Receive Free Shipping with your purchase of $99 or more!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  vVv WooTang : (23 July 2014 - 03:12 PM) @vVv Daviepants yeah I can do that for you
@  vVv Oriklad : (23 July 2014 - 03:11 PM) I should be streaming till tonight. I am having a good run man! So remember to join me @ http://www.twitch.tv/dalkiro
@  vVv WooTang : (23 July 2014 - 03:09 PM) @vVv Daviepants like your banner? You should look at my new one :D
@  vVv Daviepants : (23 July 2014 - 03:05 PM) @Ori how long you gonna be streaming for? I'm still at work for another hour and can't hop on your stream for another 2-3 hours ish :/
@  vVv Oriklad : (23 July 2014 - 03:04 PM) Ok guys, still trotting on, and lookin' for support!!
@  vVv Oriklad : (23 July 2014 - 02:46 PM) Boss Number 5 down, and now going to clear the Lost Bastille!!!
@  vVv WooTang : (23 July 2014 - 02:46 PM) Hey all Community Members, I am just made " Sponsor Banner". Its if you wish to have one please click on the banner. I made one is with your name or just your Division with Applicant, Member Or Staff
Spoiler
@  vVv WooTang : (23 July 2014 - 02:41 PM) @Meepsss sup
@  Meepsss : (23 July 2014 - 01:56 PM) YO
@  vVv Oriklad : (23 July 2014 - 01:44 PM) And another boss bites the dust
@  vVv Oriklad : (23 July 2014 - 01:40 PM) I will take a cookie~
@  vVv WooTang : (23 July 2014 - 01:38 PM) @vVv Oriklad I will give you a cookie :lovecookie:
@  vVv Oriklad : (23 July 2014 - 01:36 PM) Wooot!! Killed my 3rd boss with no deaths!
@  vVv Krewel : (23 July 2014 - 01:07 PM) we'll barter I mean
@  vVv Krewel : (23 July 2014 - 01:07 PM) well barter
@  vVv Krewel : (23 July 2014 - 01:07 PM) I'll find you a submissive Asian or something
@  vVv Krewel : (23 July 2014 - 01:06 PM) If I do get destiny ill have to take it off my tv and redo the dam thing.. sigh @SugarBear buy me another Xbox one
@  vVv Oriklad : (23 July 2014 - 01:06 PM) About to fight my second boss in Dark Souls 2 on my new character, come and support the stream @ http://www.twitch.tv/dalkiro
@  iiMPaCT : (23 July 2014 - 01:03 PM) Turner I'll be giving away a code on stream tonight. If you follow me, you just may "happen" to be the winner ;) but you gotta assist me with your config for your stream
@  vVv Krewel : (23 July 2014 - 01:03 PM) meh xbone and ps4 look similar in graphics

Photo

Gamers helping Gamers: Improving Your Performance

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 vVv Doomhammer

vVv Doomhammer

Board Member

• Executives
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Performance Enhancement: Further Improving your Game!
by Sean “Blazek” Emes, edited by Jordan “Doomhammer” Kahn

More than a year ago I wrote the article “Performance Enhancement: Improving your Game.” That article was aimed at things every gamer can do improve their game and how to learn to be a better player. Since then I have gotten a lot of positive feedback and plenty of requests for more tips that players can use to improve, both in general and for specific game types. So as the 2012 competitive season starts up, now is a great time to expand on the idea with Performance Enhancement part 2!

Posted Image
It's game time!

Setting a Schedule:
If you are serious about becoming a competitive gamer then it is important to create a schedule for your game time, just like you would for any field in which you are trying to improve. Whether you start smaller with just two hours, three times a week, or you dive in headfirst and can make a schedule for daily practice, make your schedule and stick to it! Remember: consistency is habit forming. By sticking to your training hours you will be more likely to train consistently, and your game will improve faster. Not only that, but the discipline it takes to stick to a schedule will carry over into the game, and help make you a better player. Not bad just for having a training calendar.

One Thing at a Time!
Throughout the many sports I have played in my life, each of them was improved by a similar training method: every time you train, spend the majority of your time focusing on a single aspect of your game. Let’s take tennis as an example. If you are just starting tennis it would be impossible to try and learn to serve, forehand, backhand, volley, and apply spin properly all in one day. So you start with one aspect, learn that, and move onto another in the next training session. This applies directly to competitive gaming as well! Pick an aspect of your game for each day (or training session) and focus on perfecting only that. While overall play may suffer during training due to the narrow focus, that’s to be expected. The goal of a training session is not to win, but to practice specific skills that will make you better overall.

Posted Image
Today we practice…lunging!

The Importance of Losing
We’ve all been there, and sucks. Losing is never something any player wants to do; but it is an important part of becoming a better player as long as you understand WHY you lost. The most immediate and common reaction to losing is anger, frustration, and misplacing the blame. It is an easy way to deny the fact that we made mistakes or just aren’t good enough at something. Fortunately, we discussed this here on Geek to Me when we talked about embracing your suck . It’s easier to improve when you don’t have unrealistic expectations of yourself, and can immediately skip to the part where you accept your loss and try to understand what went wrong. A good place to start is to watch replays of games you lost, from every angle possible (yours, your opponent’s and the observers). With many games today, the features allow for much better analysis, and effective understanding is the only way to move forward!

Reward Yourself!
While it’s important to start by learning from your mistakes, it is equally important to be rewarded for your successes. After training, winning practice matches, or placing well in a tournament you should evaluate your improvement and reward yourself for doing well. There is a psychology behind positive reinforcement, and allowing the reward portion of your brain to engage when you do well will help to make winning and improving habitual and satisfying. If you’re doing it right, you’ll end up enjoying your own progression and every step along the way. So get out there and start training!

Jordan "Doomhammer" Kahn
Doomhammer@vvv-gaming.com

Live Services

Riot Games

gallery_5702_228_45546.jpg
"Because two tanks aren't twice as good as one tank. They're five times as good."
j7t9iu.png

#2 KrazeR

KrazeR

Active Forum Contributor

• 103 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Good read, I really havent thought about the one thing at a time approach. I usually just game and watch replays. Going to try it out for the week and see how it goes!

#3 amghawk

amghawk

Active Forum Contributor

• 120 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

This is a very good advice, put together good thank you
Mike
Twitter:amghawk
XBL:GB amghawk
Posted Image

#4 Drogba

Drogba

Pele

• 510 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Usually when I lose I blame it on my teammates when it was also me who contributed to the loss. At times I do have those "I suck" days and usually they end up in me ending my gaming early, but no more! I will learn to embrace my suck!

#5 The Turtle

The Turtle

That Turtle Kid

• 1,782 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Good read. I will definatly apply this to myself and my team with cod.
XBL: The Sly Turtle
Halo 4 and Black Ops II Player

#6 Guest_Matt Kolmos_*

Guest_Matt Kolmos_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

i am going to use this as my guide to increase my skill in starcraft 2

#7 cj1988

cj1988

Active Forum Contributor

• 164 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

I'll definitely take these set of guidelines into consideration haha. I'm a competitive Starcraft II player so we'll see if this works out for me lol. Seems proper =]

Thanks.
Christopher Soo (Nova.708)
email: cj.soo@hotmail.com
Posted Image

#8 KakarotKY

KakarotKY

Forum Commando

• 553 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Amazing read. You point out a lot of great points. I applaud you, sir. I applaud you.

Diablo 3 lover | Father | Nerd | Streamer | Goku's Biggest Fan | DBZ Fanatic | @KakarotKY

#9 Ascendent

Ascendent

Active Forum Contributor

• 277 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

One thing at a time. Trying this out tonight, give me a week or 2 and a better sniper i will be.

#10 Bever

Bever

I need to post more!

• 22 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

When I participated in the Adopt a Noob program during Halo 3 as a mentor I utilized many of these techniques. Having a Master's in psychology doesn't hurt either :)

#11 vVv Blazek

vVv Blazek

Columnist / MMO Guru

• MMO
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

When I participated in the Adopt a Noob program during Halo 3 as a mentor I utilized many of these techniques. Having a Master's in psychology doesn't hurt either :)

Funny you say that, my background is in psychology as well so most of the advice offered in both this and the previous article, Gamer Tips: Improving Your game, draw heavily from the field. ;)

PSN: Fayt87 GT: vVv Blazek Steam: vVv Blazek

Currently Playing: FFXIV - Warrior, WoW - Monk

#12 Defyiant

Defyiant

Active Forum Contributor

• 339 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

This is a very hot topic I agree with this. A player is only as good as the team around him and it's very important to practice teamwork and build a team foundation. No one likes to lose but a great team accepts defeat does not point the finger and learn from their own mistakes as a team.

Posted Image Defyiant

Posted Image @NoFaithNGod

#13 Xzael

Xzael

Active Forum Contributor

• 127 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

great post, enjoyable read !
Xzael

#14 Spydo

Spydo

I need to post more!

• 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

great tips. thanks for sharing!

#15 Fr3nchy

Fr3nchy

I need to post more!

• 44 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

Very good thread il repost it to some people if you don't mind.

#16 Herve

Herve

• 61 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Love the advice, will be putting it into use shortly!

#17 vVv jiggy

vVv jiggy

Socialite

• League of Legends
  • 417 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

This is a very hot topic I agree with this. A player is only as good as the team around him and it's very important to practice teamwork and build a team foundation. No one likes to lose but a great team accepts defeat does not point the finger and learn from their own mistakes as a team.

I agree with you. I hate when people play the blame game.

jiggy.png

#18 Rahktaahl

Rahktaahl

I need to post more!

• 16 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:20 AM

Agreed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop advanced computer eyewear at GUNNAR Optiks.
Change Theme!