Receive Free Shipping with your purchase of $99 or more!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Ticonz : (24 April 2014 - 04:34 PM) 30 minutes till Dark Souis 2 PC <3
@  Ticonz : (24 April 2014 - 04:14 PM) Np!
@  RahRah : (24 April 2014 - 04:05 PM) Thanks for the bump, Ticonz.
@  vVv Vall : (24 April 2014 - 04:00 PM) Ewwww
@  vVv Bizkit : (24 April 2014 - 03:57 PM) @Chief Cuello i know i am lol ima be there and get my ass whipped lol
@  vVv Vall : (24 April 2014 - 03:44 PM) What do you mean deadaim
@  RahRah : (24 April 2014 - 03:35 PM) If you have access to the WildStar Forums, please bump the recruitment thread at https://forums.wilds...sionate-gamers/
@  Deadaim : (24 April 2014 - 03:09 PM) what happened to the titanfall team did it get restarted again
@  Chief Cuello : (24 April 2014 - 03:07 PM) Whos excited for this CGN later !!?
@  Deadaim : (24 April 2014 - 03:02 PM) whats up everyone
@  vVv Pherzghul : (24 April 2014 - 02:57 PM) @vVv Jackal I believe that right now they plan to keep alpha testers apart from beta testers. Alpha will be 24/7 and beta will be 5-7 days testing every other week or so
@  vVv Zodyak : (24 April 2014 - 02:54 PM) @vVv NaturaL the spam of that topic is unnecessary
@  vVv Jackal : (24 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) @ vVv Pherzghul btw do u know if the characters are gonna be saved, or wiped after it goes to Closed beta > Open... etc ?
@  vVv NaturaL : (24 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) http://www.vvv-gamin...eturns-4-24-14/
@  vVv Pherzghul : (24 April 2014 - 02:29 PM) @vVv noc0ntrol it's in alpha right now and its by invite only. Founder packs will be released soon, the $150 one will give you alpha access while the $90 and $50 will give beta access
@  vVv Twitter : (24 April 2014 - 02:22 PM) Tweet(@vvv_gaming): vVv.Hearthstone are heading to Romania for @DHBucharest this weekend! http://t.co/fhblZKPSE5 http://t.co/bWxCwXituC
@  vVv noc0ntrol : (24 April 2014 - 02:22 PM) how do you get a beta key for that game?
@  vVv Pherzghul : (24 April 2014 - 02:16 PM) @vVv Tatsuota you're gonna have to like it to some degree because its a big part of the game
@  vVv noc0ntrol : (24 April 2014 - 02:13 PM) http://www.vvv-gamin...hack-bucharest/ :)
@  vVv Tatsuota : (24 April 2014 - 02:12 PM) @vVv Pherzghul i hate crafting haha

Photo

vVv IceVayne Reviews the SteelSeries Spectrum

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 vVv Doomhammer

vVv Doomhammer

Board Member

• Executives
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

SteelSeries Spectrum 5xb's

Though Astro is one of the the prominent provider of competitive headphones for Xbox 360 (also with Turtle Beach and Tritton), they have one giant issue: the quality of their product. The most common complaint about Astro is with their wiring, mixamps, and headphones constantly breaking due to manufacture defects. Gamers end up having to find different techniques to have the product work, even if that means using duct tape just to keep the product together. Gamers end up spending $250 on a product that breaks after very little use. SteelSeries solves these problems with the solution being the Spectrum 5xb's. At MLG Raleigh I got to use the Spectrum 5xb’s, and this is my analysis of these headphones to see if they will be competition for the Astro's A40's.

Posted Image

Pros: Great sound, very light, retractable microphone and ear cups were very soft and comfortable.

Cons: No voice feedback.

Design and feature: Designed as a premium quality, wired headset for Xbox 360 gamers, the SteelSeries Spectrum 5xb has XL-sized, hear-through cloth ear cushions that fit comfortably around the ear. With the custom-built soundscape via 40mm SunDancer (SCS) units, gamers can pinpoint the direction and locations of noises and movement throughout the game. The SteelSeries Spectrum 5xb features a durable double-braided nylon cord and dismantles into 3 separate parts, at the headband and at each earcup making it compact and easy to fit into a carrying case for storage and/or travel. Even if you drop the headphone it will not break! The material the headset is made with is quite resilient to the product being dropped. Even if you throw them in anger, they will be fine, though this is not recommended, ha.

Bottom line: These headphones are incredible. Sennheiser PC350's are good headphones as well but the headphones just feel heavy on my head. The closed ear leather cups made my ears feel very hot and uncomfortable. The headphone also just had too much bass audio which just made it really difficult to hear people talk in the game. Spectrum 5xb's had the perfect idea with hear-through cloth and design of the headphone. Less wires, leads to less problems. Astro has so many wires and are so sensitive that makes it almost impossible for them not to have problems.

Overall I would say the Spectrum 5xb's are amazing! Plus, this quite magnificent product is going to be sold for $89.99. Wait…your telling me that a headphone that is better in multiple fields than other headphones is only going to be $90! Why would you want to waste time with Astro’s product that not only breaks constantly, but is also $160 more? You wouldn’t!

Posted Image

The only feature I wish they would have incorporated on the 5xb’s was voice feedback. I just like having the feel of my own voice and replay what I'm saying to my teammates. It’s nothing though you can’t get use to and isn’t a big deal. I would recommend these headphones to all competitive gamers and the causal gamer. This headphone only improves your experience of gaming. Yet again, SteelSeries makes an amazing product, like they have been doing for the last decade.

For more information visit the SteelSeries Spectrum 5xb Page!

Jordan "Doomhammer" Kahn
Doomhammer@vvv-gaming.com

Production Coordinator for Riot Games

gallery_5702_228_45546.jpg
"Because two tanks aren't twice as good as one tank. They're five times as good."
j7t9iu.png

#2 vVv Exodus

vVv Exodus

vVv OG

• Honorary Member
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

Great review, someone get me that headset, make it happen :jumpparty:

#3 vVv LordJerith

vVv LordJerith

Owner

• Executives
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

Great review!
LordJerith
Director of People, Riot Games
Owner, vVv Gaming
Entertain.Educate.Dominate

Follow me on Twitter @LordJerith

#4 Blurry

Blurry

Head in the clouds.

• 470 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

Great review,picking mine up soon

Was vVv Blurry, GT=Hi Blurry

Check out my Re-App!

Posted Image

#5 Truth is a Liar

Truth is a Liar

Active Forum Contributor

• 349 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

I would love a pair of these! I have literally gone through 7 standard Microsoft mics in the last 3 years, 3 in the last 6 months.

#6 vVv Brock

vVv Brock

Former vVv Vice President of Visual Media

• Honorary Member
  • 901 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

Very good review. Definitely seem like a great pair of headphones!

#7 vVv Forsaken

vVv Forsaken

IT Tech

• Honorary Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

Reminds me of the 5Hv2's in packaging. Looks like they took some good features and improved on other things, which I prefer over a complete redesign. The retractable mic concerns me. My mic on the 5Hv2 is still going strong, but Ive heard of others breaking even with gentle use so I hope its reliable.
Posted Image
Posted Image

"If you are not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with anything original." - Ken Robinson

#8 The Turtle

The Turtle

That Turtle Kid

• 1,782 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

I am definatly looking to getting a pair in the future!
XBL: The Sly Turtle
Halo 4 and Black Ops II Player

#9 andpg09

andpg09

Active Forum Contributor

• 633 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:50 PM

DEFINITELY thinking about buying one of the 2 Spectrums with my birthday money ^_^
Im up all night on weekends playing xbox and need to be quieter :P

Turn ma swag oooooooooooooonnnnnnn

#10 Cauterize

Cauterize

vVv Historian

• 1,095 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:18 PM

They remind me of 5Hv2s.

How similar are they to 5Hv2s.

EmarosafixedforvVv_zps9a9db785.png
Xbox Live | Steam | Last.FM

#11 Volume

Volume

VIP

• 2,013 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

awesome headset !

Posted Image

R.I.P. Zyzz

Gamertag: vVv VoIume

Follow Me @VoIume

#12 GloryD

GloryD

2010-11 App Of The Year :)

• 1,050 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

yeah ill definitely be getting a pair and then burning my astros :D

GT:vVv GloryD

Competitive Player

Gears Of War 3 Main Slayer

Posted Image

#13 Reducey

Reducey

Ex vVv Member

• Banned
  • 984 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

yeah ill definitely be getting a pair and then burning my astros :D

Lmao
If my Trittons ever break, ill be getting a pair of these.

Aim - vVvMiracles | GT: Yo Reducey

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 | Gears of War 2

Posted Image

#14 SaiYuhn

SaiYuhn

Active Forum Contributor

• 354 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

Wow Great review :)

Gt: SaiYuhn

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Akbulut

Akbulut

Active Forum Contributor

• 329 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

Great review, I may actually have to buy a pair...

#16 Zombeast

Zombeast

vVv GoW

• 1,075 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

Been waiting for these babies to come out for a while now......Can't wait to get my hands on them!

Posted Image

#17 ForBoston

ForBoston

Active Forum Contributor

• 116 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

Thanks so much for this post! My Turtle Beaches just broke and i was thinking about getting AX 720's but i've heard of problems with that headset too. I'm totally going to be picking these up in the near near future. Awesome review.
Check out my SteelSeries Spectrum 5XB Review here!

Currently playing: NHL 11, anyone else?

#18 Metaphor

Metaphor

vVv Historian

• 2,546 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

Great review! I knew I would get these as soon as I put them on at Raleigh. Glad to see that everything else seems to be good aswell.

Metafour.

@JayJackson94

#19 vVv Doomhammer

vVv Doomhammer

Board Member

• Executives
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:59 PM

Reminds me of the 5Hv2's in packaging. Looks like they took some good features and improved on other things, which I prefer over a complete redesign. The retractable mic concerns me. My mic on the 5Hv2 is still going strong, but Ive heard of others breaking even with gentle use so I hope its reliable.

They remind me of 5Hv2s.

How similar are they to 5Hv2s.

They're very similar to the 5hv2's, based on a similar design, with a number of improvements, from what I've seen. The spectrum speaker is one step up in quality, they're more lightweight (hard to believe, I know), and they're also more durable in terms of twisting/compressing/throwing.

I've never heard of 5hv2 mic problems outside of people not being good with the mic directionality. Who do you know had problems with their mic?

Jordan "Doomhammer" Kahn
Doomhammer@vvv-gaming.com

Production Coordinator for Riot Games

gallery_5702_228_45546.jpg
"Because two tanks aren't twice as good as one tank. They're five times as good."
j7t9iu.png

#20 FlxsH

FlxsH

Future of eSports

• 896 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

Great review, I actually plan on buying these and selling my astros... when I get them back from repair :(

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop advanced computer eyewear at GUNNAR Optiks.
Change Theme!