Receive Free Shipping with your purchase of $99 or more!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  vVv WooTang : (24 April 2014 - 07:49 PM) Had a good time at the CGN
@  vVv d4rkcide : (24 April 2014 - 07:45 PM) For MOBA night tonight, playing smite. We are meeting the Miscellaneous Games channel in mumble, see you there starting in 15 mins
@  vVv Zedige : (24 April 2014 - 07:42 PM) CGN was pretty cool for the return of it
@  Shorlong : (24 April 2014 - 07:42 PM) @.dissent :P
@  vVv SugarBear : (24 April 2014 - 07:41 PM) Titanfall CGN starting in 20 minutes! Get on mumble :)
@  .dissent : (24 April 2014 - 07:32 PM) @Shorlong I see how it is.
@  Shorlong : (24 April 2014 - 07:01 PM) Oops, wrong time! Starts in exactly one hour!
@  Shorlong : (24 April 2014 - 06:40 PM) Smite CGN in 20 minutes for Thursday Night MOBA CGN! Who all is coming?
@  Ticonz : (24 April 2014 - 06:36 PM) Archeage Founder packs went live!
@  vVv Deadblow : (24 April 2014 - 06:29 PM) hey hey
@  Mr SynerG : (24 April 2014 - 06:28 PM) CoD update be on once it finishes
@  vVv NaturaL : (24 April 2014 - 06:01 PM) http://www.twitch.tv/vvvhavik streaming the CGN here
@  Phantom23 : (24 April 2014 - 06:00 PM) ArcheAge Founders Pack time??
@  Ticonz : (24 April 2014 - 05:58 PM) Trion ArcheAge Stream coming up in 2 minutes! Giving away 3 alpha keys! http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds
@  KyleSHyper11 : (24 April 2014 - 05:58 PM) @sugarbear Peggle 2 DLC!!! woooohooo
@  Mr SynerG : (24 April 2014 - 05:54 PM) @vVv Zedige I might hop on havent touched CoD since TF
@  vVv Zedige : (24 April 2014 - 05:51 PM) Whos Ready for this CoD CGN?
@  vVv Bizkit : (24 April 2014 - 05:50 PM) @vVv NaturaL ill be a lil late. Gotta eat dinner first
@  vVv NaturaL : (24 April 2014 - 05:47 PM) CGN starts in 15 minutes! Message vVv Havik or vVv xNaturaL for an inv!
@  vVv Twitter : (24 April 2014 - 05:25 PM) Tweet(@vvv_gaming): RT @vVv_NaturaL: Come join myself and @vVv_Gaming CoD community members and applicants tonight in our Community Game Night!!! Start time is…

Photo

Competing Positions: Effective Training #3

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 vVv Doomhammer

vVv Doomhammer

Board Member

• Executives
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

In order for players to improve together as a team, they must train together effectively. Players often talk about skill and chemistry. Chemistry is not just about getting along and having some laughs. Chemistry is also about training together effectively to achieve common team goals.

What is Training?

Training is a simulated version of an actual competition. During competitions, you want to be supportive of your teammates; however, when you're training, you must be critical of your teammates and the team's performance. The purpose of training is to identify what works and what does not work, to figure out the best possible strategies and to identify the correct tactic or tactics for a given situation. In training, the intent is not to win, but to learn and improve.

Making Mistakes

Let's get one thing out of the way right now: training includes the freedom to make mistakes. In order for training to be effective, it must be a space for trial and error. A practice match is your chance to change up the normal order of business and to experiment with creative strategies and tactics. For example, it's a chance to figure out the timing on a specific attack lane or it can be an opportunity to learn how to execute a new strategy. You train so that you avoid the common mistake of changing things at the last minute right before, or during, an event. During tournaments, you should execute what you practiced. Effective teams don't scrim to win, they practice to learn and improve.

Identifying Mistakes

Identifying mistakes involves two separate and distinct components: noticing what went wrong and learning why it went wrong. This is true whether watching a player in a specific circumstance or watching the whole team's gameplay.
First, you must identify the mistake.

• For example: He died in a 1v2, or he died rushing under the bridge.

Second, you must identify why it was a mistake.

• For example: Don't rush forward without support. Or we shouldn't send someone under the bridge alone.

You can't hope to fix a problem until you understand the problem completely.

The best way to identify mistakes is for every member of the team to watch recorded footage. Every member should have the ability to record footage and the capacity to store and process it. Relying on memory alone is faulty at best. Each player only sees a small part of the battlefield, so memory is very limited. Footage will reveal a teammate's exact actions. You cannot afford to be ashamed. You must be open to critique.

It's also important for every teammate to see every other teammate's footage. Knowing what happened from everyone's perspective is crucial if you intend on improving as a team. Again, capture cards are the best way to prevent bullshit.

Here is an example of common bullshit, and the proper response to bullshit:

• Common Bullshit: "I tried to revive you."
  • Proper Response: "The first rule of reviving someone is 'do not cause a casualty.' You should have taken the 1v1. Instead, you died, and I didn't get revived. You've got to work on timing your revives. In order to revive properly, you have to identify threats and know when it's safe to revive and when it's best to deal with the threats." [Notice how detailed and specific the proper response has to be to be effective.]

Assuming that you're serious about winning, and you have a working capture card, you must also watch footage with the right focus. Warriors watch VOD to compare themselves to others and feel superior. Soldiers watch VOD to improve themselves and the entire team. Watch footage of yourself to improve yourself. Watch your teammates' footage to help them improve. Watch all footage to help the entire team improve.

Common Crying About Capture Cards

Another problem for many players is that video capture cards are in standard definition (SD). High definition (HD) capture cards are expensive and not practical for gaming. A common excuse from players is that they do not like to play in SD. What is more important? Playing in a "more beautiful" game or developing your skills and improving your team? What soldier would ever say, "I'm not gonna go to battle until I use a prettier/nicer/more personally pleasing weapon?" There is no excuse for not having a capture card.

Correcting Mistakes

After you correctly determine what went wrong and accurately understand why it went wrong, the next step is to correct what went wrong. If a teammate is rushing in alone, he needs to learn to wait until he has backup. If a teammate is failing to hold a position on his own, the team has to decide if another team member is better at that position, or if the strategy needs to be changed to send two teammates. Generally, these examples of mistakes are easy to identify and correct.

Unfortunately, many problems are more complex. How do you learn to shotgun better or use de-taunt more effectively? Finding a way to fix complex problems is the hard part.

Identifying What Works

How do you identify what works? In some ways, this is more difficult than identifying what went wrong. As you repeatedly try something, there are three possible results:

• It will consistently fail
  • It will consistently succeed
  • It will meet with mixed success

Always failing or always succeeding are the easy situations. The real trick is to understand why a particular action worked some of the time and why the same action failed another time. For example, something may succeed because the enemy made a mistake, but then fail when they took the proper action. In order to train properly, you must understand why certain actions work some of the time, but do not work other times.

Practice What Works

You must practice something so that you increase your chance of executing it flawlessly. You must practice it until it is second nature. Keep in mind that you are practicing for a given situation, and that certain actions will not work in all situations. To train effectively, you must identify the proper action for a given situation, and then practice using it in that specific situation.

Consistently play against teams of the same skill level or slightly higher. When you do so, remember that you are not playing to win, but to improve. The warrior thinks knowledge shared is power given away, but the soldier knows that knowledge shared is power increased and tested. Your team will not win because of secret strategies. It will win because it functions well together, communicates and has a comprehensive team focus. Do not be afraid to tell your opponents what you're trying, and give them the opportunity to counter it. This will teach you when a certain strategy or tactic will not work. This is valuable knowledge indeed!

eReputation is Worthless

Do not be blinded by a team's reputation, or fooled by their lack of one. When you consider the enemy team's strategy, you must take into account both their original strategy, as well as how they adapted it. All that matters is what the opponent actually did in a given situation. It cannot be a matter of what you think of the players, their team, or the number of nut-riding randoms who suck their ePenis on forums. eReps don't pay the bills. All players make mistakes. All teams are beatable.

Don't just scrim, Train!

Training is the process by which teams and players improve. The more you learn while you're training, the more prepared you'll be at competition (or as the Navy saying goes, the more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war). This leads me to the next article, which will address teams at competition.

Jordan "Doomhammer" Kahn
Doomhammer@vvv-gaming.com

Production Coordinator for Riot Games

gallery_5702_228_45546.jpg
"Because two tanks aren't twice as good as one tank. They're five times as good."
j7t9iu.png

#2 Prerogative

Prerogative

Active Forum Contributor

• I need to update my e-mail
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

Great read. I hope that some of the teams read this and take it to heart.
Posted Image
Posted Image
[Posted Image

#3 vVv Zodyak

vVv Zodyak

vVv Honorary Member aka Badass

• Honorary Member
  • 1,454 posts

great write-up!
Posted Image

#4 The Turtle

The Turtle

That Turtle Kid

• 1,782 posts

Amen...
XBL: The Sly Turtle
Halo 4 and Black Ops II Player

#5 Havahk

Havahk

Sexiest Member On This Site

• 399 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

The cap card thing isnt just because its in standard mode.. If you have a good hd tv, like muah.. Try to play any game in standard and it plays/looks like ass.. Everything gets choppy etc. So cap cards that aren't hd should strictly stay sdtv's unless its a p.o.s hdtv

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
- XpL -
GameStop Champs much?

#6 Konvict

Konvict

VIP

• 2,646 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

By far the best article yet! I liked this one alot keep em goin guys!
vVv Konvict
MLG GoW2 Pro Coach
Coach of VisioN

AiM:
vVv Konvict

Posted Image

Rep the Best.

Posted Image

#7 Akbulut

Akbulut

Active Forum Contributor

• 329 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

Great write up! You really did hit the nail on the coffin.

#8 Stitches

Stitches

VIP

• 3,453 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

great write up
Stitches.png

#9 vVv Paradise

vVv Paradise

VIP

• Honorary Member
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Another great read! I love these articles :)
Jason "Paradise" Kuntz
Community Manager,
Duel of Champions
Ubisoft Entertainment
Follow me on Twitter: @vVvParadise
Friend me of Facebook: /vVvParadise

#10 HK.email

HK.email

THAT NEGRO

• I need to update my e-mail
  • 739 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

Definitely the best article so far, I think for future articles there ought to be a video representation of what you mean in order for some people to grasp the concept better. But reading is good too, great article guys! I suggest all teams read this, and even the amateur gamers as well.

Posted Image

(09:17 PM) vVv MaSkeD - Finally someone with the unmatched level of intelligence as myself!

(10:23 PM) vVv MrsViolence - YOU
(10:23 PM) vVv MrsViolence - LOVE
(10:23 PM) vVv MrsViolence - I
(10:23 PM) vVv MrsViolence - RUGG
(10:23 PM) vVv MrsViolence - holy shit

vVv LiThiuM Icon : (Today, 11:57 PM) vVv Rugg has encountered a Fearjin
vVv Rugg: Hey Fear what's up?
Fearjin has fled.

vVv Paradise : (Today, 02:39 PM) Rugg likes to take it nice and slow.... ladies, any takers?

vVv Antidote : (Today, 05:50 PM) Awh<3 i fucking love you rugg, im keeping you around

#11 Chibees

Chibees

I rule the forums!

• 784 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

everything was said with pin-point accuracy, i think everyone should be reading this!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

vVv LordJerith: (Today, 11:56 AM) we leave simple instructions like "share your thoughts" which means to WRITE THEM IN A COMMENT or sometimes we are tricky and we say "Comment with your feedback" which means to LEAVE A COMMENT. I know its tricky, but we have to give you something that is a real puzzle to get in.

#12 Ohadd

Ohadd

Active Forum Contributor

• New Forum Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

This is the best article I read, but one question. I need to buy a capture card and I don't even know how to set it up so if someone could provide a link to buy one and help me set it up I would definitly purchase one.
"Posted Image"

#13 vVv LordJerith

vVv LordJerith

Owner

• Executives
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

This is the best article I read, but one question. I need to buy a capture card and I don't even know how to set it up so if someone could provide a link to buy one and help me set it up I would definitly purchase one.

I recommend: http://www.pinnacles...oducts List.htm
LordJerith
Director of People, Riot Games
Owner, vVv Gaming
Entertain.Educate.Dominate

Follow me on Twitter @LordJerith

#14 Axel

Axel

Dropped

• 130 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

That was such a great write up :) i love reading these

#15 Advocate

Advocate

Chop-Chop Record Holder

• 594 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

Great writeup. Will definately use this to my advantage.

vVvAdvocate.304
Posted Image
vVv LordJerith : (Today, 10:08 PM) EAT IT MOTHAFUCKAAAAAAASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 Metaphor

Metaphor

vVv Historian

• 2,546 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

great read Jerry :)

Metafour.

@JayJackson94

#17 vVv Addiction

vVv Addiction

CoD/Titanfall Talent Scout

• Staff: Moderator
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

Great Write...I can't wait for the next one!

Twitter: vVv_Addiction
GT: vVv Addiction
LoL: vVv Addiction

#18 Dark Star

Dark Star

vVv's 2nd EU Amateur Gamer

• 211 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:27 AM

good read!!

looking forward to the next one!

Posted Image
GT = vVv Dark Star

Posted Image

#19 PMurph

PMurph

Active Forum Contributor

• New Forum Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:02 AM

good read man. Ill learn alot from this

vVv Gaming
Posted Image
Posted Image
Gt:vVv PMurph
Aim:vVv PMurph

RpL
Zodyak Reso Eckhart PMurph

#20 An Ac7 of EviL

An Ac7 of EviL

I need to post more!

• 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

Pretty cool article. Good tips :)
Oh praize the Lord...LordJerith
Check this out!!
Check this out!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop advanced computer eyewear at GUNNAR Optiks.
Change Theme!