Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  iHonkey : (02 September 2014 - 12:24 AM) Just checked out Hyrule Warrios. I think im in love.
@  vVv SilverSpoon : (01 September 2014 - 10:55 PM) September 26th is when Hyrule Warriors comes out. If you have no idea what it is, look it up T_T its so gorgeous.
@  HypErKiZ : (01 September 2014 - 10:54 PM) Goodnight vVv
@  vVv Tahvvy : (01 September 2014 - 10:29 PM) http://www.dorkly.co...ver-see#!bOfTlx
@  vVv Tahvvy : (01 September 2014 - 10:29 PM) fk
@  vVv Tahvvy : (01 September 2014 - 10:28 PM)
Spoiler
@  vVv F R 0 o T x : (01 September 2014 - 10:20 PM) lmao
@  vVv F R 0 o T x : (01 September 2014 - 10:20 PM) #yolo
@  vVv Tahvvy : (01 September 2014 - 10:18 PM) yolo
@  vVv Tahvvy : (01 September 2014 - 10:18 PM) dont know what riki is and im scared
@  vVv F R 0 o T x : (01 September 2014 - 10:18 PM) Moar Riki time http://www.twitch.tv/vvvfr0ot
@  vVv Tahvvy : (01 September 2014 - 10:13 PM) :Tahvvy:
@  vVv F R 0 o T x : (01 September 2014 - 10:11 PM) :chase: AHHHHHHH
@  vVv Vall : (01 September 2014 - 10:10 PM) hey all
@  vVv F R 0 o T x : (01 September 2014 - 10:08 PM) Where did you find that corgi
@  Falcodile : (01 September 2014 - 10:02 PM) anyone to play ascension in LoL?
@  vVv Tahvvy : (01 September 2014 - 09:39 PM) pft i got placed there saaaaan
@  vVv Tahvvy : (01 September 2014 - 09:39 PM) robz just got in bronze 1?
@  vVv Tahvvy : (01 September 2014 - 09:39 PM) hihihi
@  vVv RobZGod : (01 September 2014 - 09:30 PM) @HypErKiZ :rob:

Photo

Losers Bracket: Roundtable Extra - MLG Titles for 2012

major league gaming starcraft ii mortal kombat halo moba league of legends dota heroes of newerth call of duty gears of war

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: MLG 2012 Roundtable (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Whose rankings do you think are most accurate?

1. Alex/Goldenboy: Moba Titles, Halo, Starcraft II, Mortal Kombat, Gears of War 3, Call of Duty (1 votes [1.45%])

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

2. Jason/Paradise: Starcraft II & Moba Titles (Tie), Mortal Kombat, Gears of Wars 3, Halo & Call of Duty (Tie) (10 votes [14.49%])

Percentage of vote: 14.49%

3. Jerry/LordJerith: Starcraft II, Gears of War 3 & Halo (Tie), Call of Duty & Mortal Kombat (Tie), Moba Titles (40 votes [57.97%])

Percentage of vote: 57.97%

4. Jon/Phoenix: Starcraft II, Moba Titles, Mortal Kombat, Call of Duty, Gears of War 3, Halo (8 votes [11.59%])

Percentage of vote: 11.59%

5. Jorge/Nynjatic: Starcraft II, Halo, Mortal Kombat, Call of Duty, Gears of War 3, Moba Titles (10 votes [14.49%])

Percentage of vote: 14.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 vVv Paradise

vVv Paradise

VIP

• Donor: vVv Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

Posted Image

The Loser's Bracket - Roundtable Extra
Featuring GoldenboyFTW and vVv Nynjatic

In addition to our regular show, we also have an extra roundtable discussion this week on the future of MLG. Which titles are the most important to the league heading into 2012? Listen in and share your thoughts on the importance of various game titles for the 2012 MLG season

Attached to this thread is a poll. Vote for the person who you believe has the most accurate rankings. The winner of the poll will choose their favorite post discussing this episode and invite the poster to be a guest on a future episode of The Loser's Bracket.

Tweet us your feedback to our twitter account: @losersbracket!

http://youtu.be/xgWZTNoFVks

http://vvvgaming.podbean.com/mf/web/qcaujm/LosersBracketRoundtableExtra.mp3

Listen to the entire vVv podcast catalog at our podcast website! Click here to check it out!

Jason "Paradise" Kuntz
Community Manager,
Duel of Champions
Ubisoft Entertainment
Follow me on Twitter: @UbiParadise
Friend me of Facebook: /vVvParadise

#2 The Turtle

The Turtle

That Turtle Kid

• 1,782 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

I like Jerry's choices because Sc2 is such a big game that MLG wouldnt dare drop it and Halo has lost some following and with Gow3 coming out with such a big community it may be able to compete with Halo. Call of Duty and Mk9 will most like both be played on the Ps3 so its just up to MLG to decide which one will bring in more income. And Moba games....idk..
XBL: The Sly Turtle
Halo 4 and Black Ops II Player

#3 Relent is BANNED

Relent is BANNED

BANNED 4 LIFE

• Banned
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

My rankings would be:

SC2: Hands down the biggest game in eSports right now. Watched by everyone and with all the big names coming to MLG from all over the world it is easily the #1 ranked game on the list.

Halo: It is the game that has been with MLG since it's start and has always had a big fan base. It has the 2nd biggest names in MLG with people like T2 and Walshy.

LoL: This game has been getting huge stream numbers and is being played and watch all around the world like SC2. I would say it could almost be a tie with halo if it wasn't for halo's history with MLG.

MK9: MLG needs a fighting game and MK9 packs a punch. It seems to be blowing up right now and out of all the fighters it seems to be the most hype and has a wider pool of characters being used. Also, alot of people in the fighting community say that MK9 bring people from all other fighters so it has a lot of value to MLG.

Gears of War 3: It is really hard to say what would be better, CoD or Gears, but I feel the gears community is ready to show they deserve to be on the circuit. Everyone is really looking forward to the games release and alot of good has already began.

CoD: While the game is getting better and better every event, it still doesn't seem to be as fast pace or exciting to watch as gears. The game is mulitiplatform so it has more people who might be interested but I still feel the game is not as entertaining to watch as Gears of war. But you also have to keep in mind the sony deal.

Posted Image

#4 vVv LordJerith

vVv LordJerith

Co-Owner

• Executives
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

Might help if you LISTENED to the show first, lol. I swear. . .
LordJerith
Director of Rioter Relations, Riot Games
Co-Owner, vVv Gaming
Entertain.Educate.Dominate

Follow me on Twitter @LordJerith

#5 RoxsicK (Ex-vVv)

RoxsicK (Ex-vVv)

the Lionheart

• 1,233 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

Great podcast, couldn`t be more excited for the 2012 season, going to be the biggest yet without a doubt.

My opinion : Anyone voting the MOBA titles out of the top 2 is either being really naive or unfamiliar with their communities. Beyond a shadow of a doubt these titles will be on par if not surpass the streaming numbers from StarCraft and should rival it in attendance. Halo I feel is falling by the wayside atleast with Reach, MLG is evolving and sadly despite how much Halo meant to MLG in the past its just not keeping up with the rapid growth.

That being said my vote would have to be for Phoenix's order.

Edited by vVv RoxsicK, 03 August 2011 - 04:47 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Fallout

Fallout

Active Forum Contributor

• 130 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but are Moba Titles?

Vision.Valor .Victory

Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter

#7 Indifferent

Indifferent

Ya Boi

• 2,427 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

Dota/LoL
Posted Image
vVv SugarBear (24 January 2012 - 12:39 PM): @Rapture if you make GM by 2013 I will pay for your copy of SC2

#8 Soul

Soul

Active Forum Contributor

• 329 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

i agree with jerry and i could go on and on with this and its like i stress this sooo much halo brings in so many people from the community to certain extent where i see people rebuying halo reach or looking forward to halo anniversary and halo4 , yeah halo 4 is made by different developers but they also getting looked over by the same people who made reach so it might have a chance to the new people and regardless the people are going to love it cause its fucking halo lol seriously.? also i dont know much bout starcraft but i do numbers and everyday the community is growing for that game and its crazy and its not going to stop..period.GearsofWar can have the potential to be on the circuit if people get right, be more mature, and stop playing the blame game and just blame themselves for what had happen to gears in the past and leave it in the past imo, its great competition imo why let your ego get in the way of a game you really do love and come to appreciate, Call of Duty community is crazy and its gets crazy every year and i dont see a promblem from it staying on the circuit when mw3 comes out ive play shitloads amounts CoD b4 gears came out and its a great community imo. mortal kombat....wow lol what i can i say from watching evo and watching Reo why the fuck not? MK9 is going to evolve like any other fighting game and plus its classic game and its going to pull em old school players and new school players in as well . the mooba titles im not a really big fan of em just cause im a big console player i dont see it doing to well on the case of starcraft and what can be better than starcraft....hm,,to be honest idk...but anywayz good podcast and that was my two cents lol
Posted Image

#9 The Mad Fiddler

The Mad Fiddler

I need to post more!

• New Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

Good cast :), lots of good ideas.

#10 vVv Blazek

vVv Blazek

Columnist / MMO Guru

• MMO
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

I kinda think SC2 is a no brainer as the leader heading into 2012 for MLG. The international appeal, the strategy involved to be competitive, and just watching the size and reaction of the crowd was unbeleavable. If this isnt the front runner then something very wrong happened in the world. Side note: this would be my reaction (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻

Originally I wasn't all that interested in Gears of War, but then I played it... It is pretty entertaining to watch (and play), it has been on the circuit before, and it is definatly one that can bring out emotions... which is always entertaining to watch. So ya, I think this will be a big draw for MLG.

Halo is... well Halo. While I get pretty bored watching it, it obviously appeals to a very large crowd. I think this may be debatable with gears on which will be more important in 2012, but really Halo has been around forever on MLG, it will continue to be a big part of it.

MK9 is quite enjoyable to watch and it allows for some player error but still bring about comebacks. The finnishers and breaks are pretty awesome to see and with how well it did in EVO i can see MK9 doing well in the future. I wouldn't place it so high as Halo or Gears as it is a newer title, especially to MLG, so it may not draw the crowd and players.

It was a bit interesting to watch CoD at Anaheim and I gotta admit I enjoyed it much more then I thought I would. It also proved it can be held as a spectator sport as the seating for the finals was jam packed. I'm not to sure how this will transition into MW3, but right now it shows it can hang with the big boys.

I probably would have ranked Moba games higher if LoL was the title chosen, but seeing as it will probably be HoN I gotta place this last. HoN is a very strategic game but it just isnt that entertaining to watch. Ya viewer numbers were high for Dreamhack but that was more about LoL, as it is faster paced and battles get crazy. HoN its a lot about ganking and small fights for over half of the game... which usually doesnt even start till about 8 min in.

Jerry made a lot of good points about this order as well, so ya I think he has it right.

... btw loved the intro song but... y u no yell out MORTAL KOMBAT D:

Edited by vVv Blazek, 03 August 2011 - 06:51 PM.

PSN: Fayt87 GT: vVv Blazek Steam: vVv Blazek

Currently Playing: FFXIV - Warrior, WoW - Monk

#11 Vero

Vero

Active Forum Contributor

• 125 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

The Reason I agree with Paradise more than anyone (mostly his top 2) is for the following reasons.

Starcraft 2 is Starcraft 2. The streams go up, the numbers go up. It truly is International when it comes to that term. It has sponsors,backings,hundreds of different communities,personalities,faces and just pure love and dedication to the game. Starcraft 2 will never have one bad showing and even if that were the case and it did have a shotty event, the community backing behind it would give a complete 180 degree turn the next event. The same can't be said for weaker and immature communities such as Call of Duty and Gears. As much as I like the games it's pretty obvious they have the weaker and more immature communities. Like it or not. Halo is more advanced and mature but even seeing some of the shadiness of Pro teams at events and all the complaining when Star Craft 2 got Center Stage shows a tiny bit of instability.

MOBA Games: MOBA Games are highly rising as we have seen and the stream numbers,They are huge and also like Star Craft include a true international scene. LoL is the World of Warcraft of MOBAs. Anyone can play it,it has a good community and an interactive developer. Not to mention the fact reiterating my point before,Almost ANY Computer can play it. You don't need a somewhat high end computer such as Sc2 and HoN and other PC Games. It's accessible,easy to pick up and they aimed the game to make it different from HoN so it is more offensive and not so much the technical game play you see such as denying,hardcore jungle farming,Creep AI etc etc. Also like Paradise,Golden and Phoenix said, WCG and Dream Hack. Nuff said. Deep pockets seemed like afitting word to use.

DOTA2/HoN is where I see a toss up. The games are good,have a huge following (More so DOTA),are well made games, have a giant scene,personalities and even more so important a huge friction in communities and by friction I mean huge rivalries and bitterness between each other and in this case only makes each game more important. I say this in response to Jerry's High rage game concept. I think in this case it only makes HoN and other MOBAs that much better. Watching the fights between Honcast and DRD with people like Testie and Dagius is the most entertaining stuff and makes their games that much interesting if you truly follow the background story. On the flip side like said before, it is sometimes a slower game play,is more technical and can get very stalematey. Not to mention the High demand it cost's to get 5 v 5 set up and how many computer that would take.

All in All , I think the MOBA Games (More so LoL) are competitive Casual games. By this I mean, High end skill with good skill gaps, but also an accessible game to almost anyone and the Tactics used in the high end games aren't foreign to the casuals.

Mortal Kombat: Once again just Like I said for MOBAs and even Paradise's Reference. Mortal Kombat is a well made Competitive Casual Game. Who in the world doesn't know what Mortal Kombat is whether it is the Game,the movie,the art or the Arcade version. You find me someone. Fighters are a good foundation for any league because of the spirit of Competitive gaming. It truly is 1 v 1 aiming to kick the other one's Ass. There is no RNG or having to worry about Teammates etc. It is easy to pick up whether to play or watch. You don't have to be a video game expert to see Subzero destroy someone and freeze them and shatter their body to understand that character is winning. It's also fast paced ,High energy and has it's good placement of Gore. Overall, Fighters are a big deal for any Gaming League and with the unwillingness of other companies/Games ie Street Fighter and MvC3,MK appears to be a very good fit especially with all the good reviews it has.

Gears 3: The reason Gears 3 is important to MLG over Halo and Call of Duty. Is because like Sundance said, the pre orders are crazy. Not to mention the supposed cooperation of Cliffy B with MLG is a giant shining light for the whole community. The reason it is more important than Halo or Call of Duty is the fact, Gears 3 can either go incredible HUGE or falter like Gears 2. I think Halo is kind of stagnant. If the new Halos are good games that is fine. But I think Halo has hit it's peak as too who it is attracting. Anyone who likes Halo at this point, likes it. Anyone who is indifferent will stray away. Nothing will truly change people's opinions on Halo at this point. It is what it is. As far as Call of Duty goes, between Developer instability and lack of true support and the community being as immature as it is, Not to say Gears is better, leaves it in a spot where I can't really decide on it. I am not out right saying that Gears 3 will be the better game in comparison. I just think it has the most potential to grow and attract new players. It still remains that "different" shooter no matter how you look at it.

Halo/Call of Duty: I explained my reasoning in The Gears 3 explanation. The games too me are kind of where they are. Yes Call of Duty announced a 1 million dollar tournament, but the qualifying for it was based off of leaderboards in game and etc.. I think Call of Duty as a franchise still doesn't truly get the difference between Competitive Pro Players and Pub Stars and honestly I think they are still far from it. Like Golden Said, FourzeroTwo is a very shady developer and says a lot but does little. Activision has a track record of being Money hungry and with all the new CoD/Diablo 3 announcements I don't see that philosophy changing much from them.

As far as Halo like I said before. It is stagnant. I don't think it is truly possibly at this point to attract anybody else to Halo who doesn't already Love or Hate it. With a new developer coming in, it could do a complete 180 and make a diamond in the rough or it could be spoils. But I think it doesn't put Halo in a position to grow. I feel Halo has become Stale from the Halo 2 and somewhat Halo 3 games. The point where I agree with Jerry slightly here is his Hockey Analogy, teams are just changing too much and it's hard to identify anymore. Between too many team changes, a slower game pace,not to mention the WOW factor that the BxRs and Double Shots provided is pretty much gone and a lack of personalities truly performing is what I attribute this too. T2, our old pride and join of Halo,the guy who many people saw as the Poster Child, has fallen through the cracks and has messed his game up and isn't even solidifying his top 4 spots we are used to. Walshy, another man we all identified with, While on the rise at the moment, is in the same boat. I believe a lot of Identity has been lost in Halo with teams like STR8 Rippin,Final Boss and Carbon not really being the Str8,Final Boss and Carbon , we all truly knew.

Wrap up

To say that PC games will dominate and soon run MLG is crazy,What can be said is, they are the key catalyst in getting the Console side bigger,motivating them and showing them what Competitive gaming really,how to build a brand, how to build a fan base and Finally how to interact and build as a community. Not a bunch of inside cliques,who call themselves a community , but are more out for personal gain and promotion. A community who excludes no one based on lack of gaming prowless, or what their previous background in gaming was. A true community where you can go up to players, get a picture and an autograph and have a nice chat without walking away and having to be nervous that the person you converse with is going to say "LOL What a random" when you walk away. Someone who embraces being adored and doesn't take it as a sign of superiority. Try doing that in some of the Gears and Call of Duty community and to an extent Halo. Good luck. I have talked to and been friends with a lot of "Pros" from the console games. I know what goes on, it isn't all butterflies.

Edited by .:Vero:., 04 August 2011 - 09:24 AM.

www.Twiitter.com/VeroProDiGY

#12 vVv RADIATION

vVv RADIATION

Sports Player

• Sports Games
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:06 PM

My list is exactly like Jerry's. If MLG want to take it to an even higher level (and they arguably the best Competitive Gaming league in the world right now), I think they should have 5(maybe even 6) games on the circuit in 2012. If they do, 2012 will be a historic year for eSports. With SC2, GoW3, Halo, CoD, MK9, and LoL, there is a good variety of communities and gameplay that would skyrocket the amount of MLG stream viewers.

I just hope the world doesnt end in 2012, because eSports will have the greatest year ever in its history.

Twitter.com/vVvRADIATION

Twitch.tv/vVvRADIATION

Youtube.com/vVvRADIATION

Facebook.com/iLikeRADIATION

#13 Reckless

Reckless

Active Forum Contributor

• 199 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

Starcraft is by far ahead of every single game on the circuit. If you just look at the crowds at events it has been to and you look at the stream numbers this game will be the flagship for MLG until there is a game that can dethrone it and i dont see any game coming out that can do that the game is just to big.

Gears of war 3 The one problem with this game has always been the community but with that said I believe this game has the potential to be MLG's 2nd best game even over halo. People will say how bad the gears community is but in reality this community has improved alot and with websites like gownation who fallout and phoenix run and gearsup who has a huge following from the european players the community will only grow because of all the events they are doing they are attracting a huge following and sundance himself has even said that he thinks that MLG will have big success with gears three not to mention that epic is now trying to work with MLG while in the past they didnt.

Halo I see halo as a dying game as of right now because i see i huge problem with a new developer coming in who knows what will happen there is just alot of uncertainity but this game is very important to MLG because halo has been the flagship of MLG without halo MLG would not be as big as it is today

MK9 MLG needs a fighting game and i think this is going to be it. if anyone watched evo like i did you saw as the tournament went on how big the crowd got and the streams numbers where big so I believe MLG needs this as there fighting game

MW3 this could be important to MLG but the only problem with the game is that it is not fun to watch what so ever even with the stream numbers being high.

MOBA Games i really do not know much about so i can not comment on it.

Edited by yahboyreckless, 03 August 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#14 My Tail

My Tail

Butthurt

• Banned
  • 912 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

It's not fair to ever rank Halo at the bottom, Halo is the base of MLG it indefinately defined the league and brought on the largest audience until Sc2 was added. If I were to rank it it would be better to put Moba titles at the bottom and sc2 along with it, I don't like the fact that Sc2 is overshadowing every other game and MLG is even dedicated a site to it. I will always choose Halo, GoW, and CoD as top 3. Nynjatic and Jerry are ones I agree with besides their first choices.
Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Grimm

Grimm

Active Forum Contributor

• 413 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

I have to agree with Nynjatic the most, SC2 is growing at a very rapid rate in NA, Halo is definitely still most popular in MLG and is just classic, MK9 is also a great refreshing change to shooters, CoD and Gears are definitely in an awkward stage competitively but is definitely on the rise, LoL is alittle astrange to north americans, does it have potential: hell yeah, but SC2 and LoL in a single event I just can't see.

Edited by Top sydeR, 04 August 2011 - 04:57 PM.

XBL: vVv Grimmm | AIM: vVv Grimm | PS N: vVv_Grimmm

@GrimmBeanz

#16 Mastertouch

Mastertouch

I need to post more!

• New Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

1st - Starcraft 2 - great stream numbers with the best live spectator crowd
2nd - Moba - best stream numbers, unproven for good spectator crowd in North America
3rd - MK9 - Good stream numbers with good spectator attendance
4th - Halo - unknown stream numbers (MLG doesn't release them) and good spectator attendance
5th - Gears 3 - low stream numbers with low attendance rate
6th - CoD - low stream numbers with low attendance rate.

#17 Relent is BANNED

Relent is BANNED

BANNED 4 LIFE

• Banned
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:38 AM

MK9 / CoD (Tie):
MK9 is overshadowed by Street Fighter, and MLG will be overshadowed by EVO in the fighting community. However, it will be MLG's only competitive fighting title and has the potential to still be very large, as it is 1v1, so there is no need for teams, worrying about teammates showing up, etc. MK9 is a game that still needs to be explored in the competitive scene and can either go up or down.

If I remember correctly, evo is only once a year. Also more national stages for a game can only be better and make evo better.

Posted Image

#18 Dream

Dream

Gnasher Artist

• 692 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:59 AM

I'm gonna have to go with Jerry's vote on this one, from what I heard, it's the most realistically stable lineup involving income and the communities behind the games.

Edited by vVv Dream, 04 August 2011 - 09:22 AM.

Posted Image

"You Never See It Coming, You Just Get To See It Go"

I've seen the Horizon, and now I'm ready for the sun.

#19 vVv LordJerith

vVv LordJerith

Co-Owner

• Executives
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:38 AM

I recommend you listen to the podcast before posting. Just some advice :-)
LordJerith
Director of Rioter Relations, Riot Games
Co-Owner, vVv Gaming
Entertain.Educate.Dominate

Follow me on Twitter @LordJerith

#20 SlayeRs

SlayeRs

I need to post more!

• 34 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

I dont know much about Moba but jorge seems most closest to what I would think

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: major league gaming, starcraft ii, mortal kombat, halo, moba, league of legends, dota, heroes of newerth, call of duty, gears of war

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!