.gw2build....s/simulator.php

Databases & Forums:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com
www.guildwars2guru.com
http://guildwars2ranger.com
http://www.guildwars2-pets.com/

<-Back to Menu

[1] The Old Huntsman by Arthur Conan Doyle
[2] Pros & Cons inspired by vVv Sleepy
[3] www.guildwars2.comid

Edited by vVv RobZGod, 11 August 2012 - 03:12 AM.

#2 Valius

Valius

I rule the forums!

• 848 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

Great guide. Well put together.

I'm sure many could learn from it.

#3 Slashiroth

Slashiroth

Lurker

• 80 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

The profession I'm going to PvE on is going to be a ranger, this is a great guide to have so I don't have to go running around looking for everything. It's right here :)

Good job Sieryss!

Posted Image

#4 vVv Starman

vVv Starman

<Insert Member Title Here>

• MMO
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:28 AM

Whoa, in-depth. I love it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Tell me which sig you like better!
"Dude, suckin' at something is the 1st step towards being sorta good a something." - Jake the Dog

#5 vVv Pherzghul

vVv Pherzghul

Lead Graphic Designer

• Graphic Designer
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Tons of good info, awesome job on the guide :]

Posted Image

Signature masterpiece created by Vultige

-----Did I rustle your jimmies? Click here-----

#6 cwalk

cwalk

Active Forum Contributor

• 407 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

good job, this is top notch

I went ahead and threw a link to this on gw2guru.com hope you don't mind

http://www.guildwars...er-guide-vbwe3/

Edited by vVv cwalk, 26 July 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#7 cwalk

cwalk

Active Forum Contributor

• 407 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

just noticed cripple talon the 2nd dagger skill in your guide says it poisons and cripples, but on your link it says bleed

#8 Defyiant

Defyiant

Active Forum Contributor

• 339 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Lovely guide very in depth

Posted Image Defyiant

Posted Image @NoFaithNGod

#9 vVv RobZGod

vVv RobZGod

vVv Historian

• Executives
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

good job, this is top notch

I went ahead and threw a link to this on gw2guru.com hope you don't mind

http://www.guildwars...er-guide-vbwe3/

Cwalk, timing is very important. When you make a post about a guide be sure that the video she made with the guide has been uploaded on the official vVvGamingTV channel and is imbedded in her initial post. The goal is to get people who view the guide to watch the video as well, so make sure if you link to something on an external website everything is in order with the video.

:robzcorgi: 

President, vVv Gaming | @vVv_RobZGod 

#10 cwalk

cwalk

Active Forum Contributor

• 407 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

kk, the guide that I posted is not a copy of the guild it is a link to the page

#11 Seiryss

Seiryss

Forum Commando

• 722 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

I'm currently working on updating this to include more discussion on abilities, traits and builds. I will also be finishing off the Pets section and adding to the Media. You'll notice some additions to the Weapon Skills section so far. I appreciate the feedback from those who stopped by, and will do my best to improve the information you find here.

Please feel free to make suggestions and check back again soon!

Thank you for your time.

#12 Guttzu

Guttzu

Active Forum Contributor

• 269 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Just had to outdo me... Damn you devil woman :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!