Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  iPhaNaTix : (25 October 2014 - 06:23 PM) hello everyone
@  Canadian : (25 October 2014 - 05:55 PM) make sure you're in incognito mode so they cant catch you ;)
@  Nasher : (25 October 2014 - 05:53 PM) Canadian, we have to switch to vvvhack.exe
@  Canadian : (25 October 2014 - 05:53 PM) Wait does my hackvvv.bat no longer work?
@  vVv Tahvvy : (25 October 2014 - 05:40 PM) do i have to put my eye to something to verify that its me to sign in now?
@  vVv Doomhammer : (25 October 2014 - 05:21 PM) Misc performance and security changes
@  vVv Doomhammer : (25 October 2014 - 05:21 PM) Just a forum upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7
@  Canadian : (25 October 2014 - 05:04 PM) What was done?
@  vVv Doomhammer : (25 October 2014 - 05:01 PM) Cease panicking. The upgrade is complete.
@  vVv Tahvvy : (25 October 2014 - 04:49 PM) MASS PANIC go
@  vVv Tahvvy : (25 October 2014 - 04:49 PM) whats getting nerf'd?
@  vVv Tahvvy : (25 October 2014 - 04:49 PM) where's the patch notes?
@  vVv Tahvvy : (25 October 2014 - 04:49 PM) what does the upgrade include?
@  Canadian : (25 October 2014 - 04:38 PM) We can rebuild it, we have the technology
@  vVv Doomhammer : (25 October 2014 - 04:33 PM) What did I just say?!
@  vVv Tatsuota : (25 October 2014 - 04:32 PM) PANIC!
@  vVv RobZGod : (25 October 2014 - 04:32 PM) Remain calm, folks
@  vVv Doomhammer : (25 October 2014 - 04:32 PM) We are about to upgrade the forums. You may experience some intermittent disruption of service. Do not panic.
@  vVv Matter : (25 October 2014 - 03:51 PM) Hello
@  Shin Milk : (25 October 2014 - 03:30 PM) hello

Photo

Becoming a Pro Gamer: Get into Competitive Gaming NOW!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 vVv Doomhammer

vVv Doomhammer

Board Member

• Executives
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

Posted Image

Now is the Time to Get into Competitive Gaming
By Jerry "LordJerith" Prochazka

With the release of Halo: Reach, millions of gamers will be flocking to Xbox live to not only play the single player, but pwn noobs, earn bragging rights, make new friends, and form teams to play competitively. With the recent release of Blizzard's Starcraft II, and the future of releases of Call of Duty: Black Ops, Medal of Honor, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, and Gears of War 3, I am here today to tell you that NOW is the time to get into competitive gaming, either as a fan or as a player.

Posted Image
"I said 'GET INTO IT!'"

I first want to reach out to those of you that are thinking about competing. Some of you may be hesitant because you feel that it's too late for you to play at the top level. I am here to tell you that nothing could be farther from the truth. If you followed Major League Gaming's 2009 and 2010 Major League Gaming Pro Circuit, you would have seen many new players break into the top ranks. Many rising stars, who did not have a deep and long background in competitive gaming. decided to give it a shot and reach for the top. Many of you who read this are exceptionally talented at video games and you don't even know it.

Posted Image
"You never know until you try."

I encourage you now to start identifying the top players, top organizations and the tournaments and leagues where your favorite games are being played. To give you a good start, you can bet that both Major League Gaming and the World Cyber Games will have Halo: Reach competitions. I'd like to take this opportunity to plug a four part series for this very blog called Competing Position, including Pros vs Amateurs, Finding a Team, Team Training, and Clutch vs Choke.

And if you're looking for a great gaming community, as always I recommend vVv Gaming. Yes, there is an obvious bias here, but I am very proud of our community and the experience we offer players.

For those of you that are a fan of competitive gaming I have to recommend two podcast shows. Live on 3 hosted by DJ Wheat, the most respected name in competitive gaming coverage, and vVv Gaming's own The Losers Bracket, hosted by yours truly and a great team of gamers with diverse gaming backgrounds.

Posted Image
"The new face of competition?"

There are many podcasts that deal with specific game titles only. For example, those of you who are brawlers, and for those of you who don't know that means players of Super Smash Bros Brawl, there is Directional Influence, a podcast hosted by vVv Gaming and dedicated to all things Brawl.

Now, what are you waiting for? There is a revolution in entertainment happening right before you. Many of you may still not have gotten into Facebook, but with a major motion picture release, hopefully, you'll catch up to social media. Beyond that, there is competitive gaming. In case you have not noticed, an entire network of communities, tournaments, events and media outlets have sprung up and there's no better time to be involved than right now. Pick up your copy of Halo: Reach, download Starcraft II, preorder your favorite games and get involved. You may have missed Facebook, but just like it's never too late to sign up and get involved on Facebook, or to get a smart phone, it's never too late to become a part of competitive gaming.

Read this article posted on Geek to Me!

Edited by vVv Bizkit, 21 February 2012 - 05:27 PM.

Doomhammer

Production Coordinator, Riot Games

Co-Owner, vVv Gaming

gallery_5702_228_45546.jpg
"Because two tanks aren't twice as good as one tank. They're five times as good.

#2 Reducey

Reducey

Ex vVv Member

• Banned
  • 984 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:47 PM

Good write up Doom. This got me really wanting to play Reach competitive. I may just try it and see how I do at DC.

Aim - vVvMiracles | GT: Yo Reducey

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 | Gears of War 2

Posted Image

#3 Zeppelin

Zeppelin

I rule the forums!

• 954 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

Good write up Doom. This got me really wanting to play Reach competitive. I may just try it and see how I do at DC.

Yeah, I'll give Reach a try competitively and see where I can take it from there. It's been awhile since I've done anything Halo related.

Posted Image

#4 Volume

Volume

VIP

• 2,013 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

Really looking forward to upcoming tourneys. Great Read !

Posted Image

R.I.P. Zyzz

Gamertag: vVv VoIume

Follow Me @VoIume

#5 Metaphor

Metaphor

vVv Historian

• 2,547 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

Great read. :)

Metafour.

@JayJackson94

#6 Roar

Roar

• 1,033 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:24 AM

Great read, I completely agree, got to love the hype starcraft 2 and halo: reach are getting!

Posted Image

#7 Trips

Trips

I need to post more!

• 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:50 AM

Very nice post. And I quote "What are you waiting for?". My answer to that is a team. :D

#8 vVv Enmity

vVv Enmity

Forum Commando

• Donor: vVv Member
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

^^^^ go find one then. Talking about it on the fourms won't do you any good.

#9 NooG

NooG

Active Forum Contributor

• 260 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

Now is the Time to Get into Competitive Gaming
By Jerry "LordJerith" Prochazka

With the release of Halo: Reach, millions of gamers will be flocking to Xbox live to not only play the single player, but pwn noobs, earn bragging rights, make new friends, and form teams to play competitively. With the recent release of Blizzard's Starcraft II, and the future of releases of Call of Duty: Black Ops, Medal of Honor, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, and Gears of War 3, I am here today to tell you that NOW is the time to get into competitive gaming, either as a fan or as a player.

Posted Image
"I said 'GET INTO IT!'"

I first want to reach out to those of you that are thinking about competing. Some of you may be hesitant because you feel that it's too late for you to play at the top level. I am here to tell you that nothing could be farther from the truth. If you followed Major League Gaming's 2009 and 2010 Major League Gaming Pro Circuit, you would have seen many new players break into the top ranks. Many rising stars, who did not have a deep and long background in competitive gaming. decided to give it a shot and reach for the top. Many of you who read this are exceptionally talented at video games and you don't even know it.

Posted Image
"You never know until you try."

I encourage you now to start identifying the top players, top organizations and the tournaments and leagues where your favorite games are being played. To give you a good start, you can bet that both Major League Gaming and the World Cyber Games will have Halo: Reach competitions. I'd like to take this opportunity to plug a four part series for this very blog called Competing Position, including Pros vs Amateurs, Finding a Team, Team Training, and Clutch vs Choke.

And if you're looking for a great gaming community, as always I recommend vVv Gaming. Yes, there is an obvious bias here, but I am very proud of our community and the experience we offer players.

For those of you that are a fan of competitive gaming I have to recommend two podcast shows. Live on 3 hosted by DJ Wheat, the most respected name in competitive gaming coverage, and vVv Gaming's own The Losers Bracket, hosted by yours truly and a great team of gamers with diverse gaming backgrounds.

Posted Image
"The new face of competition?"

There are many podcasts that deal with specific game titles only. For example, those of you who are brawlers, and for those of you who don't know that means players of Super Smash Bros Brawl, there is Directional Influence, a podcast hosted by vVv Gaming and dedicated to all things Brawl.

Now, what are you waiting for? There is a revolution in entertainment happening right before you. Many of you may still not have gotten into Facebook, but with a major motion picture release, hopefully, you'll catch up to social media. Beyond that, there is competitive gaming. In case you have not noticed, an entire network of communities, tournaments, events and media outlets have sprung up and there's no better time to be involved than right now. Pick up your copy of Halo: Reach, download Starcraft II, preorder your favorite games and get involved. You may have missed Facebook, but just like it's never too late to sign up and get involved on Facebook, or to get a smart phone, it's never too late to become a part of competitive gaming.

Read this article posted on Geek to Me!

Great write up i love gow.i want to play that as a pro
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Krisbyy

Krisbyy

Active Forum Contributor

• 246 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

Nice Article. I totally agree with Black Ops and Gears 3 im gonna be trying my hardest to get noticed :P

Posted Image

#11 Mellow

Mellow

I need to post more!

• 26 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

I don't really mean to have a dig at vVv here so please take this first paragraph as genuine criticism that I believe would actually improve your community. I think that I would be more inclined to visit this website if the community wasn't so quick to just agree with whatever the top dogs put out. I think the insistence of bringing value to the organisation has almost scared people from sharing their opinion. I have read your web stats before and they are obviously something you take great pride in, but I imagine your bounce rate would be far, far better, if people were encouraged to debate and share their thoughts rather than just agree and post "great read" in reply to everything. I doubt it's just me who thinks this. Currently there's almost no reason for people to check back to earlier threads.

The reason I say this is because I don't think this is a great read at all. In fact, I think that this was a piece that must have come about because there wasn't much content kicking about on the particular day that this was penned. For one, it would have been much better had you actually gone into further detail on a few of your points, including detailing a case of a player rising to the top out of relative obscurity and prove that you can actually come from nowhere and make it to the top rather than just saying it.

"If you followed Major League Gaming's 2009 and 2010 Major League Gaming Pro Circuit, you would have seen many new players break into the top ranks."

The article for the most part seems to be aimed at the average man who won't even know much about competitive gaming, other than that it exists, so a case example probably would have made it easier to relate to rather than them just taking your word for it.

I also don't agree with the title of the article because I believe it's a touch misleading, in that, it's not necessarily a great time to aim to "become" a pro gamer. I think there's a significant difference between aiming to become a pro and getting into competitive gaming. I would define a pro gamer as someone who plays video games professionally, and therefore, they get paid to do so as a job. Attending events and competing for money, doesn't make you a professional.

Don't get me wrong, I love eSports, but the opportunities to become a genuine professional are few and far between and for 99.9% of players, the rewards vs the sacrifices are not balanced. Even if you compare current opportunities to a few years ago, there aren't even necessarily more opportunities than there have been in the past. There are more tournaments for some games, more exposure and more businesses interested in gaming, but the opportunities available to the average player become a professional gamer is by no means at an all time high.

Edited by Mellow, 24 October 2010 - 07:13 PM.

Chris 'Mellow' Marsh
Imperial Esport LTD Managing Director - European Console League Co-Event Manager - Decerto Management
Imperial eSports Website
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ECLMellow

#12 K4rMa

K4rMa

I need to post more!

• 10 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

Good read

#13 Gimpyfish62

Gimpyfish62

I need to post more!

• 17 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

good read

#14 Xzax

Xzax

Lurker

• 53 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

Excellent read :D
Posted Image

Xzax- Philadelphia PA

My App- http://www.vvv-gamin...showtopic=45375

All is Brawl - http://allisbrawl.com/profile/Xzax.ai

AIM: xzax1337 hit me up :]

#15 Nucstorm

Nucstorm

Active Forum Contributor

• 190 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:13 AM

Good read, I'm glad that I'm just starting to get into the Competition. Definitely going to try and find some Black Ops tournaments where I live!

Posted Image
vVv
XBL: vVv Nucstorm
Currently Playing: CoD:BO
Posted Image

#16 GmoneyyyClutch

GmoneyyyClutch

Lurker

• 79 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

Great Read. The only way to know if your good enough to play against the pro's or even the best amateurs is to attend the MLG events. Cant wait for Cbus '11
Posted Image

#17 CpSoldier

CpSoldier

I need to post more!

• 34 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

I've been looking for a team for a while that is actually active .. anyone interested

#18 Nicolaz

Nicolaz

I need to post more!

• New Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

Good read. Now i need to get a game and a team to enter that damn pro gaming!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!