Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  vVv Daviepants : (21 August 2014 - 02:20 PM) @Chevy I know it's like 40 mins after you asked that but I don't see him on right now. I would just shoot him a PM if you have to ask him something, he's good at replying back
@  Chevy : (21 August 2014 - 01:41 PM) Hey guys is Surgarbear here?
@  vVv Vall : (21 August 2014 - 01:28 PM) wow my computer is fially workable :D
@  thePwnetrator : (21 August 2014 - 01:19 PM) haha
@  Hinao : (21 August 2014 - 01:12 PM) Yay more gaming drama :D
@  thePwnetrator : (21 August 2014 - 12:42 PM) Willy - i don't see anything from you on skype my dude...
@  thePwnetrator : (21 August 2014 - 12:38 PM) ok gimme a minute, tell deadaim i'm also in his chat
@  thePwnetrator : (21 August 2014 - 12:38 PM) i can get you direct access with ToS ;]
@  vVv Phryme : (21 August 2014 - 12:37 PM) add me on skype and we'll get you in the group chat
@  vVv Phryme : (21 August 2014 - 12:37 PM) im waiting on etrade pro before i get trading again
@  vVv Phryme : (21 August 2014 - 12:37 PM) all good man
@  thePwnetrator : (21 August 2014 - 12:36 PM) i'll get your stream up tho Deadaim
@  thePwnetrator : (21 August 2014 - 12:36 PM) word. i may be playing wagers in a bit. trading day isn't over just yet so i'm still working ;]
@  vVv Phryme : (21 August 2014 - 12:23 PM) pwnetrator: im sending you my skype
@  vVv Deadaim : (21 August 2014 - 12:22 PM) yo you gunna get on soon so we can run 4s?
@  vVv Phryme : (21 August 2014 - 12:22 PM) http://www.twitch.tv/deadaim_ii playing one more 3v3 GB then we have a 3v3 tourney :D
@  thePwnetrator : (21 August 2014 - 12:19 PM) nice
@  vVv Phryme : (21 August 2014 - 12:07 PM) 51st on TL on gamebattles? SLIGHT. #moneyteam
@  vVv Deadaim : (21 August 2014 - 12:04 PM) just 2-0 the 51st GB tl team
@  vVv Vall : (21 August 2014 - 12:02 PM) gm

Photo

If you only knew. . .

vvv gaming vvv staff 2012

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 vVv LordJerith

vVv LordJerith

Co-Owner

• Executives
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

If you only knew. . .

the changes that were coming down the pipeline. For the past 100 or so episodes of The Loser's Bracket podcast, we have talked about the evolution of eSports and our ever growing role in its development. As you all know, after MLG Columbus, we started a serious crackdown on social media use, dropping many members, and moving many into the community gamer group.

After that, we had to take a close look at where we were and where eSports was headed. When we took a look at the numbers, we realized that we had been too nice. We had let things linger. I was reminded of the 2008 Darren Aronofsky film, The Wrestler. In this film, Rourke plays an aging professional wrestler who continues to wrestle matches in an attempt to cling on to his 1980s heyday despite his failing health. If you haven't seen it, I can't recommend it enough.

Let me show the Top XBox titles played for the week of April 9th taken from Major Nelson's Blog
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • FIFA 12
  • Battlefield 3
  • Halo: Reach
  • Modern Warfare 2
  • Skyrim
  • Gears of War 3
  • NBA 2K12
  • Mass Effect 3
As we looked at this, we realized that we had to make some tough decisions. The first thing we decided was that we would only have formal divisions in games that were at a major event like (MLG, IPL, NASL, IEM, etc).

We decided to take all non-sponsored players (no effect on sponsored players) for all games that were not at a major events and put them in the Community Gamer group. We needed to lose the distinction between Halo/Gears/CoD/Rhythm Gaming groups and merge them into a more diverse Community Gamer Group. We want our community gamers to be a diverse group. We chose red as their color to reflect that community gamers were our blood, our beginning and what makes vVv Gaming so special.

This change makes it easier to manage and better align our efforts with the titles that actually are at major events and have the kind of developer support needed for success as an eSport.

With that, some of you saw our non-sponsored Halo players basically revolt, force us to take down the shoutbox 3 times, and then resign. I was very disappointed with the behavior of one person in particular, and he has been banned. We take the chain of command very seriously, and the shoutbox is not the place to fight. Sadly, he could not separate the critique of his game, Halo, from the critique of himself. We always respect the person in vVv Gaming, but we CAN attack the game someone loves while still respecting the person. Hate the game, not the gamer. If your game gets attacked, don't make it personal. Period.

I can promise you that if any of those games listed above end up at a major event, we will gladly give them their own group. Please know that all our sponsored players still keep their user group. Until then, I want everyone to know our priorities:
  • Starcraft 2
  • League of Legends
  • Mortal Kombat 9/Soul Caliber V/King of Fighters XIII
  • Diablo 3 (release May 15th)
  • Guild Wars 2 (release June 26th est.)
  • Halo Reach/Halo 4 (release November 6th)
  • Call of Duty MW3/Call of Duty Black Ops 2 (we will know the release date on 5/2/2012)
  • DotA2?
  • Counter Strike: Go?
  • Possible Rhythm Gaming revival?
That's all we can predict right now.

As far as sponsorships, we are now offering two kind of sponsorships: Professional and Content.

Professional sponsorships are awarded to our best players who are working to be professional gamers. This covers all of our current sponsorships.
Content sponsorships are our community players who are working to become professional content producers.

I also want to talk about staff. As you know, they work very hard. We recently have gone through some staff changes as well. All were due to burnout or staffers getting busy with balancing life and their duties on staff, so expect to see some new faces. We have seen so much interest in vVv Gaming that I am excited to get some fresh blood and fresh ideas onto our staff.

I want to wish both Voison and Slauney good luck, as they both need to attend to other parts of their life. They will both remain vVv members, but their time on staff, for now, has come to an end. Thank you both for all your hard work.

I want to cover everyone's roles so you know what they do:
Executives
vVv LordJerith (President/Owner)
vVv Doomhammer (Senior Vice President)

Administrators
vVv Brock (Vice President of Visual Media)
vVv Paradise (Podcast Producer)
vVv Robzgod (Marketing Manager)
vVv SugarBear (StarCraft 2 Manager)

Moderators
vVv AmpeD (DotA2 Manager)
vVv Arkaine (Community Gamer Manager)
vVv Bizkit (Community Gamer Manager)
vVv Esoteric (Fighting Games Manager)
vVv Nocontrol (LoL Manager)
vVv Plattypus (LoL Community Manager)

Writers
vVv Blazek
vVv Rapture

We will be recruiting more writers and casters, as well as selecting our GW2 Guild Leader and officers and a Diablo 3 manager. We have so much great stuff happening!
LordJerith
Director of People, Riot Games
Owner, vVv Gaming
Entertain.Educate.Dominate

Follow me on Twitter @LordJerith

#2 vVv Kraft

vVv Kraft

Donor

• Donor: vVv Member
  • 602 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

So much has happened already this year and it's only April.
I'm excited to see what the future of gaming holds in NA and with the recent partnerships with twitch,mlg,nasl to cbs this can be huge!.. wait let me rephrase that, it will be huge!

@Voison and Slauney, thanks for the countless hours of help you've given the community here. We all greatly appreciate it!

Great write up Jerry!

A.

#3 _RaGe

_RaGe

Active Forum Contributor

• 220 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

Understood!
Follow ME @AoS_RaGe

#4 Rinzler

Rinzler

Forum Commando

• 536 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

I'm not entirely sure what the reason for the backlash was. Nothing changed. Noone that was angry was anywhere near a top level player or sponsored in any way. HOW DARE YOU MOVE ME TO A POSITION THAT I WAS ALREADY IN. HOW. DARE. YOU. It's good to know that eSports is moving in a direction we can support as a community. I'm looking forward to the next year in vVv.

Edit : Big thanks to voison and other previous staff for all of your work. We appreciate it.

Edited by vVv Talon, 19 April 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#5 vVv Medusa

vVv Medusa

Forum Cleaner

• Administrator
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Oh goshhh, can't wait to see the results of the changes we're making. Also excited to see a huge growth in eSports. D3 MANAGER FOR ME PLZ? kthnx.

I hope we still see the same amount of slauney and voison around here though!

Posted Image

#6 vVv SugarBear

vVv SugarBear

VP of Operations

• Executives
  • 8,382 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

What really disappointed me about the whole situation with Halo was that all of the complaints were followed by no action. The way to save Halo is by drawing interest from outside of our community by finding people to do great things in the Halo division, but instead the complaining was just followed by more complaining.
gallery_46889_1118_190543.gif
"i would like to consider myself a very succesful jerkoff" - vVv sK1ppY

#7 RelentlessM

RelentlessM

Active Forum Contributor

• 123 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Good luck to them both. And thanks for all their hard work :)

Twitter Me @vVv_RelentlessM | My YouTube Channel | Facebook - www.facebook.com/relentlessm

| XBL - vVv RelentlessM | LoL Name - Relentless M |

#8 CLowNz

CLowNz

Active Forum Contributor

• 184 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Good article Jerith.

And thanks to Voison and Slauney or their hard work.

#9 Advocate

Advocate

Chop-Chop Record Holder

• 594 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Lol, kinda reminds me of the vVv of a couple years ago, referring to only having sponsored players be labelled as part of that game's group. I think it's a move back in the right direction, I always felt closer to the community when we were all one big group.

vVvAdvocate.304
Posted Image
vVv LordJerith : (Today, 10:08 PM) EAT IT MOTHAFUCKAAAAAAASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Indifferent

Indifferent

Ya Boi

• 2,427 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Awww yeee staff represent bitches.

Awesome stuff, as always. Blazek and I are clearly the coolest of them all.
Posted Image
vVv SugarBear (24 January 2012 - 12:39 PM): @Rapture if you make GM by 2013 I will pay for your copy of SC2

#11 Arkaine

Arkaine

L'Influente

• 896 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hate the game, not the gamer. If your game gets attacked, don't make it personal. Period.

Nuff said. Great write-up Jerry, I think the community needed to see this.
@vVvArkaine
Posted Image

#12 Guest_RedManOne_*

Guest_RedManOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

great article, we gotta keep up the hard work

#13 vVv Perilous

vVv Perilous

I'm Asian - Not Really Though

• Honorary Member
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

What really disappointed me about the whole situation with Halo was that all of the complaints were followed by no action. The way to save Halo is by drawing interest from outside of our community by finding people to do great things in the Halo division, but instead the complaining was just followed by more complaining.

While I agree with you SB, it was merely complaining with no actions. The deed was already done. It would be near impossible to try and do great things when the division was taken away. I think had I known this would be happening you would have seen more of an effort to try and save it. ( I know it seems stupid to think that a threat of dropping a division would cause someone to change, but sometimes we do not think about things in ways to improve all the time).

I do believe this post should have been made prior to making the changes personally, it is always better to ease people into changes.

#14 Talent (Ex vVv)

Talent (Ex vVv)

Active Forum Contributor

• 124 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Wow this was amazing, great write up! I'm really looking forward to the future and further development of eSports!

#15 vVv Anaxamander

vVv Anaxamander

vVv Historian

• League of Legends
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Out of curiosity, is there any particular order that game priorities are in?

#16 vVv SugarBear

vVv SugarBear

VP of Operations

• Executives
  • 8,382 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'd say the order is far from static and depends on which divisions are adding hte most value at any given time.
gallery_46889_1118_190543.gif
"i would like to consider myself a very succesful jerkoff" - vVv sK1ppY

#17 Griddlez

Griddlez

Active Forum Contributor

• 368 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Cool, give props to our sponsored players. A more focused vVv is a better vVv.

#18 Voison

Voison

^________^

• 3,614 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Good luck to future staff!

Also... PS... Next GW2 GL... Don't fuck it up. ^_^

Kenny "Voison" Gordon
Twitter: @TL_Voison

#19 vVv LordJerith

vVv LordJerith

Co-Owner

• Executives
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

As Sugarbear said, they are not static. I listed them first by those titles at major events, followed by those that are no yet out (order by release date). Does that help? Is that clear?

While I agree with you SB, it was merely complaining with no actions. The deed was already done. It would be near impossible to try and do great things when the division was taken away. I think had I known this would be happening you would have seen more of an effort to try and save it. ( I know it seems stupid to think that a threat of dropping a division would cause someone to change, but sometimes we do not think about things in ways to improve all the time).

I do believe this post should have been made prior to making the changes personally, it is always better to ease people into changes.

I agree. In hindsight, I should have posted this when we did it. That is my bad.
LordJerith
Director of People, Riot Games
Owner, vVv Gaming
Entertain.Educate.Dominate

Follow me on Twitter @LordJerith

#20 SonTran

SonTran

Forum Commando

• 568 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

To improve, we are forced to make changes due to the current status of ESports

No one is perfect
Posted Image
"I must do my best...whatever I put upon my mind, I will grasp it...and rise victorious!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!